• Please log in to reply
1081 replies to this topic

#41 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Hudler is a legitimate top 6 forward, who we shouldn't of let go. Hudler at 4 million is a lot better than Sammy at 3 million. If Brunner wants 3, give it to him.

don't kid yourself, hudler is just as useless as Sammy

#42 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Not gonna lie, with how much cap room we had this season. I would have much more preferred Hudler at 4 million then Sammy at 3...

#43 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Young gifted scorer, who had a nice first NHL season with no training camp and soon to be UFA.

i f the Wings lowball him, he will sign elsewhere so he has all the leverage here. I'd say something between 2,8 and 3,2 would be fair for both sides.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#44 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

I don't understand how people can be so down on Sammy.  He was out all season with injuries.  He played what 2 games?  But that means that he is useless?  As far as Hudler, people may not like him but he has averaged 17 goals a game throughout his career.  He had 20 4 of the past 5 years and 10 in 42 games this year.  He's not a Rocket Richard candidate but he's certainly not useless.

Do or do not. There is no try

#45 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

I don't understand how people can be so down on Sammy.  He was out all season with injuries.  He played what 2 games?  But that means that he is useless?  As far as Hudler, people may not like him but he has averaged 17 goals a game throughout his career.  He had 20 4 of the past 5 years and 10 in 42 games this year.  He's not a Rocket Richard candidate but he's certainly not useless.

I think you meant 17 goals per SEASON, not game.  If he was doing 17 goals per game, people would already be saying "Wayne who?"  ;)  Your points are good ones, though.

As for Brunner, I would have absolutely zero qualms with giving him $3.5 for two years for all of the reasons already mentioned.  You seriously don't let a player like him leave over $1m, assuming he'll take the shorter term contract.  He brings something to the table we sorely lack, and is (hopefully) just getting warmed up.

On the flip side, he'd be a fool to ask for a longer term deal or to bolt from a team that he fits well on, gave him his shot, has a winning tradition, and has linemates he's proven to have some chemistry with.  With a two year deal, he'll only be 29 next time his bell comes up and still very much in his prime.  To my mind, that situation is the safest bet for all parties concerned.  He doesn't wind up playing for a doormat for five years and busting, gets a reasonable amount of money and a lot of great experience.  We get some scoring we desperately need at a reasonable price, and aren't locked into anything if he Leinos.

Edited by Uncle Danny, 17 June 2013 - 01:07 PM.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#46 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'd be totally fine with 3.5 for 2 years. He proves himself at that stage, then let the guy earn some cash. His drop-off worries me a bit, but it's his first year in North America. He's got a wicked shot, and we need more shoot-first players.

#47 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

@RedWingsFeed: TMR: Red Wings forward Damien Brunner auf Deutsch, take two: Last night's... http://t.co/gFNeM30MiS via @KuklasKorner #NHL #RedWings

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#48 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

well last year, prior to December 6 he registered 2 goals on his first 4 games, then went 20 games without a goal. then scored 10 goals in 13 games, then 5 goals in his last 19 games. he only scores goals that are basically empty netters. at least 10-15 goals last year were wide open, he even said so himself in an interview. so this year aside, sammy scored 10 more goals in his last 4 full nhl seasons than Hudler 81 goals for sammy, 71 for huds. So to Hudler is better, or anything of the like is ridiculous, Sammy was a good replacement for huds at a discount, no one could have predicted that many injuries for him, bert or helm, so stop making him out to be on some kind of pedestal compared to sammy please

#49 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

$7M/2yr. Done. I'd do that in a heartbeat if he would accept it. Streit's contract makes me think salaries for FA are going to be inflated, even with the salary cap dropping.

He's RH, he shoots, he skates, and he's competitive. I have faith that he can make great strides in improving his D. 

#50 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

If he wants 2.5 mil for a couple years, great. If he wants more, bye. Very simple.

#51 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

If he wants 2.5 mil for a couple years, great. If he wants more, bye. Very simple.

Thankfully, a lot of people here disagree with you. Hopefully, Kenny Holland does too. I wouldn't bat an eyelash at Brunner getting 3.5 per as long as the contract wasn't more than 3 years. I like the guy, and he seems like he would make a good long term Red Wing--positive on the ice, on the bench, and in the locker room.

If we don't pay him, someone else will. Salaries are going to be "inflated" whether we like it or not. I ain't mad if KH wants to take a chance on Brunner.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#52 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

If Brunner gets more than 2.5 mil, I will be shocked.

#53 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:25 AM

Thankfully, a lot of people here disagree with you. Hopefully, Kenny Holland does too. I wouldn't bat an eyelash at Brunner getting 3.5 per as long as the contract wasn't more than 3 years. I like the guy, and he seems like he would make a good long term Red Wing--positive on the ice, on the bench, and in the locker room.

If we don't pay him, someone else will. Salaries are going to be "inflated" whether we like it or not. I ain't mad if KH wants to take a chance on Brunner.

but flip will certainly be pissed lol, give brunner 3.5 and let flip walk if he won't take less than 4, simple as that

#54 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

In even more cryptic tweeting news, Brunner retweeted Pav's tweet about re-signing...COINCIDENCE?!?!

God, summers without hockey are boring... :(

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#55 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

In even more cryptic tweeting news, Brunner retweeted Pav's tweet about re-signing...COINCIDENCE?!?!

God, summers without hockey are boring... :(

now you're just grasping lol

#56 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

There's a surprising number of people around this site that seem to agree with you, and that's surprising to me.  There are obvious holes in his game, yes.  But he's an unrestricted free agent entering his late 20's - he's not your average "2nd year player".  People seem to think he's in the same category as Nyquist and Andersson, and he's just not - he's older, more experienced, and did more to develop his pro track record this year.  I don't think it will be more than $3 million per, but nothing short of $3.5 million in a 1-3 year deal would "surprise" me. 

If he were on some other team last year, I feel like people would be more understanding of his market value.  LGW'ers seem inclined to assume that the Wings will get this big discount because he's comfortable here...I doubt that's what will happen.  I do want him back.

#57 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

I dont mind going as high as 3 million for him... The kid does have a knack at scoring goals and a full season I could see him reaching close to 25-30, especially after a full training camp. Our biggest lack right now is goal scoring and you dont fix that by trading away one of your better shooters. This was his first year in smaller rink and the reason we made it to the 2nd round and almost the third was because we were able to have guys that could score on our lower lines. We NEED Brunner back unless you plan on spending 5 million in FA for a similar type player. 

#58 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

now you're just grasping lol

:lol: Am not. You take that back!

I think I'm just trying to deflect from the fact that I have the sinking feeling that Brunner is going to cock tease this along until the final hour.

I'd really hate to see him play for another NHL team. I've become attached. Him staying in Switzerland would be more palatable than having to watch him play for...the Panthers...or something.

Have I mentioned that summers without hockey suck?

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#59 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

It's that damn 2nd half slump.

His stats were there in the playoffs, but if you go by the eye test, he was still getting push around a bit (GRANTED, he looked more like 1st half Brunes than 2nd half Brunes). Andersson and Nyquist seemed to make him look pretty good at times. He was the "worst" of those 3 in the playoffs. Again, even though the stats say otherwise.

My primary example is his OT goal against Anaheim: Andersson made the pass, Nyquist caused the commotion, and Brunes was in the right place at the right time to clean up the garbage. There is something to be said about being opportunistic though. Brett Hull made a career out of it....

Edited by unsaddleddonald, 18 June 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#60 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, you've said it four times in just one thread. We get it.

3-years, 2.75 per year.