Photo
- - - - -

Who would you rather have: Marchand or Shaw?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

Their scuffle in game 3 (?) made me wonder this.

Both are big parts of a successful hockey team. Both have skill, grit, athleticism, and an edge.

Personally, I would want Marchand. He seems to have more refined skill than Shaw does. Although Shaw is an all-around good player offensively, Marchand seems to have a better shot, is a better passer, skates faster, and has more discipline. Shaw still seems a bit too immature.

Thoughts?

#2 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Their scuffle in game 3 (?) made me wonder this.

Both are big parts of a successful hockey team. Both have skill, grit, athleticism, and an edge.

Personally, I would want Marchand. He seems to have more refined skill than Shaw does. Although Shaw is an all-around good player offensively, Marchand seems to have a better shot, is a better passer, skates faster, and has more discipline. Shaw still seems a bit too immature.

Thoughts?

I agree I want marchand. To me shaw is still more of an unknown.

#3 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

Shaw.

#4 hudson

hudson

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Well at least Shaw's own teammates like him.

#5 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

Brado!  Hands down!

#6 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Ugh...  Honestly, my initial reaction to that question feels as if it has the same sentiment as which would you rather have, chlamydia or gonorrhea?

But I honestly do get the spirit you intended behind the question and I agree with your answer.  I just despise both players these days. 

If they were to ever come on board as Red Wings then we'll see what happens.  The 'most severe' case of this phenomenon in my lifetime was the conversion of Chris Chelios.  Believe it or not, in his case I still mostly say, "I support whoever wears the Winged Wheel" instead of someone like say Zetterberg who I'm extremely happy is a Red Wing. 

#7 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,160 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

I agree it would take a gun to my head to make me choose, but in that scenario it would have to be Marchand - he's a dick, but Shaw is in a class by himself these days.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#8 Hank Dats 'N Homer

Hank Dats 'N Homer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Im actually really baffled by some responses on here from those who are bashing Marchand. Im not calling anyone out or anything i just honestly had no idea so many people didnt like him. Is there a reason for all the hate? I may be biased, as the Bruins are my second favorite team in the league, but hes been awesome and a crucial player for the team pretty much since the day he joined the squad. Without him, they wouldnt of won the cup 2 years ago. I would take him in a heartbeat. Plays hard eveeyshift and has an edge on him even tho hes not very big. I guess im just curious as to why most of you dont like him?

#9 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

This is like deciding, if you want to jump from the right or left side into the sea. That said easily Shaw. Marchand is just acting tough, because the Bruins tough guys are having his back. This guy would play a very different style, if that wasn't the case. Shaw at least brings a physical element and is usable even without bodyguards.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#10 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

Marchand easy.  Watching him work with Jagr and Bergeron has been awesome.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#11 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

Lucic

#12 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

Im actually really baffled by some responses on here from those who are bashing Marchand. Im not calling anyone out or anything i just honestly had no idea so many people didnt like him. Is there a reason for all the hate? I may be biased, as the Bruins are my second favorite team in the league, but hes been awesome and a crucial player for the team pretty much since the day he joined the squad. Without him, they wouldnt of won the cup 2 years ago. I would take him in a heartbeat. Plays hard eveeyshift and has an edge on him even tho hes not very big. I guess im just curious as to why most of you dont like him?

Well, there is video on Youtube of him diving everywhere. I haven't seen him do much of that in this playoff season, but he does have a history.

Also, there was a game in 2010/2011, Detroit @ Boston, right after the Boston-Dallas brawl game. The Wings were blowing out the Bruins, and Marchand dropped his gloves and tried to fight Patty Eaves. Eaves just looked at him, shook his head, and skated away.

#13 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

Well, there is video on Youtube of him diving everywhere. I haven't seen him do much of that in this playoff season, but he does have a history.

Also, there was a game in 2010/2011, Detroit @ Boston, right after the Boston-Dallas brawl game. The Wings were blowing out the Bruins, and Marchand dropped his gloves and tried to fight Patty Eaves. Eaves just looked at him, shook his head, and skated away.

More reasonntonlike him. We need people actually wollingnto stop the gloves. Sad that eaves is that much of a ***** and not fight him.

#14 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:03 AM

brad i guess. hes a d bag but hes really good. shaw is a pest with some skill, i would honestly hate to see him in a wings jersey.

#15 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:12 AM

More reasonntonlike him. We need people actually wollingnto stop the gloves. Sad that eaves is that much of a ***** and not fight him.

LOL what?!

The score was like 5-0 at that point and there was no scrum beforehand. It was in the middle of the play. It made no sense to fight at that point....

#16 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

marchand is much better

Posted Image

#17 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:16 AM

Marchand, love to hate him. I don't want no filthy Blackhawk on this team.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#18 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:50 AM

Marchand 100% of the time. 

I don't like either of them, but like it or not Marchand is a very skilled hockey player. Shaw is an uglier Maltby basically.

Posted Image

#19 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

Marchand, hands down. He's excellent in the crease.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#20 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

Not even close:

Marchand
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan