• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Red Wings select RW Anthony Mantha 20th Overall

Rate this topic

I don't like this "questionable work ethics" thing, but certainly hope Wings scouts included this in their evaluation

and apparently thought this can be corrected.

otherwise... we got a player with top talent and size. a guy essentially around this 18th pick which is higher than

the Wings have drafted for a good while. if you think Wings could've picked him at this 18th spot than you have to

pass Kindl and move all the way to 1991 and Marty Lapointe at #10. and this is a deep draft!

100% happy? maybe around 2017 when Mantha becomes Wings regular. but at this point it has all signs of good

pick up. good draft, high pick, addressing Wings needs and bringing raw offensive talent.

I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about this pick, but at pick 20, it looks like a hell of a good try! Style comparisons to James Neal and a legit scoring pedigree. (Though ISS compared him to Wojtek Wolski...hmm).

To me, though, the best part of this is the absolute fleecing of San Jose to get the #58 pick (Tyler Bertuzzi). Dave Bolland was traded for the 51 and 117 - we got a second rounder just for moving down 2 slots?!

The scouts might say he has a questionable work ethic, but I guarantee Babcock can get the most effort out of this kid. Even in his interviews he doesn't seem like the same type of personality as Franzen so I won't judge the guy until he plays some games in the AHL and NHL.

I don't know much about him in real life, but he's awesome in NHL 13, drafted him and 2 years later he is an 85 rating as a 20 yr old!!

All kidding aside I believe that he hasn't had to adjust his game very much as he has been the big guy with superior talent for much of his life. Now that he is trying to make the big team it will very much be a matter of him actually needing to improve/change his game. The natural physical gifts are there and with the right direction I forsee success, and we know the wings give good direction.

Guest Johnz96

We just drafted Franzen again, it sounds like.

Most guys drafted 20th overall don't turn out as good as Franzen.

He said his goal is to make the Wings next year. Any of us could tell him he won't, but if he sets goals and busts his ass to meet them, then none of us will be able to question his work ethic. 6'4, has a hell of a shot, looks like he can move his feet....as long as he keeps a good attitude, continues to improve then we have a very good #1 pick. He had 50 goals last season. That's a good start.

The scouts might say he has a questionable work ethic, but I guarantee Babcock can get the most effort out of this kid. Even in his interviews he doesn't seem like the same type of personality as Franzen so I won't judge the guy until he plays some games in the AHL and NHL.

Exactly, a lot of top young prospects that are use to dominating get bored. It's different for a 17-18 year old who probably hasn't lived with his parents for at least a year, life revolves around a sport, and doesn't have social stability. Then these writers wonder why some kids lose focus. That's just my professional opinion...

Good old LGW! The guy has been a RW for 22 hours and already there are those thinking he is Franzen! He is an 18 year old kid with a ton of talent. I am sure Holland, Babcock, Draper, and Chelios never thought of talking to his coach to see what type of effort Mantha puts in. I am sure they just looked at his height and the fact he scored 50 freaking goals-only player to do that last year in junior, and blindly said sign us up!

No he is not a finished product-no one at 18 is. How many of us where? How many of us where our best at 18? Most males don't even stop growing until they are 20/21. we finally fill out in our mid 20's and reach our physical peak between 27-32. That is 10 years from now. Two years from now Mantha could very well be 6-5/220. he is more than willing to drop his gloves to defend his teammates. Go look at the fight links I posted earlier.

This is a great pick for the RW. In fact there are only 2 other guys in this draft that I believe would have been better picks: Jones and Nichuskin.

Good old LGW! The guy has been a RW for 22 hours and already there are those thinking he is Franzen! He is an 18 year old kid with a ton of talent. I am sure Holland, Babcock, Draper, and Chelios never thought of talking to his coach to see what type of effort Mantha puts in. I am sure they just looked at his height and the fact he scored 50 freaking goals-only player to do that last year in junior, and blindly said sign us up!

No he is not a finished product-no one at 18 is. How many of us where? How many of us where our best at 18? Most males don't even stop growing until they are 20/21. we finally fill out in our mid 20's and reach our physical peak between 27-32. That is 10 years from now. Two years from now Mantha could very well be 6-5/220. he is more than willing to drop his gloves to defend his teammates. Go look at the fight links I posted earlier.

This is a great pick for the RW. In fact there are only 2 other guys in this draft that I believe would have been better picks: Jones and Nichuskin.

I'm not sure why you're being so sarcastic and calling out LGW for something no one has really said.

You yourself posted this scouting report on Mantha:

Tall left winger with physicality and scoring prowess, as well as willingness to stick up for his teammates. A physical presence in the Q that has elevated himself into the first round by playing well in each outing. He missed the cut-off to the 2012 draft by one-day, and in 2011-12 has a respectable 22 goals and 51 points in the QMJHL. Increased that to reach the 50 goal plateau this season. He does come with a little concern that he can play uninvovled and unwilling to do much of the dirty work on the back check to unearth pucks. No one wants to start placing labels on junior scorer who come off lacking enthusiasm and full game commitment, but you have to wonder if it leads to his fall down the slottings.

--Bill Placzek--

No one is saying he's condemned to be like Franzen, playing hard only when he feels like it. If you draft a player, you'd naturally rather hear that the kid competes for every puck and is mature for his age. It's obviously not a deal breaker but just a component of his game that will hopefully greatly improve.

Most of the people making the Franzen comparison, myself included, have said exactly what you just did. He's young and far from finished developing.

Guest The Axe

Agreed

Assuming that 99.7% of LGW posters (me included) have never seen Anthony Mantha play a game, you wonder how "work/compete rate" is gauged at such an early level. Some guys who are long and lanky look awkward but actually are moving fast (or fast enough for their size).

It is worth nothing, however, that you really don't see 6'3" 190lb NHL forwards in their mid-20's in the NHL. Guys who are that tall are either on defense, or fill out and become "power forwards".

Despite the production numbers, there have to be holes in his game, or he wouldn't have lasted until 20th. Still, it's an intriguing pick from a part of the draft where the Wings have been finding a lot of legit NHL'ers.

I'm not sure why you're being so sarcastic and calling out LGW for something no one has really said.

You yourself posted this scouting report on Mantha:

No one is saying he's condemned to be like Franzen, playing hard only when he feels like it. If you draft a player, you'd naturally rather hear that the kid competes for every puck and is mature for his age. It's obviously not a deal breaker but just a component of his game that will hopefully greatly improve.

Most of the people making the Franzen comparison, myself included, have said exactly what you just did. He's young and far from finished developing.

There is more than alittle moaing about taking Mantha. In fact the very next post after yours was one poster agreeing with another that "no player taken 20th turns into anything better than Franzen".

Yes I am fully aware of the scouting reports and the way TSN's guys slammed the pick during the broadcast. That is why I have never placed much value in a scouting report. Most of the time, those are nothing more than a snapshot in time. Not who the player really is, or more importantly-who the player will be.

Go back and read the scouting reports on Cory Perry. When he was drafted he was 6-2/195 and considered very undiscipled and a player that many scouts had serious doubts over. he was taken 28th-another player busting the "to late to be good" lie and he has developed nicely. Mantha is the same type of player. But and this is key: Mantha is taller, faster, and a BETTER shooter than Perry was at the same age, and is still taller and faster than Perry today.

Many fans here show their age or lack there of at times like this. For years Yzerman-you know the HOF former captian, was slammed because he only cared about offense. Bowman threated-very seriously, to trade him if he didn't start playing D. This was after Yzerman had been in the NHL for 10 years and was a multiple time AS.

Now is mantha a future AS? Time will tell. But what do we know today? he is tall, fast, scores at will and fights. He is a player in the Shanahan, Perry, Ovechkin mold. Now can he reach that level? We shall see. If I was going to bet, I would bet yes. he has a higher skill level and more natural talent than any other forward in the entire RW system other than Datsyuk.

LOL. What pick was Datsyuk? Zetterberg? Perry? The list goes on and on and on. In fact what pick was franzen? 97th. Therefore it is impossible for any player picked before 97th to be better than a guy picked 97th.

I agree with Richdg on disbelieving so called media experts scouting reports. A good analogy is that team scouts are like professors, media scouting are like 6th grade teachers, and we as fans are 6th grade students. This organization should be the last questioned on their scouting abilities, and draft execution. Babcock was thrilled with the pick, and that's all I need to know.

Edited by MasterPavel

Guest Johnz96

There is more than alittle moaing about taking Mantha. In fact the very next post after yours was one poster agreeing with another that "no player taken 20th turns into anything better than Franzen".

Yes I am fully aware of the scouting reports and the way TSN's guys slammed the pick during the broadcast. That is why I have never placed much value in a scouting report. Most of the time, those are nothing more than a snapshot in time. Not who the player really is, or more importantly-who the player will be.

Go back and read the scouting reports on Cory Perry. When he was drafted he was 6-2/195 and considered very undiscipled and a player that many scouts had serious doubts over. he was taken 28th-another player busting the "to late to be good" lie and he has developed nicely. Mantha is the same type of player. But and this is key: Mantha is taller, faster, and a BETTER shooter than Perry was at the same age, and is still taller and faster than Perry today.

Many fans here show their age or lack there of at times like this. For years Yzerman-you know the HOF former captian, was slammed because he only cared about offense. Bowman threated-very seriously, to trade him if he didn't start playing D. This was after Yzerman had been in the NHL for 10 years and was a multiple time AS.

Now is mantha a future AS? Time will tell. But what do we know today? he is tall, fast, scores at will and fights. He is a player in the Shanahan, Perry, Ovechkin mold. Now can he reach that level? We shall see. If I was going to bet, I would bet yes. he has a higher skill level and more natural talent than any other forward in the entire RW system other than Datsyuk.

LOL. What pick was Datsyuk? Zetterberg? Perry? The list goes on and on and on. In fact what pick was franzen? 97th. Therefore it is impossible for any player picked before 97th to be better than a guy picked 97th.

Lol. I never said anything about it being impossible. I said most guys drafted 20th overall don't turn out as good as Franzen. That wasn't meant as knock against Mantha, it was in response to someone who said we drafted a Franzen and I don't think he meant it as a good thing. Franzen is big, physical has been one of the top goal scorers on one of the top scoring years for 6 years now. He is a significant part of the reason the Wings have been as successful (most wins regular season and in the playoffs over the last 6 years) as they have in that time span.

Here is a list of all the players drafted 20th since 1980.

By 2012 Scott Laughton C Oshawa (OHL) Philadelphia Flyers 2011 Connor Murphy D USA U-18 (USHL) Phoenix Coyotes 2010 Beau Bennett RW Penticton (BCHL) Pittsburgh Penguins 2009 Jacob Josefson C Djurgarden (Swe) New Jersey Devils 2008 Michael Del Zotto D Oshawa (OHL) New York Rangers 2007 Angelo Esposito C Quebec (QMJHL) Pittsburgh Penguins 2006 David Fisher D Apple Valley HS Montreal Canadiens 2005 Kendal McArdle LW Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL) Florida Panthers 2004 Travis Zajac C Salmon Arm Silverbacks (BCHL) New Jersey Devils 2003 Brent Burns D Brampton Battalion (OHL) Minnesota Wild 2002 Daniel Paille C Guelph Storm (OHL) Buffalo Sabres 2001 Marcel Goc C Schwenningen Wild Wings (DEL) San Jose Sharks 2000 Alexander Frolov LW Yaroslavl Torpedo (Russia) Los Angeles Kings 1999 Barrett Heisten LW U. of Maine (NCAA) Buffalo Sabres 1998 Scott Parker RW Kelowna Rockets (WHL) Colorado Avalanche 1997 Mike Brown LW Red Deer Rebels (WHL) Florida Panthers 1996 Marcus Nilson RW Djurgardens IF Stockholm (SEL) Florida Panthers 1995 Denis Gauthier D Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL) Calgary Flames 1994 Jason Botterill LW U. of Michigan (NCAA) Dallas Stars 1993 Mike Wilson D Sudbury Wolves (OHL) Vancouver Canucks 1992 David Wilkie D Kamloops Blazers (WHL) Montreal Canadiens 1991 Martin Rucinsky LW Litvinov CHP HC (Czech) Edmonton Oilers 1990 Martin Brodeur G St. Hyacinthe Lasers (QMJHL) New Jersey Devils 1989 Steven Rice RW Kitchener Rangers (OHL) New York Rangers 1988 Eric Charron D Trois Rivieres Draveurs (QMJHL) Montreal Canadiens 1987 Darren Rumble D Kitchener Rangers (OHL) Philadelphia Flyers 1986 Kerry Huffman D Guelph Platers (OHL) Philadelphia Flyers 1985 Scott Metcalfe C Kingston Canadians (OHL) Edmonton Oilers 1984 Duncan MacPherson D Saskatoon Blades (WHL) New York Islanders 1983 David Jensen F Lawrence Academy (Mass.) Hartford Whalers 1981 Marty Ruff D Lethbridge Broncos (WHL) St. Louis Blues 1980 Steve Patrick F Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) Buffalo Sabres

I think Mantha is a good pick, he probably has the most goal scoring potential out of all our prospects and if he turns out to be as good as Franzen, that's a successful 20th pick. Hopefully he will be even better.

Edited by Johnz96

Guest Kronstantinov

Judging from all the scouting reports and videos posted here, Jeff Carter seems like the type of player he has potential to become.

Judging from all the scouting reports and videos posted here, Jeff Carter seems like the type of player he has potential to become.

Another name in the mix yes. There is a common skill set between guys like Shanny, Perry, malkin, ovechkin, carter etc..... They are all tall. They all will drop the gloves, and they are all shooters. None of them are big time hitters or known for their great D play. It is hard to be in good shooting positions and be in deep on the forecheck.

Guest Kronstantinov

Another name in the mix yes. There is a common skill set between guys like Shanny, Perry, malkin, ovechkin, carter etc..... They are all tall. They all will drop the gloves, and they are all shooters. None of them are big time hitters or known for their great D play. It is hard to be in good shooting positions and be in deep on the forecheck.

Ovechkin is a big time hitter.

Ovechkin is a big time hitter.

I didn't say they were clones. Yes ovechkin hits more than the rest and carter fights less than the others. But from a skill set they are similar to one another. But all are 6-3 or 6-4, 210 to 220 pounds, and have produced 30+ goal seasons. If mantha does that we are in good shape. Put up some 40+ goal seasons and we are golden.

Assuming that 99.7% of LGW posters (me included) have never seen Anthony Mantha play a game, you wonder how "work/compete rate" is gauged at such an early level. Some guys who are long and lanky look awkward but actually are moving fast (or fast enough for their size).

True. To take an analogy from another sport, its like Dimitar Berbatov at Man Utd. A tall, unbelievably skilled player, with a very languid style. Unfortunately he played alongside Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez, two small energizer bunnies who were all over the pitch and make him look lazy because he wasn't chasing down players in the left back position.

Despite the production numbers, there have to be holes in his game, or he wouldn't have lasted until 20th. Still, it's an intriguing pick from a part of the draft where the Wings have been finding a lot of legit NHL'ers.

Someone has already beat me to the Corey Perry analogy, there are plenty of other examples.

BTW, what do you guys think of leaving him in Junior for another year? The kid has already scored 50 goals, other than bad habits, what more can he learn there?

let me restate one thing I said before: this is a deep draft, and Mantha is Wings' highest pick since Kindl/Lapointe (I assume the later, knowing Wings traded their #18 pick to Sharks, being sure they'll get Mantha anyway) with scouting experts' consensus that the guy is ranked around #15 this year.

so, yes, I absolutely think there's big chance for Mantha to gain good position in Wings organization and become a top 6 player sooner than later. Kenny won't rush him, that's for sure, but when he's in, he'll likely make more impact than guys like Nyquist or Smith who already impressed Wings fans. I'll even risk saying he might become Wings regular in late 2015-16 season and provide more impact than Brunner did this season.

I'm quite OK with the fact that the buddy may have holes in his game at the age of 18. was he a complete player he'd probably get scooped right after Seth Jones or even before, right?