• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

Yup. Not to mention they had him playing on his off wing, when he is a natural RW. But yes, when your GM talks in the press about moving you, that does cause issues. BTW what RW forwards have scored over 30 goals in a season more than Ryan has? Z is tied with him at 4, but his last seasons was 08/09.

LOL

Z will move back to wing and be up there (25+) again this season hopefully. When Z scored 40 he was on the wing. Being a C really hampers your ability to score goals. Ryan isn't defensively responsible enough for Holland's taste and gets out-compete often. 

#42 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

In case you hadn't noticed, I was referring to the playoffs. Weiss did not play in the playoffs---the Panthers did not qualify---and Alfredsson had ten points in ten games. If you'd like to look to the regular season, your comparison is still invalid; Weiss played 17 games injured before going out for good, and Alfredsson trailed Ryan by a whopping four points.

Finally---this should be obvious---and most importantly, we didn't trade a first-round pick and two high-level prospects for Weiss or Alfredsson. We got them for salary only.

oh i noticed , you still gotta show up in the regular season so you can make the playoffs and weiss only had 4 pts in 17 games before the injury (funny how you left that out ) and hes still unproven in the playoffs . And as for bobby ryan i think its fair to say the trade talk rumors hes dealt with affected him, he just said today how it was a big relief to finally be traded, prior to that he had 4 consecutive 30+ goal seasons

We wouldnt of given up a 1st and 2 prospects for weiss or alfredsson through a trade and theres a reason for that

alfredsson at 40 yrs old and 5.5 cap hit is way too high (i dont even think selanne made nearly as much money when he was 40) would of rather had him years ago but the fact that hes only one year is more digestable than weiss

#43 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

It's pretty easy to make these claims when there's no responsibility attached, isn't it?

Speaking of claims with no responsibility attached, I'm still waiting for a link or source about Holland losing interest after watching Ryan in the playoffs. 

I don't remember hearing anything of the sort but maybe I missed it. 

#44 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

oh i noticed , you still gotta show up in the regular season so you can make the playoffs and weiss only had 4 pts in 17 games before the injury (funny how you left that out ) and hes still unproven in the playoffs . And as for bobby ryan i think its fair to say the trade talk rumors hes dealt with affected him, he just said today how it was a big relief to finally be traded, prior to that he had 4 consecutive 30+ goal seasons

We wouldnt of given up a 1st and 2 prospects for weiss or alfredsson through a trade and theres a reason for that

alfredsson at 40 yrs old and 5.5 cap hit is way too high (i dont even think selanne made nearly as much money when he was 40) would of rather had him years ago but the fact that hes only one year is more digestable than weiss

Consider this: If we fail to make the playoffs we can trade Alfie to a contender and get a decent pick likely for him - that is a free high pick for us. Weiss is on a moveable contract as well and if we don't need him we could move him as well because he is young enough and has good potential with a bunch of 50+ point seasons with terrible linemates. Also - I doubt the 4 points in 17 games had anything to do with the bum wrist that he ended up getting surgery on... That isn't indicative of how he will play when in Detroit when healthy and with better linemates.  

#45 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Consider this: If we fail to make the playoffs we can trade Alfie to a contender and get a decent pick likely for him - that is a free high pick for us. Weiss is on a moveable contract as well and if we don't need him we could move him as well because he is young enough and has good potential with a bunch of 50+ point seasons with terrible linemates. Also - I doubt the 4 points in 17 games had anything to do with the bum wrist that he ended up getting surgery on... That isn't indicative of how he will play when in Detroit when healthy and with better linemates.  

im sure he will get pts playing with our stars  but i dont think it would be as easy as you might think to trade weiss with the long term and cap hit of almost 5

#46 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

Speaking of claims with no responsibility attached, I'm still waiting for a link or source about Holland losing interest after watching Ryan in the playoffs. 

I don't remember hearing anything of the sort but maybe I missed it. 

It was a rumor, but I'll try to track it down. Until then, lean on the "allegedly" that I deliberately placed within that statement.

Edit: Playmaker found it.

Edited by Crymson, 05 July 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#47 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

It was tweeted by HSJ of the Freep.

#48 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

Link?

But was he a malcontent before they started shopping him around?  (I honestly don't know)

The Ducks dangled Ryan several times.  After a while that's got to get to you as a player.

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 2h
Bobby Ryan off to Ottawa. #RedWings had little interest in Ryan, none after lackluster performance in this year's playoffs against them.

Expand Reply
Retweet

#49 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Players that MIGHT be good for player(s) that ARE good is always a good deal IMO. Sure, there have been some busts on both ends of these types of deal, but I think Sens win this one. 

#50 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

Players that MIGHT be good for player(s) that ARE good is always a good deal IMO. Sure, there have been some busts on both ends of these types of deal, but I think Sens win this one. 

That greatly depends on how high that pick is

#51 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

That greatly depends on how high that pick is

True, but I think it will be lower 1st rounder, but who knows. Anaheim did have the 3rd most points last season, but that was WITH Ryan. 

#52 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Bobby Ryan off to Ottawa. #RedWings had little interest in Ryan, none after lackluster performance in this year's playoffs against them.

Expand Reply
Retweet

There it is. Thanks.

#53 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

There it is. Thanks.

Oh, her? I feel like someone said she wasn't a very reputable source. :P

I am chuckling at the lot of you who are putting your trust in Helene St. James.

#54 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Oh, her? I feel like someone said she wasn't a very reputable source. :P

Like others have said, St. James is a parrot. Random facts are one thing; sweeping predictions are another entirely. The tidbit in question belongs in the former category.

Thanks for all this attention, by the way.

Edited by Crymson, 05 July 2013 - 06:58 PM.

#55 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Like others have said, St. James is a parrot. Random facts are one thing; sweeping predictions are another entirely. The tidbit in question belongs in the former category.

Thanks for all this attention, by the way.

So this one is a fact exactly why other than it helps your case?

When people make comments regarding what Wings players or management have said, I prefer that it's actually backed up with a source is all.  But if you needed the attention then I guess that's an added bonus. 

Specifically regarding this comment about Ryan, I don't put much stock in it because it's St. James.  As you pointed out, she's not a very good source.  They very well may have had little interest in Ryan but I put little faith in her actually knowing the real reasons why.

EDIT:  To clarify, Ryan has been in the league 6 seasons now and has played a ton of games against the Wings, regular season and playoffs.  Holland's decision was most likely on the sum total of what he knows about Ryan and what it would take to acquire him.  Not his 6 last playoff games.  That sounds like a journalist just throwing out a little tidbit of her own.

#56 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

So Bobby Ryan's girlfriend must have big boobs, right????  Right???? 

Bobby Ryan's GF:  Is it just north of Detroit?

"Hey Babe I'm moving us from Orange County to Canada....baby?.......baby?!!

#57 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

Sens better hope they lock this guy up, or it's a waste. 2 years before he's a FA, and Ottawa isn't quite ready to compete in the next 2 years IMO.

#58 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

It's Now or Never, Kenny....

• Silver Booster
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

Expand Reply
Retweet

strange because with that kind of logic, we wouldn't have signed Weiss. He didn't exactly light it up last year but now because of one lousy playoffs, we lost interest in Ryan?

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#59 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

strange because with that kind of logic, we wouldn't have signed Weiss. He didn't exactly light it up last year but now because of one lousy playoffs, we lost interest in Ryan?

Agreed. Though Weiss was due to injury.

It's St. James just spouting things off.  

If the Wings liked Ryan overall it very well could've been better that he was coming off a crappy playoffs so his value wouldn't be as high. 

They very well may not have been interested but I highly doubt his 6 games against the Wings were as big a factor as she's making it sound. 

It'll be interesting to see what he does now that he's out of Anaheim and getting a fresh start. 

#60 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

What she said was that the Wings had little or no interest before, but that his playoff performance kind of sealed it. Not really sure why you're totally over reacting to it.