• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Wing

Parros signs with Montreal

Rate this topic

So Oglethorpe is in the division now. This isn't earth shaking news until say a game in January when suddenly Abdelkader or Bertuzzi (Is Tootoo still around? I lose track anymore) is forced to deal with The Stache.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427051

oops, should have said Montreal acquired Parros. My bad. No recess.

Edited by Jersey Wing

Good move by the Habs. At least they recognize that their plethora of smaller players need protection. Prust and Parros will keep the flies off.

Parros had a mediocre season, to be extremely nice. Hopefully he bounces back, considering he'll be facing guys like Orr, McLaren, and Thornton on a regular basis.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Yeah, they've already got 2 guys to sit in the press box come playoff time.

Prust has been a regular player the last few years in New York and Montreal. Regular season and playoffs.

Why do Wings fans think every fighter automatically sits in the press box in the playoffs?

Amazing how Holland has pussified this team and polluted fans' minds about toughness and grit.

Yeah, with the combined 1-goal and 3-assists in 47 career playoff games, those are clearly the guys you want in.

Add the great Colton Orr and it's still 4 points in 66 games.

Brian McGrattan ... never played in playoffs.

John Scott, 4 playoff games, no points.

I guess it's pussified to want to win games more than win fights.

Yeah, with the combined 1-goal and 3-assists in 47 career playoff games, those are clearly the guys you want in.

Well Shawn Thronton has 2 cups playing as a regular, so its not all the same.

Well Shawn Thronton has 2 cups playing as a regular, so its not all the same.

Yeah, not all fighters and tough guys are offensively challenged. I got a crack out of people suggesting Tootoo can't score, when he put up the same numbers our other 4th liners do.

As for the pure heavies, no they're not there to score. But it's always been that way in NHL history. Your 4th line shouldn't be relied on to score many goals in the playoffs anyway.

I don't think all these GM's are idiots for always having tough guys, while Holland is a genius for not having any.

True enough ... and 1 goal in 89 games. Irreplaceable indeed.

So Boston is stupid for dressing him then? Same with Anaheim?

I don't think they're complaining about Thornton, since he's played on the 4th line in those long playoff runs, and hardly hurt the team.

Are we winning that many games the last few years?

Funny thing is, the Wings won 4 Cups with the 4th line chipping in on goals in a big way, so no you don't rely on them but it's a nice bonus when they do.

Was Boston and Anaheim stupid for dressing Thornton, no, but clearly anyone could've replaced him.

All these guys you so desperately want the Wings to go after all the time are playoff nobodies. I'll admit that I'm not a big fight fan in hockey ... I used to be, back in the days when guys actually hated one another. Now, for the most part, it's just scripted crap and for the most part, pointless. You know going in, who's going to fight who ... what's the point in that? The last Red Wing fight that actually meant something was McCarty pounding Lemieux, for retaliation on the Draper hit the previous year.

Give me fights like that, where guys hate each other. Don't give me Parros-Orr lining up and going before anyone has even started to sweat ... it's gong show nonsense.

Looking back on the last 8 Cup winning teams, the only "goons" who have contributed the their team's SC run was Ben Eager and Thornton.

Edited by stillwater

The last Red Wing fight that actually meant something was McCarty pounding Lemieux, for retaliation on the Draper hit the previous year.

I forgot the Datsyuk - Perry fight. That meant something as well.

Guest DeGraa55

Funny thing is, the Wings won 4 Cups with the 4th line chipping in on goals in a big way, so no you don't rely on them but it's a nice bonus when they do.

Was Boston and Anaheim stupid for dressing Thornton, no, but clearly anyone could've replaced him.

All these guys you so desperately want the Wings to go after all the time are playoff nobodies. I'll admit that I'm not a big fight fan in hockey ... I used to be, back in the days when guys actually hated one another. Now, for the most part, it's just scripted crap and for the most part, pointless. You know going in, who's going to fight who ... what's the point in that? The last Red Wing fight that actually meant something was McCarty pounding Lemieux, for retaliation on the Draper hit the previous year.

Give me fights like that, where guys hate each other. Don't give me Parros-Orr lining up and going before anyone has even started to sweat ... it's gong show nonsense.

Looking back on the last 8 Cup winning teams, the only "goons" who have contributed the their team's SC run was Ben Eager and Thornton.

Let's not forget the best wings team had a grind line which included McCarty. And had several other willing to drop the gloves. Non one is saying you need an pure goon to be good. But guys like a shanahan that score and fight....every good team needs but they're rare.

Let's not forget the best wings team had a grind line which included McCarty. And had several other willing to drop the gloves. Non one is saying you need an pure goon to be good. But guys like a shanahan that score and fight....every good team needs but they're rare.

Well hell freezes over, we agree on something.

Do you see anyone like Brendan Shanahan listed within this thread? A 40-goal scorer who can fight?

BTW, the Shanahan trade is the greatest trade the Wings made in my lifetime.

Let me ask you something ... the '97 SC team had Joey Kocur on that squad. One of the greatest one-punch KO artists the NHL has ever seen. Who do you think the Flyers were more concerned about, Kocur, or Vladimir Konstantinov ... who never fought?

It is useless to discuss the need for grit, size and an enforcerif people just don't want to understand it. The Habs adding another tough guy in Tarnasky should be a big warning shield in terms of what to expect in the east. Canadiens got pushed around, run around and punched around last year like nothing, that's why MB is adding size and tough guys to the line-up.

I'm oldschool if someone runs our young-guns or stars I want him to pay on the ice for it, you can't count on that NHL clown Shanahan because not even the players know, what is and what isn't a suspension. Remember when Lidström got kneed by that Avalanche jerk? Downey was there to take care of business and it was a binding element for the whole team. There is a reason why those guys are getting jobs and players feel saver with having them in the lineup. Guess what I think Prust has to be one happy guy now, he can focus on taking on guys in his weight-class instead of going up against the beasts from the east.

There is no harm in having a guy, playing 10 - 20 games a season with a salary of around 700 - 1.000k to protect your star players and young guns. Maybe the Wings and some guys who don't believe that the Wings need to get meaner and tougher to play against have to see the actions in the east firsthand before acknowledging that fact.

Edited by frankgrimes

Guest Playmaker

You can be as old school as you want. But the league has changed, the rules have changed and things just aren't the same as they used to be. McCarty and Shanahan were 15 years ago. If you live in today's NHL, you'll se there just aren't that many guys who can score and drop the gloves on a regular basis. The cap has made keeping a goon on the roster who can't score or play well defensively a cost effective impossibility. Montreal can have Parros.