Photo
- - - - -

NHL Network 1995 Final VS NJ 12-3pm EST Today

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

Just letting everyone know that the NHL Network will be showing Game 4 of the 1995 SC Final vs New Jersey today from 12-3pm EST.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#2 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

Left wing lock!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#3 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,072 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Repressed memory. No thanks.

#4 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

1995 never happened - it's all propaganda!  The season was cancelled.  Yeah, that's it - cancelled.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#5 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

Oh yeah!  Let's all subject ourselves to that on a lovely Friday.

Seriously though, I had NHL Vault during the season, so I did put on one of those games while working out a few months ago.  I think Emrick was calling the game.  It was an amazing bit of nostalgia, and not as depressing as I thought it would be.  Then again, it was not Game 4 (Game 2, maybe?), so you didn't have that impending sense of doom.  I was so depressed by Game 4, we were at Harsens Island that weekend and I don't even think I watched it.  Four Cups later, it's much easier to accept losing than it was back before we had put the streak to bed.  2009 was tough losing a Game 7 at home and all, but it's not even in the same ballpark as 1995, or (arguably) even the '99 loss to Colorado or 2001 to the KIngs.

#6 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

Repressed memory. No thanks.

This.

1995 never happened - it's all propaganda!  The season was cancelled.  Yeah, that's it - cancelled.

That's the way I remember it.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#7 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

No, I remember 95.  2009 Game 7 though?  I have no memory of that.  I'm guessing aliens were involved somewhere along the way.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#8 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,072 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

2009 Game 7 though?  I have no memory of that.  I'm guessing aliens were involved somewhere along the way.

*LALALALALALA* I can't hear you! *LALALALALALA*

#9 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

No, I remember 95.  2009 Game 7 though?  I have no memory of that.  I'm guessing aliens were involved somewhere along the way.

Wow, you've got issues. You don't remember the 2009 game 7 because THERE WAS NO 2009 GAME 7! The Wings won the Stanley Cup in 6. Lidstrom retired with 5 rings, and all was right with the world.

I'm sure many here remember it the same way.
  • Nev likes this

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#10 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

A sweep, I can handle. It means we were the lesser team. Or we didn't want it as much. Or whatever. Point is, there's really nothing to argue. No nagging what-ifs. We lost, fair, square, and definitively.

Now, that 2009 loss, on the other hand...I stopped following hockey for a couple of seasons.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#11 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

Pretty sure the NHL was locked out in 2009.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#12 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Don't get me wrong, 2009 sucked hard, but I think for older fans 1995 was the greater heartbreak.  Decades of watching a mediocre team, only to get thisclose and be decimated.  

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#13 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Don't get me wrong, 2009 sucked hard, but I think for older fans 1995 was the greater heartbreak.  Decades of watching a mediocre team, only to get thisclose and be decimated.  

Fair enough. I was only...eight? Actually, I think that was my first *official* season of NHL and Wings fandom. It broke my heart, I do remember that, but I can only imagine how much it must've sucked for the older fans. (I live in PA. Not a long of Wings fans here.)

I remember Bowman saying it was the greatest (worst) dispappointment of his life.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#14 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

Agreed.

2009 was a heartbreaker for sure, but they'd won 4 Cups in ten years.

Their run in '95 seemed like it was finally going to be the Wings year after such a long drought. When they got demolished by Jersey, it felt like they were condemned to never to win it again.

#15 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

I remember Bowman saying it was the greatest (worst) dispappointment of his life.

I remember one of the games (2?) he absolutely tore the team to shreds in public.  I can still remember his line about the players not needing a shower.

As a relatively new fan (since 92-93) I found it all a bit confusing.  After each defeat I was like "its OK, we're better than them, we'll win the next one".  And then we'd lose the next one, and before you knew it, it was 4-0 and all over.  The never winning again feeling came in 96 - how could we be that good and still not win the Cup?

Edited by Nev, 23 August 2013 - 05:00 PM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#16 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

The never winning again feeling came in 96 - how could we be that good and still not win the Cup?

Absolutely.

I hated the Avs with all of my heart, soul, mind, body, everything. And I was...nine?

'97 was glorious. Much more so for the older fans, I'm sure.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#17 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

2009 was worse in retrospect.  

The Wings won numerous Cups after the 1995 loss, while they've only gotten worse as a team since the 2009 loss.  Of course if we win another Cup with this roster, it would quench the bitterness, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.  

Also, they were never close to the Cup in 1995.  They were freaking swept.  Game 7 at home is as close as you can get to winning the Cup  There's so many plays and bounces you can look back on in that 2009 series.  What play could have turned the 1995 series around?  Hard to point to any, since the team got beat so easily.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#18 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

A sweep, I can handle. It means we were the lesser team. Or we didn't want it as much. Or whatever. Point is, there's really nothing to argue. No nagging what-ifs. We lost, fair, square, and definitively.

Now, that 2009 loss, on the other hand...I stopped following hockey for a couple of seasons.

LOL.  That explains why you were absent from LGW for some time.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#19 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

*cold shower as on hold with crisis hotline*
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#20 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, I could not watch this. Too vivid in the mind still. Heartbreaking.