• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

I was cleaning my garage last weekend and decided to go though a box of some of my old stuff my dad dropped of about a month ago. 

This is had been in storage in his attic since I moved out in 1999. 

Attached File  20131014_141230.jpg   377.49KB   18 downloads

It was a collection of my Yzerman cards I thought I had lost. I do have a rookie but that is on a plaque hanging in my basement. 

Attached File  20131014_141243.jpg   170.07KB   8 downloads

And I also found this guy, back when I collected cards I had no clue he would turn out to be the perfect human.

Attached File  20131014_141236.jpg   146.19KB   9 downloads

My Wife asked if they were worth anything, I said not nearly close enough to even consider.

I thought I would share.  

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#2 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Awesome stuff.  Can't believe you managed to collect that many Yzerman cards.  I found all of my old NHL cards from back in the day about a year ago and it's funny seeing rookie cards for guys who ended up being stars in the league.

#3 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

Wow.  I've never been into cards or collecting, but that's amazing.

You're lucky they didn't get thrown out.  My grandma threw out all of my dad's "toys" when he went to college.  All of his baseball cards from the 1950's, including the entire '55 Yankees. 

I have no idea if modern hockey cards are valuable, but the sentimental value alone makes those priceless.

#4 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

For those that don't know the cards they have been making the last 5 ish years have chunks of actual game worn jerseys in them. They are actually worth more than older cards of recent retiring players who's rookie cards were popular in the mass produced 90s. I guess they are much more rare now with bits of jerseys in them?

#5 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

For those that don't know the cards they have been making the last 5 ish years have chunks of actual game worn jerseys in them. They are actually worth more than older cards of recent retiring players who's rookie cards were popular in the mass produced 90s. I guess they are much more rare now with bits of jerseys in them?

A way to sell cards since no one buys them anymore

#6 nmuwildcat

nmuwildcat

Jr. Prospect

• 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

As a collector of jerseys, I weep when I see a perfectly good jersey cut up into tiny squares for those trading cards.

#7 heikks86

heikks86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

A way to sell cards since no one buys them anymore

obviously thats not true since the card companies are still in business and theres tons a new cards out each month

#8 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

I still have tub's of unopened hockey cards from the 90s... I really should get to opening them someday. Oh well, they're at my parents anyways. Awesome collection you got there man and even better than you found them after originally thinking they were gone forever! Maybe we should open a hockey card thread to showcase different collections. I'm sure some of you guys here got some outstanding ones. 

As for the new cards with the sweaters in them. They're actually pretty cool but I was stunned when I saw my first one the other month. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#9 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

I have a 02/03 Pacific Kovalchuk card with a piece of stick blade, jersey and autograph (1 per case). It's one of my favorite non-Wings cards. They've been doing memorabilia cards for over 10 years now. One that I really liked was the Be A Player Ultimate Memorabilia cards. They were $100 per pack (1 Beckett Graded card), which is insane, but I got 3 cool ones: Plante/Roy game worn jersey pieces, Michel Goulet (jersey, auto), and Guy Lapointe (jersey). I had to step away from collecting when it got waaaay too expensive heh.

#10 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

Didn't know where I should put this so I'm putting it here.

Pretty sure I just found...Doc Emrick at the Tigers game.  Looked like they had him on camera in Tigers gear.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."