• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Fonzarelli

Babcock's coaching

Rate this topic

I was glad to see his honest evaluation about his coaching. I think all of us fans were thinking the same thing. Has Babcock become too complacent, just like his players? It appears that there is no discipline. A big thing, for me are the linecombinations. I realize he's in a pickle because virtually everybody is underperforming. Some players just need to be sat down. Has Zetterburg called a team meeting? Regardless, something is seriously wrong with the team. The source needs to be sorted out and fixed - pronto.

We are in waters we haven't been in for a very long time. Babcock needs to, and will, find a way to evolve with this team. There is alot of inexperienced players in the line up which normally have their growing pains, plus there are some lingering pains (Leaders not leading -Franzen), Some dead weight (Samuelsson), new players adjusting (Weiss, Alfie) and key injuries and more. Thats a whole lot to contend with all at once but I have no doubt Babcock will figure it out and get things back on course and this diversity now will be our strength come play off time. Last season was a rough one but the team came together at the right time... I know its hard to watch but it will happen again this year also.

Ill atleast give Babs credit for admitting to his suckery as a coach this year and not just putting it all on the players. My only worry is that hes not making any impact in the players hes coaching anymore.

For those who didn't see it, here's his comments:

“If I’m coming in from the outside and watched our team play, I’d say they didn’t have a coach,’’ Babcock said. “That hurts my feelings, but that’s a fact.

“I told that to the team today, we’re not organized enough, we’re not efficient. When I go watch a team play and they don’t play well, I go, ‘I wonder what they’re doing out there.’ ’’

Even when the Red Wings were 6-2, including wins at Boston and Colorado, Babcock didn’t believe they were playing the right way, calling the record “fool’s gold’’ and knew it could catch up to them.

“There’s a right way to play and a wrong way to play,’’ he said. “We’re cheating the system and we’re paying for it.

“We don’t spend enough time in the O-zone because we’re too light on the puck. We don’t get enough shots because we won’t shoot the puck. We don’t get through the neutral zone good because we don’t execute.’’

That’s not a lot of positives, but he added, “When I go through the tape, rewind it, fast forward and back and forth, we’re not that far away, but we’re a million miles away if we don’t execute, and that’s us right now.’’

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/10/mike_babcock_on_slumping_red_w.html

I'm reminded of our six game losing streak two years ago that offset our perfect 6-0 start. We scored something like 5 goals during that winless stretch, yet later that season we set the record for consecutive home wins.

Of course we have more question marks in terms of personnel this year than in seasons past, but it's not like hitting a cold streak is anything new to any team in the nhl. This is the nature of the game and until we see something nearing a "colorado 2 wins in 18 games" record, I ain't too worried.

His comments are spot on of course. but is babcock the guy on the ice? no. All of the things he talked about have to be done by the players. if the players will not or can not do those things, then they need to be replaced.

These things-hard on the puck and shoot more are things we have all talked about for years. But the question is, we all have been asking for these things and the players-at forward are the same. They can't do what we all want. Sammy and franzen are not going to become physical players at their advanced ages. That is on Holland. he has done a great job at rebuilding our D and developing great depth at D and G. But our forward group is garbage and has been for several years. Young guys have not been developed and we have not made trades/signed UFA's to fill the void. This is not on babcock. he is merely playing the hand he was given.

I'm reminded of our six game losing streak two years ago that offset our perfect 6-0 start. We scored something like 5 goals during that winless stretch, yet later that season we set the record for consecutive home wins.

Of course we have more question marks in terms of personnel this year than in seasons past, but it's not like hitting a cold streak is anything new to any team in the nhl. This is the nature of the game and until we see something nearing a "colorado 2 wins in 18 games" record, I ain't too worried.

I like that you're trying to keep perspective, but when teams go on losing streaks, it's not always because of something structural like it is with the Wings. And their offense probably doesn't dry up like the Wings has.

This is not new, the Wings have had trouble scoring consistantly for the last 3-4 years. Fresh blood is the answer. Sammy, Cleary are water trash. Burtuzzi is old and lazy. Franzen is lazy, and Weiss was a HUGE waste of money. Flipulla was always a superior player, with the higher potential.

I thought moving to the East would help the Wings, less travel, fresh division, new opponents, but no. Same old problems. Same old roster filled with the same familar street bums. Next season, Quiency, Cleary, Bert, Sammy, should all be sent out to pasture to die. Wastes of cap space. Get the rookies in here, they may suck for half a season, but at least they have the potential, and the desire, to win and play well.

Edited by TheOwl

I thought moving to the East would help the Wings, less travel, fresh division, new opponents, but no.

It's been twelve games, dude. Four of those were against Western teams. We went 1-2-1 against them. Against the Eastern teams, on the other hand, we've gone 5-2-1. The two losses were absolute no-shows (as opposed to games in which we, say, gave our all but came up short against clearly superior teams), and, actually, so was the overtime loss.

Once we get rolling, we'll be fine.

It's been twelve games, dude. Four of those were against Western teams. We went 1-2-1 against them. Against the Eastern teams, on the other hand, we've gone 5-2-1. The two losses were absolute no-shows (as opposed to games in which we, say, gave our all but came up short against clearly superior teams), and, actually, so was the overtime loss.

Once we get rolling, we'll be fine.

last five years..same

I was glad to see his honest evaluation about his coaching. I think all of us fans were thinking the same thing. Has Babcock become too complacent, just like his players? It appears that there is no discipline. A big thing, for me are the linecombinations. I realize he's in a pickle because virtually everybody is underperforming. Some players just need to be sat down. Has Zetterburg called a team meeting? Regardless, something is seriously wrong with the team. The source needs to be sorted out and fixed - pronto.

Who is Zetterburg?

The problem is that we need younger, more skilled forwards to replace Cleary and Tuzzi (Tatar/Nyquist/Jurco). We need Helm back in the line up and we need to give quick young grinders like Glendening spots on the team before Holland prematurely blows a wad to sign Miller, who was his 1st signing this summer. Not a bad player, but redundant and easily replaceable. It's more to do with the GM doing a bad job than Babcock using the lame tools he's given.

This is not new, the Wings have had trouble scoring consistantly for the last 3-4 years. Fresh blood is the answer. Sammy, Cleary are water trash. Burtuzzi is old and lazy. Franzen is lazy, and Weiss was a HUGE waste of money. Flipulla was always a superior player, with the higher potential.

I thought moving to the East would help the Wings, less travel, fresh division, new opponents, but no. Same old problems. Same old roster filled with the same familar street bums. Next season, Quiency, Cleary, Bert, Sammy, should all be sent out to pasture to die. Wastes of cap space. Get the rookies in here, they may suck for half a season, but at least they have the potential, and the desire, to win and play well.

Except Filppula went back to his old ways last year and played like a peewee turd so the Wings let him go. In Tampa, he's currently playing like a guy that's worth 5 mil. Last year he was playing like a guy who deserved 1.5 mil.

Except Filppula went back to his old ways last year and played like a peewee turd so the Wings let him go. In Tampa, he's currently playing like a guy that's worth 5 mil. Last year he was playing like a guy who deserved 1.5 mil.

Flip had all the time and opportunities and resources in the world to prove he was an essential part of this team going forward. But he disappointed, season after season after season. Many - if not most - nights he was practically invisible. Potential's great, but at some point you have to deliver, and he hadn't delivered in line with what he was demanding in coin and term.

"Yeah, but there was that one season!"

OK, great. There was that one season - which, sort of strangely, wasn't his contract year. Which sort of makes you wonder. Maybe Flip wasn't especially happy here. As opposed to this notion that he was carrying the team on his back and would've played for free if it meant staying a Detroit Red Wing, but no, we kicked him out the door as hard as we possibly could and said NEVER COME BACK, cold as that.

As for Weiss - I've said it before and I'll say it again: I've seen my fair share of Panthers hockey, and my humble assessment of Weiss - before we were even talking about him here as a possible Flip replacement - was, and remains, this: he's good. Really good. He's having a hard time adjusting to a new system and getting back into the swing of things after having missed a lot of time due to surgery. Ultimately, he's going to be good for us. I really have no good reason to believe otherwise. And, come on, Zetterberg's never had a cold streak?

Guest Crymson

This is not new, the Wings have had trouble scoring consistantly for the last 3-4 years.

The Red Wings placed 2th overall in goals scored in 2010-2011, and 6th in 2011-2012. Does that reflect trouble?

Sammy, Cleary are water trash. Burtuzzi is old and lazy. Franzen is lazy.

Cleary, Samuelsson, and Bertuzzi (e, not u) will not be on the team next season. Franzen is lazy but talented, and puts up 50-60 points per season. He could do much better, but he is not a problem.

and Weiss was a HUGE waste of money. Flipulla was always a superior player, with the higher potential.

Weiss outperformed Filppula in every single season aside from the past two---and the last should not be taken into account, as he was injured throughout---and did so on a vastly inferior team. Filppula failed to substantially improve in his first five seasons, then had what was seemingly his breakout season before regressing to career-worst numbers in the next. The word "potential" can therefore hardly be applied.

It bears mention, too, that his numbers are currently very inflated.

Edited by Crymson

Flip had all the time and opportunities and resources in the world to prove he was an essential part of this team going forward. But he disappointed, season after season after season. Many - if not most - nights he was practically invisible. Potential's great, but at some point you have to deliver, and he hadn't delivered in line with what he was demanding in coin and term.

OK, great. There was that one season - which, sort of strangely, wasn't his contract year. Which sort of makes you wonder. Maybe Flip wasn't especially happy here. As opposed to this notion that he was carrying the team on his back and would've played for free if it meant staying a Detroit Red Wing, but no, we kicked him out the door as hard as we possibly could and said NEVER COME BACK, cold as that.

As for Weiss - I've said it before and I'll say it again: I've seen my fair share of Panthers hockey, and my humble assessment of Weiss - before we were even talking about him here as a possible Flip replacement - was, and remains, this: he's good. Really good. He's having a hard time adjusting to a new system and getting back into the swing of things after having missed a lot of time due to surgery. Ultimately, he's going to be good for us. I really have no good reason to believe otherwise. And, come on, Zetterberg's never had a cold streak?

Remember two seasons ago, z didn't score a goal in his first 12 games, everyone called for him to be traded and he was washed up, people love hitting the pavid button and rarely do people have patience

STOP THAT. I'm agreeing with you way too much today. Say something provocative!

Oh really? The Red Wings have placed 13th, 8th, 6th, and 7th in goals scored scoring over the past four seasons, respectively. Only the Sharks, Canucks, Blackhawks, and Capitals have done comparably well over that span.

Cleary, Samuelsson, and Bertuzzi (e, not u) will not be on the team next season. Franzen is lazy but talented, and puts up 50-60 points per season. He could do much better, but he is not a problem.

Weiss outperformed Filppula in every single season aside from the past two---and the last should not be taken into account, as he was injured throughout---and did so on a vastly inferior team. Filppula failed to substantially improve in his first five seasons, then had what was seemingly his breakout season before regressing to career-worst numbers in the next. The word "potential" can therefore hardly be applied.

It bears mention, too, that his numbers are currently very inflated.

What are you talking about? Goals scored has been droping.

2010/11 we were 2nd in the NHL

2011/12 we were 7th in the NHL

2012/12 we were 20th in the NHL

This season we are 23rd.

Worse every year for 4 years now. A strong negative slope (for you statistic majors).

Nice for him to admit some mistakes but in the end, he can only rank the available players given by his GM (Kenny).I am honestly starting to think Mike and Kenny aren't on the same page. Babcock wants to play a grind it out, puck-possession style while Holland seems to prefer a run and gun system. At the end of the day the players have to at least give a full effort every time they are outthere, yes mistakes are going to happen since they aren't robots but I think an honest hardworking lose is better for the moral than a lucky undeserved victory like Babock called "golden fool".

I mean, he can juggle the lines around as often as he wants but at some point it is his responsibility to walk up to Holland and tell him:,,Look the current roster can't execute my gameplan give me some upgrades" and then Holland has to deliver, period.

At the moment I think the DetroitRedWings struggles are a combination of a lot of things:

no youthline, not enough speed, coaching + GM mistakes, lack of compete/hardwork and some bad bounces

I didn't list injuries here, because every team has to deal with them so excuse here. Anyway, the year to really suck and get a BIG prize at the end of the season would be next year there's a guy named Connor McDavid :-)