• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pucktividi

The Niklas Kronwall Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

A lot of negativities(for a reason) are discussing on the forum lately,but what about this guy?

Hitting,blocking,playing responsible for 20+ minutes every game and still manage to have 11 points in 12 games on a team with the scoring issues.

Well done Nick Junior,your mentor #5 must be proud of you. :clap:

I'm always down for a Kronner love fest. He never asked to be a #1, but he has stepped up the best he can and his game has grown because of it. He busts his ass night in and night out, and for the most part he has been nothing but solid and reliable. To me he embodies what it means to be a Red Wing--humble, classy, and hardworking.

Kronwall is currently my favorite Red Wing defender and favorite NHL defender. I know he'll rediscover his Kronwalling ways and get us excited again when he crushes an opponent with a clean, bone breaking hit. Hes a game changer, a difference maker, and I appreciate Kronwall for all hes worth to this team. He's made the absence of Lidstrom a lot less painful.

Thanks Kronwall for everything you do.

I hope the misconception that he isn't a number 1 defensman has faded. He's quietly been leading this team on defense and is among the top defensman statistically league-wide.

Edit: he has also turned blocking shots into an art-form, which I think is by far the most overlooked aspect of his game.

Edited by Echolalia

It hasn't :

@georgemalik: Red Wings off-day news: on the Alumni Showdown training camp, Drake, Avery, Babcock and Kronwall http://t.co/8L9cRes2VJ

Ok, so I'm gonna quote myself because now I feel like bitching about this.

So in the link above, Kypreos refers to Kronner as "not a number 1."

So are you telling me that he truly believes there are *30* defensemen in this league right now that are better?! I don't get this not a number 1 bulls***! He is no Lidstrom. NO ONE CURRENTLY PLAYING IS. There are maybe 10-12 defensemen that you could justifiably rank above Kronner.

????????????

Then how is he not number 1 material? There are 30 teams! Do the other 29 all have better #1s than the Wings?

Yeah, didn't think so. SMH

Ok, so I'm gonna quote myself because now I feel like bitching about this.

So in the link above, Kypreos refers to Kronner as "not a number 1."

So are you telling me that he truly believes there are *30* defensemen in this league right now that are better?! I don't get this not a number 1 bulls***! He is no Lidstrom. NO ONE CURRENTLY PLAYING IS. There are maybe 10-12 defensemen that you could justifiably rank above Kronner.

????????????

Then how is he not number 1 material? There are 30 teams! Do the other 29 all have better #1s than the Wings?

Yeah, didn't think so. SMH

That was always my argument.

Like you alluded to, everyone in Detroit got so used to having Lidstrom as a number 1 defensman that he became the new standard, and Kronwall definitely isn't on that level. But the folks who use this argument are mistaking top 30 defensman with top 2 defensman all-time (and I would argue top defensman all-time but that's for another thread).

kronwall is definitely a lot better defensively this year compared to last. its obviously sad to not see him kronwalling people, but as long as he continues to play solid hockey like this, i dont see how we can complain.

regarding the #1 dman issue, i think a lot of it comes down to semantics. several in this article have referenced the fact that there are literally 30 #1 dmen in the league. but for many, the term #1 D (or top line center, or elite goalie) reference a specific subset of that group. that is when it can end up leaving out a guy like kronwall. is kronwall in the top 30 for best defensemen? is kronwall the best dman on his team? is he at that elite level that constitutes him being considered a true #1 dman? the first 2 questions most all agree are yes. its that last one that give some people problems. and please don't jump on me specifically, i am not saying i agree with the opinion, just understanding where people are coming from...

I know where you're coming from Dobbles, its just poor terminology when people refer to a "true #1 d-man", when they actually mean elite/HOF quality. There are only about 3 active players that fit their criteria who are either elite offensively and very good defensively (or vice-versa) and if you're elite at both your name is Nick Lidstrom, Ray Bourque or Bobby Orr.

Kronwall is good to very good at both ends of the rink but is neither elite defensively (eg Chara, Webber) or elite offensively (eg Subban, Karlsson) to push him into that top-10. He's in that next group down in the 10-20 ranking.

What annoys me is people don't apply the same strict criteria to other positions. Where Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos are the only "true #1 centres" in the NHL.

I know where you're coming from Dobbles, its just poor terminology when people refer to a "true #1 d-man", when they actually mean elite/HOF quality. There are only about 3 active players that fit their criteria who are either elite offensively and very good defensively (or vice-versa) and if you're elite at both your name is Nick Lidstrom, Ray Bourque or Bobby Orr.

Kronwall is good to very good at both ends of the rink but is neither elite defensively (eg Chara, Webber) or elite offensively (eg Subban, Karlsson) to push him into that top-10. He's in that next group down in the 10-20 ranking.

What annoys me is people don't apply the same strict criteria to other positions. Where Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos are the only "true #1 centres" in the NHL.

I might be in the minority here, but I think Chara is one of the most overrated defensman in the league.

I love me some Kronwall. He's been there when we needed him most this year. He's solid night in and night out and manages to put up points consistently. He also manages to take up a lot of my time when I get lost on youtube watching people get Kronwalled over and over again