Photo
- - - - -

Would Samuelsson ever consider retiring mid-season?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 RedSea

RedSea

Rookie

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

At this point it is beyond obvious that he just doesn't belong on the Wings roster. Despite logging PP time, he has only mustered 3 points in 25 games, a (-4) rating and a horrible 2.9% shooting percentage.

If having a right handed shot on the PP is so important while Alfie is hurt, why not use Eaves? He is more athletic than Samuelsson and has the same amount of goals (1) in 15 games and 3.3% shot.

I'm just frustrated that we have either high energy guys like Tootoo or skilled young guys like Jurco buried in GR. I'm not a coach or GM, but c'mon Mikel, do the right thing.

#2 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

To answer your question, No.

#3 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

Would Holland?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#4 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

Why would he ever surrender half a seasons pay? To just placate us fans is not a good enough reason.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#5 RedSea

RedSea

Rookie

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

Why would he ever surrender half a seasons pay? To just placate us fans is not a good enough reason.

Couldn't Holland offer him a a 1 year desk job for $1.5mil? ;)

#6 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

Couldn't Holland offer him a a 1 year desk job for $1.5mil? ;)

It's gonna have to been one big ass desk. Plus I think he already has an assigned chair in the press box.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#7 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

There has to be some way to get rid of this guy. With all our injuries haven't we freed up enough cap space to be able to just buy him out and use the roster spot for someone else? 

Time is running out and Kenny is sitting on his hands. Then we'll get healthy and Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening and Eaves will be sent down while Sammy remains. 

#8 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

There has to be some way to get rid of this guy. With all our injuries haven't we freed up enough cap space to be able to just buy him out and use the roster spot for someone else? 

Time is running out and Kenny is sitting on his hands. Then we'll get healthy and Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening and Eaves will be sent down while Sammy remains. 

Can't buy him out until after the season and by then he'll be a free agent anyway. You can never call an injury fortunate but boy was the injury he had before the season timely for him; we couldn't buy him out which it saved him 3 mil.

#9 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

Is there a team in Sweden that would want him?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#10 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

We aren't that lucky. He's going to milk every penny and completely suck at hockey at the same time. Best case scenario is somebody gets healthy maybe and he goes back to rotting in the press box.

#11 SimonSin

SimonSin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

Samuelsson, Bertuzzi and Cleary are gone next year for SURE. Those three players are costing us 7 million. Man, we could sure use ONE player that would be worth 7 million right about now.

#12 RedSea

RedSea

Rookie

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

Samuelsson, Bertuzzi and Cleary are gone next year for SURE. Those three players are costing us 7 million. Man, we could sure use ONE player that would be worth 7 million right about now.

I have this gut feeling that at least one of those 3 will be back, taking up a roster spot for one of the much more deserving Griffins. I hope I'm wrong.

#13 SimonSin

SimonSin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

I have this gut feeling that at least one of those 3 will be back, taking up a roster spot for one of the much more deserving Griffins. I hope I'm wrong.

No way!! I'd bet everything I have that Bert, Cleary and Sammy have seen their last days, not only as Red Wings but probably in the NHL.

#14 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

I'm getting a genuinely bad feeling Cleary will be re-signed. The support for Cleary has been so over the top from everyone associated with the team, they all still view him as essential. Holland seemed ready to waive him In late November, but then all these injuries hit and the Cleary PR offensive began and now I'm not so sure he walks. Holland will have to be the one to put his foot down.

Ideally of the three, Bert will be brought back as I think he's been a good veteran presence with some skill.

But boy, Sammy sure has worn out his welcome. At least fans still like Cleary as a person. Sammy just went and pissed everyone off in and outside the organization.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#15 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

No way!! I'd bet everything I have that Bert, Cleary and Sammy have seen their last days, not only as Red Wings but probably in the NHL.

Don't make that bet, Bert will be back.

#16 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,057 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

I'm expecting everyone back. These injuries are perfect justification for Holland's vision of the team. Load up on "veteran depth," don't cut any ties, keep the kids down, BAM! STANLEY CUP!

(Sammy won't be back. Bert might. Cleary, probably not, though I wouldn't rule him out. Of the three, I'd only be ok with Bert returning - and even him, I dunno.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#17 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

I'm expecting everyone back. These injuries are perfect justification for Holland's vision of the team. Load up on "veteran depth," don't cut any ties, keep the kids down, BAM! STANLEY CUP!

(Sammy won't be back. Bert might. Cleary, probably not, though I wouldn't rule him out. Of the three, I'd only be ok with Bert returning - and even him, I dunno.)

I think Bert's been good I wouldn't mind having him back for another year at a low cap hit.

#18 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

I seem to be the only one who thinks this but I think Bertuzzi has been really bad...

He makes bonehead passes and takes bad penalties, and of course hes terribly slow. Doesn't do anything on defence and when he does he tends to take that penalty. 

On a positive note hes basically all we have when it comes to a net front presence, and hes decent when playing with Z and D together as he seems to be more confident

Edited by WingsallTheway, 17 January 2014 - 12:55 AM.

Posted Image

Sig courtesy of TeeMan

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting forwards, then dangles 2 defenceman, and follows it up by doing "the datsyuk" on his victims, then calmly skates back to his bench ,and goes home to his girlfriend back in the motherland.

R.I.P Bob Probert
1965-2010

#19 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

Don't make that bet, Bert will be back.

no he won't
Clear the deck...all free agent forwards plus Quincey must go

#20 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:44 AM

I seem to be the only one who thinks this but I think Bertuzzi has been really bad...

He makes bonehead passes and takes bad penalties, and of course hes terribly slow. Doesn't do anything on defence and when he does he tends to take that penalty. 

On a positive note hes basically all we have when it comes to a net front presence, and hes decent when playing with Z and D together as he seems to be more confident

Tonight he made two nice set up passes. One in Sheahan's feet that probably should have been a goal