Photo
- - - - -

Steven Stamkos will not play for Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Steven Stamkos will not play for Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics.

How do you think will replace Stamkos?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Smite

Smite

Rookie

• Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

Too bad for this kid, he has worked hard to get back.

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=443088 

Edit: added poll for replacement

Edited by Smite, 05 February 2014 - 05:15 PM.

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#2 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

I feel for him.  He did his best.

St Louis, Giroux, or Neal??

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#3 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

Definitely a tough one for him. You could tell he was heartbroken when he was injured but he seemed much closer to actually making it back in time than I ever thought he would be. 

I was looking forward to seeing him in the Olympics but he shouldn't risk his health. Marty St Louis replacing him maybe?

#4 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,062 posts

Them's the breaks.

So...St. Louis gets the nod?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#5 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,800 posts

Too bad for us Canadians. Hopefully the replacement is Giroux/St. Louis

But in the Wings case, anything less then 3 points out of the next 2 games is unacceptable :hehe:

#NOMOREKINDL

#6 Smite

Smite

Rookie

• Pip
  • 160 posts

I would like to think St Louis for the same reason as Gus, He as lit it up since the the released rosters.

But if I were St Louis I don't know if I would want to go being turned away twice. 

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#7 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,062 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

I would like to think St Louis for the same reason as Gus, He as lit it up since the the released rosters.

And, come on, he's Martin St. Louis. Impossible to dislike, and this willl very likely be his last chance to play in the Olympics.

I doubt he'd be spiteful about it and turn down the spot.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#8 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

Stevie what the f*** are you doing ? First passing on MSL and now declining Stamkos after his amazing rehab? I don't get it.

Feeling so sorry for the poor kid he did everything in his powers, Stevie you are the GM of team Canada overrule them for crying out loud.

Edited by frankgrimes, 05 February 2014 - 05:17 PM.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#9 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

Stevie what the f*** are you doing ? First passing on MSL and now declining Stamkos after his amazing production ? I don't get it.

Feeling so sorry for the poor kid he did everything in his powers, Stevie you are the GM of team Canada overrule them for crying out loud.

It was the doctor's decision....not Steve's...

Did you read it??

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#10 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Stevie what the f*** are you doing ? First passing on MSL and now declining Stamkos after his amazing rehab? I don't get it.

Serenity now!

He's injured.

#11 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

It was the doctor's decision....not Steve's...

Did you read it??

Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, who is also Team Canada's executive director, says Stamkos "should not be participating in game action at any time in the near future."

TSN quoted Stevie so who didn't read it ? I really feel for Stamkos such an amazing player to watch, what a tough decision against him.

Pick MSL now

lidsretire2.jpg

#12 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, who is also Team Canada's executive director, says Stamkos "should not be participating in game action at any time in the near future."

TSN quoted Stevie so who didn't read it ? I really feel for Stamkos such an amazing player to watch, what a tough decision against him.

Pick MSL now

You can't be serious...That was an opinion after he found out the doctors ruling....It's as if you ignored the entire article but that one line...

"Doctors say he has not recovered enough from a broken right leg."

"The decision to keep Stamkos on the sidelines was made by Lightning doctor Ira Gutentag."

"Although the doctor was very pleased to this point with the healing process, he explained that the callus surrounding the fracture site is not 100 per cent consolidated, and Steven will not be cleared to play in a game until that happens," said Yzerman. "It was a pretty clear-cut decision, no grey areas at all."

Vince Lombardi

#13 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

You can't be serious...That was an opinion after he found out the doctors ruling....It's as if you ignored the entire article but that one line...

I've read the whole thing more than once to make sure I understand everything.

Anyway, why not take him as an extra the tournament is 2 or 3 weeks long maybe his bone is going to heal at an unforseen pace ? Don't get me wrong I understhand being cautious at all, but I just don't think its fair to Stamkos after everything he has done to make it. Wouldn#t you agree?

But if they name MSL I will be happy for him.

lidsretire2.jpg

#14 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

Anyway, why not take him as an extra the tournament is 2 or 3 weeks long maybe his bone is going to heal at an unforseen pace ? Don't get me wrong I understhand being cautious at all, but I just don't think its fair to Stamkos after everything he has done to make it. Wouldn#t you agree?

Trust me, I'm Canadian. I want him there. But if his bone isn't fully healed then there's no way he can go. Injuries aren't fair but that's life. Health trumps all.

Speaking of fairness though...I don't think it'd be fair to a player like St Louis to bring Stamkos as 13/14 knowing you might possibly never play him.

Vince Lombardi

#15 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

Good decision by Yzerman.  I hope that Datsyuk will do the same should the medical experts advise it.

#16 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

What particular part of that article would lead anyone to come to the conclusion that this was a decision made entirely by Steve Yzerman on his own?

#17 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

Paragraph #2: Tampa Bay Lightning doctors said they couldn't clear him to play after examining his most recent CT scan and will re-evaluate his condition again in two to three weeks.

If they won't even be evaluating him for 2-3 weeks, there's no way the doctors would clear him before the end of the tournament on February 23rd. I would love to see Stamkos playing on the Olympic stage but he can't jeopardize his entire career just because he wants to play now. Yzerman of all people knows what that would be like to have a leg injury hampering your skills don't you think? 

#18 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

So... dan cleary gets the nod? Make it happen babs

#19 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts