• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

The only thing Myers has proven is that he had a good agent who got him that huge deal before he could legally drink. $5.5 mil a year for another 5 years is a lot of risk to take on that he's all of a sudden going to get better in Detroit. No thank you.

If the Wings sign a d-man they only need a stop gap for a year or two. I'm not convinced they need that even, unless they don't believe Smith is going to improve going forward. Except for the left hand/right hand issue, an improved Smith would give them a pretty solid top 4, then Kindl or Lashoff can play with Marchenko or Ouellet on the 3rd pair.

People hate Franzen because he's "lazy." Stewart would get the same complaints.

Edited by DickieDunn

We're gonna have crazy space this summer. Plus, while I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate to say it, Datsyuk's gone soon.

The concern, moving forward, is going to be how well our kids do. At the very "worst," they're all big-time players by the time their respective second contract seasons come around and they need to Get Paid like Niskanen does now. But that'd be a pretty nice problem to have (hence "'worst'").

Personally, my concern re: the long-term commitment we'd be giving Niskanen is more about the resulting look of our blue line than the money itself. I've really beaten this horse to death and I'm sorry for it, but we'd be more or less bound to that top five. That's a big deal. Kronwall's not going anywhere. DeKeyser's not going anywhere. Ericsson's homegrown, a new father, loyal, our biggest body, currently our best shutdown guy by far - not going anywhere. Smith is probably the least safe and secure, but he'll have to really disappoint and/or a very good option will have to present itself for him to get moved. Or maybe he becomes an all-star and prices himself off the team.

But, at the end of the day, we do need to sign Niskanen. It needs to be done. I just hope the Pens get bounced ASAP. The deeper they go, the less inclined they'll be to let him go, methinks.

If he was so good it wouldn't matter when they'd get eliminated they'd wanna keep him ;)

I just want to point out that Ouellet isn't like most Dmen. Babs said it himself that Ouellet always makes the right play. He isn't going to have very many growing pains or rookie mistakes from everything we have seen so far. He is very poised out there and actually played physical against Boston too in front of the net and along the boards (actually afraid he would be penalized). Its not the end of the world to pair him with someone who isn't a vet dman. I don't think pairing him with Marchenko or Dekeyser would really make a difference.

The only thing Myers has proven is that he had a good agent who got him that huge deal before he could legally drink. $5.5 mil a year for another 5 years is a lot of risk to take on that he's all of a sudden going to get better in Detroit. No thank you.

If the Wings sign a d-man they only need a stop gap for a year or two. I'm not convinced they need that even, unless they don't believe Smith is going to improve going forward. Except for the left hand/right hand issue, an improved Smith would give them a pretty solid top 4, then Kindl or Lashoff can play with Marchenko or Ouellet on the 3rd pair.

Mattias backman has 4 pts in 4 ahl games ... Could be another stud dman we got waiting in the wings ... He also had the highest +/- in Sweden i believe

I definetly don't see smith being a redwing longterm , that being said hope he has a good enough season that warrants us getting something decent in a trade

Fed up of us always losing guys on waivers instead of getting a pick, any pick

People hate Franzen because he's lazy and immensely streaky and way past his prime and he's had several concussions and we're stuck with him until the end of time and he's a huge body but plays like he's 5'4 and we need him to be a leader more than ever but he was completely invisible in the playoffs and if he's not scoring he's really not adding much that someone else couldn't add and he says things like "We need more joy" and Hossa.

We need a big, evil, right-handed top-six winger, preferably one in his prime. If we're going to land one of those, it's going to be one with a big red "Buyer beware!" sticker on his forehead (otherwise, we're gonna have to sell the farm).

Also, I disagree that a top four of Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, Smith would be ok moving forward, if winning the Cup is the one and only goal. Even with Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, we only won one Cup, and that was a closer series than many seem to think it was, and we were ludicrously deep up front. I can see us going with Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, Smith, and then losing one or two of those for the entire postseason run (because that's how it goes for us) and then losing a series we probably should've won and then thinking, "Y'know what? We really should've added a top-four defenseman." And Z and D are that much closer to done, and blah.

I just want to point out that Ouellet isn't like most Dmen. Babs said it himself that Ouellet always makes the right play. He isn't going to have very many growing pains or rookie mistakes from everything we have seen so far. He is very poised out there and actually played physical against Boston too in front of the net and along the boards (actually afraid he would be penalized). Its not the end of the world to pair him with someone who isn't a vet dman. I don't think pairing him with Marchenko or Dekeyser would really make a difference.

Ya saw a tweet about ouellet being his regular reliable self tonight as always and I heard backman dove on empty net shot attempt to prevent a goal

I'm really optimistic about our future d

People hate Franzen because he's lazy and immensely streaky and way past his prime and he's had several concussions and we're stuck with him until the end of time and he's a huge body but plays like he's 5'4 and we need him to be a leader more than ever but he was completely invisible in the playoffs and if he's not scoring he's really not adding much that someone else couldn't add and he says things like "We need more joy" and Hossa.

I wish Holland kept his mouth shut about buying out Tootoo. We really should have waited to see what Mantha can do in camp and then if he can make the jump just buyout or trade Franzen. If we can replace his size with Mantha we are good going forward in the long term with a younger, cheaper, and harder working player.

Guest DeGraa55

I wish Holland kept his mouth shut about buying out Tootoo. We really should have waited to see what Mantha can do in camp and then if he can make the jump just buyout or trade Franzen. If we can replace his size with Mantha we are good going forward in the long term with a younger, cheaper, and harder working player.

The buyout time ends in July I believe. But I could be wrong.

The buyout time ends in July I believe. But I could be wrong.

Ah I forgot about that. Well at least it overlaps with Free agency. So if we can make a run at a moulson or vanek then holland should at least CONSIDER using the buyout on franzen for long term purposes and his gradual decline.

Guest DeGraa55

Ah I forgot about that. Well at least it overlaps with Free agency. So if we can make a run at a moulson or vanek then holland should at least CONSIDER using the buyout on franzen for long term purposes and his gradual decline.

I completely agree. You know I'm on the buyout Franzen side. It's just another way holland is going about something that's so simple in the wrong way.

Guest DeGraa55

Just looked it up:

The buyout period typically begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends and concludes on June 30. In 2013, it begins 48 hours after the Final ends and it concludes on July 4 at 5 p.m.

That's from capgeek. For last year obviously so I'd assume it's close to the same for this year.

Edited by DeGraa55

This is my hypothetical version of what I'd love to see:

2014 1st Round Pick

2015 3rd Round Pick

Thomas Tatar

Xavier Ouellet

Johan Franzen

Jakub Kindl

Joakim Andersson

for

Tyler Myers

Chris Stewart

2014 2nd Round Pick (I'd do the trade even if they aren't willing to give us this pick)

Thoughts? Too much to give? Not enough to receive? Horrible idea? Great idea that perfectly fills ours needs? ...... personally, I think it's the perfect two pieces that could be obtainable. The other perfect team to make a similar trade with if this wouldn't work is with Winnipeg... Bogosian and Kane. But I feel as if that would cost us more than the trade I proposed. Also, I apologize for making such a huge post!

TL;DR

Make a blockbuster with Buffalo that would give us Chris Stewart and Tyler Myers. Two young right-handed players whom are oozing with potential. In my opinion, it perfectly fills our two biggest needs.

Are you insane? Did you not see what happened when Jarnkrok was traded? Now you want to give up Tatar, Ouellet, a 1st, and Franzen(we are all frustrated with him, but come on)? If that happened LGW will be forced to shut down, and I like coming here.

P.S. Didn't mean to get on you, but come on calling that an over-payment is putting it mildly.

Edited by wings87

sign vanek, downie, callahan and tallinder.

vanek brings scoring. downie is a 30 pointer with tougness. callahan is a 50-60 pointer who also gives us physical play. tallinder is a good gritty veteran.

give legwand A REAL shoot.

callahan - datsuyk - vanek

zetterberg - legwand - nyqvist

jurco - sheahan - tatar

downie - helm - abby

kronwall - smith

niskanen - dekeyser

ericsson - tallinder

Edited by matemate

vanek brings scoring. downie is a 30 pointer with tougness. callahan is a 50-60 pointer who also gives us physical play. tallinder is a good gritty veteran.

jurco - sheahan - tatar

downie - helm - abby

kronwall - smith

niskanen - dekeyser

ericsson - tallinder

For those who want Franzen gone, Vanek is not the answer.

Guest DeGraa55

jurco - sheahan - tatar

downie - helm - abby

kronwall - smith

niskanen - dekeyser

ericsson - tallinder

I really like Callahan. But I don't the wings can sign all those players. I'm also a vanek fan but I'm sure he will get too much money so I'd prolly say no to him :(

jurco - sheahan - tatar

downie - helm - abby

kronwall - smith

niskanen - dekeyser

ericsson - tallinder

You're forgetting to include Weiss a guy that costs about 5 mil a year and has 4 years left on his contract. I really don't want Legwand back, if he was an actual asset he would have been playing top 6 minutes in the playoffs and not rotting on the wing on line 3.

For those who want Franzen gone, Vanek is not the answer.

He might not be the perfect answer, as he does tend to float, but the guy knows how to hit the back of the net. My biggest frustration with the Wings offensively is that they have no aim, which leads to unfinished scoring chances. I don't think I've even seen a team miss the net as much as the current team does.

On a side note I think Moulson would be the better choice.

I just realized we're not getting that awesome top-four defenseman. Certainly not Matt Niskanen.

Think about it.

Fischer has now gone on record saying we have, like, 107 NHL-level D prospects. That they're all amazing, and, seriously, he just can't begin to tell you how amazing they all are.

Holland has gone on record saying the usual stuff he says about everything.

Even if we move Kindl and Lashoff and let Quincey walk, that's still only two spots up for grabs. You don't think we're gonna use this year to get a sense of what we really have on the farm? You think we're gonna outbid 25 other teams for Niskanen's services and leave all of one spot open for the kids to fight over? Does that really sound like something that's gonna happen?

Not that I like what I'm saying. But I'm trying to be realistic.

This also applies to the big scoring winger thing. Who, besides maybe Dustin Penner (because he should come dirt cheap), do we actually have a realistic shot at? None of the better free agents, because we don't do bidding wars. A trade? Well, it'd have to be a big trade, otherwise we'd just go with what we have. But if it's a big trade, that means we're moving a young gun and a top prospect and a pick and probably more. Really? Ken Holland's going to do that?

If we can at least sign Benoit Pouliot, I'll be really happy. Such are my expectations.

I just realized we're not getting that awesome top-four defenseman. Certainly not Matt Niskanen.

Think about it.

Fischer has now gone on record saying we have, like, 107 NHL-level D prospects. That they're all amazing, and, seriously, he just can't begin to tell you how amazing they all are.

Holland has gone on record saying the usual stuff he says about everything.

Even if we move Kindl and Lashoff and let Quincey walk, that's still only two spots up for grabs. You don't think we're gonna use this year to get a sense of what we really have on the farm? You think we're gonna outbid 25 other teams for Niskanen's services and leave all of one spot open for the kids to fight over? Does that really sound like something that's gonna happen?

Not that I like what I'm saying. But I'm trying to be realistic.

This also applies to the big scoring winger thing. Who, besides maybe Dustin Penner (because he should come dirt cheap), do we actually have a realistic shot at? None of the better free agents, because we don't do bidding wars. A trade? Well, it'd have to be a big trade, otherwise we'd just go with what we have. But if it's a big trade, that means we're moving a young gun and a top prospect and a pick and probably more. Really? Ken Holland's going to do that?

If we can at least sign Benoit Pouliot, I'll be really happy. Such are my expectations.

If we swap Q and Lashoff with XO and Marchenko, we'll see a difference. Both are steady Dmen that make a good 1st pass. Q's 1st pass is usually to the other team, and Lashoff was exposed badly this season when he had to play more minutes. I still think that Ouellet is our best D prospect overall.

If we swap Q and Lashoff with XO and Marchenko, we'll see a difference. Both are steady Dmen that make a good 1st pass. Q's 1st pass is usually to the other team, and Lashoff was exposed badly this season when he had to play more minutes. I still think that Ouellet is our best D prospect overall.

I don't mean to diss what we've got on the farm. I just want that top-four guy, who we should've added the moment Lids said goodbye but has instead been put off because something something you can't replace Nick Lidstrom something something there's no hockey store something something a trade requires two teams something something we're not going to move top prospects something something Colaiacovo Quincey something something DeKeyser is lost forever with a broken finger something something Ericsson is lost forever with a broken finger something something...

Edited by Dabura

The back-end really needs to generate more offense. After Kronwall, there's just such a big drop off in point totals. While I'm all for the youth movement, I want to see DeKeyser paired with a right-handed veteran who can put up some points - or Derek Morris as a fallback option. I really think you'd see some higher point totals with something along the lines of Kronwall-Smith, DeKeyser-Niskanen/Boyle and Ericsson-Sproul/Marchenko.

I just think it's too much to throw two younger guys in at once. There needs to be some stability for Smith and DK for them to develop a little more, IMO.