• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Euro_Twins

flyers sign macdonald to 6 year $30 million extension

Rate this topic

Context is key here.

• Timonen's their Kronwall, and he's just about done.
  • Streit's 36 and nothing really special.
  • Coburn, Grossman, Gustafsson, Hal Gill. In a word, woof.
  • When was the last time you heard about a Flyers prospect? Can you name a Flyers prospect, just off the top of your head? If so, is he a defenseman? If so, is he any good? If so, which do you feel is the more likely outcome: that he a) is developed with care and patience and becomes a solid top-four defenseman for the Flyers, or b) gets traded for Douglas Murray?
  • This summer's crop of UFA defensemen is terribad, and I doubt many top-end defensemen will be moved.

So I'd say they actually did pretty well.

Side note: wonder if they'd be interested in any of Kindl, Lashoff, Almqvist. Lashoff is big and mean and simple, and they like big and mean and simple. Almqvist could be the second coming of Timonen. Kindl could be a low-risk high-reward add.

We're annoyed because it is guys like Paul Holmgren who have created this "reality". Throwing money at guys who don't deserve it. I don't care who you play for, a d-man worth $5M per doesn't finish -22 and 28 points. Every defenseman should be judge on a Nick Lidstrom scale. How much did the best d-man of the generation make in his last year? $6M?
If you negotiate like that no player will re-sign. Every forward would be compared to Gretzky...

The market for defenders this year is at an all-time bad, Amac would have been on of the best available defenseman, his agent he and Holmer knew it. The Flyers prospect pool ie one of the worst in the league so they need to overpay for talent and this is far from a crazy contract. The cap keeps rising Timonen will be off the books.

Look I'm not trying to say this contract is great but it is indeed market value for a guy like Amac. Is Phaneuf worth 7 million per ? No he would have gotten that come July 1 it's as simple as that. I'm always trying to look at things from a player point of view they have a once in a lifetime chance to go to UFA if you want them to give that up, the GM better pays well a hockey career isn't that long and they need to cash in.

Edited by frankgrimes

If you negotiate like that no player will re-sign. Every forward would be compared to Gretzky...

The market for defenders this year is at an all-time bad, Amac would have been on of the best available defenseman, his agent he and Holmer knew it. The Flyers prospect pool ie one of the worst in the league so they need to overpay for talent and this is far from a crazy contract. The cap keeps rising Timonen will be off the books.

Look I'm not trying to say this contract is great but it is indeed market value for a guy like Amac. Is Phaneuf worth 7 million per ? No he would have gotten that come July 1 it's as simple as that. I'm always trying to look at things from a player point of view they have a once in a lifetime chance to go to UFA if you want them to give that up, the GM better pays well a hockey career isn't that long and they need to cash in.

It doesn't matter which way you slice it. This is a bad contract, and like usual they'll regret it

LOL

Timonen, Kimmo » $6,000,000

Streit, Mark » 5,250,000 $5,250,000 $5,250,000 $5,250,000

Pronger, Chris » 35+ LTIR $4,941,429 $4,941,429 $4,941,429 $4,941,429

Coburn, Braydon » $4,500,000 $4,500,000 $4,500,000

Schenn, Luke » $3,600,000 $3,600,000 $3,600,000

Grossmann, N. » $3,500,000 $3,500,000 $3,500,000

Gustafsson, Erik » $1,000,000

Gill, Hal » $700,000

MacDonald, Andrew » $550,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000

»