• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kickazz

Who is the better player Zetterberg or Toews. Prime vs. Present

Rate this topic

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's been a lot of discussion of this on two different threads and it always seems to pop up here and there so I thought I'd create it's own and put this argument to rest via poll and discussion.

Who do you think is better in their respective prime Toews or Zetterberg?

Who do you think is better currently?

Try to eliminate the bias that you probably hate the Blackhawks and love the Red Wings. And pretend like Z and Toews were on different teams. Neither on the Red Wings nor Blackhawks. (Help remove bias)

Edited by kickazz

Toes is no doubt the better player now. Both of them at their best are pretty well equal. Both amazing players capable of carrying their team on their back. I give Toews the prime vote simply because he will likely be at that level longer than Hank. Depending on what time of day you ask me, my choice for best in their prime would change. They are both just that good.

If both were in their prime, and I were a gm who had to choose any current player to build a team around, Toews and Hank would be the top 2 options.

Having said that, I would choose prime Dats and Hank as a pair over Toews and Kane any day. Eurotwins for life, yo.

Edited by marcaractac

Obviously Towes now, but during their prime I say Zetterberg.

I believe Toews may be the most overrated player in the league. He is definitely a great player, but he has been surrounded by great players and great coaching and has put in a better situation then anyone else in the NHL not named Kane. It will be very interesting to see what he can do now that he and Kane are taking up so much of Chicago's cap.

I'm a bit mixed on my feeling as of now...

In a 7 game playoff series, today, if Hank is healthy I take him. Putting aside the arguments of each ones playoff production the last few years, or career ppg, the series two years back is a pretty good indicator of what you'd get.

And Toews was throwing a temper tantrum like he was Sidney Crosby. Didn't he take like three consecutive penalties because of the way z was on him?

A healthy Zetterberg in the playoffs is a beast, but theres still no way of knowing how his back will hold up, or whether he can stay upright throughout a full season without draining himself, so you gotta pick Toews.

Prime vs prime shouldn't even be a question as of right now though.

Z in his prime was on a completely different level than Toews is, on top of being equal to or better in the d zone, his offense was also elite.

The only way this becomes a discussion is if Toews maintains his defensive play, scores enough points in the coming years to equal that of a $10,500,000 player, which I don't see happening.

Add to that, that he would also have to start spending a lot more time on the penalty kill like z did in his prime.

I could see Toews MAYBE scoring at a better rate than last season, as scoring was down league wide, but not enough to make him comparable to how dominant z was offensively.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Zetterberg / Zetterberg.

Pretty obvious he's the better player right now based on stats and previous match ups, and obviously the better player in his prime. Unless Z dramatically drops off the face of the earth he will have a better season then Toews.

Edited by darkmanx

What about head to head matchup? One vs the other? Who would you put money on?

Imagine its game 7 of cup finals and both are going up against the other.

Zetterberg kinda answered that question a couple years ago when he shut him down and frustrated him for 7 straight games in the playoffs Edited by wingsfan4795

I'm interested to know why people think Toews in his prime is better than Z in his prime.

Also why he's better than Z currently.

I'm all ears honestly.

To your first question, because that is the narrative being told by the media in 2015.

To you second, because the last version of Zetterberg we saw appeared to be a a shell of what he used to be, while Toews helped lead Chicago to the Stanley Cup. If Zetterberg can get back to what he was, this is a debate. If what we saw from Zetterberg post Benn cheap shot is a true refection of what he is going to be moving forward, its not a debate.

I'm hoping Zetterberg uses the summer to rest and heal, and that he comes back healthier then ever. Do I think we are going to see the Zetterberg of 2008? Unfortunately no. If I had to guess, I would say we will likely see something in between the Z of 2008 and the Z of 2015 (second half).

I didn't vote because the second question should have an equal option. Toews is the better player now, but in Z's prime they were very similar.

How were they similar in prime when their offensive numbers were miles apart. Toews has yet to get a second season with 70+ points. Getting 70+ points in a season for Z is considered normal.

Edited by kickazz

I dont even want to post this but seems obvious to me its Toews and Toews. Not saying Hank is not great but he never had the skill Toews has. Leadership and heart are probably edge to Hank since I feel he did more with less (talent and teammates) That being said I guess its not that obvious for in prime I would vote for Equal if I could. p.s. I can't wait for the blackhawks to fall off the face of the earth again.

Edited by Krayzie_Bone

I dont even want to post this but seems obvious to me its Toews and Toews. Not saying Hank is not great but he never had the skill Toews has. Leadership and heart are probably equal. p.s. I can't wait for the blackhawks to fall off the face of the earth again.

What do you mean he never had the skill toews had?

Z in his prime was putting up around 90 points, Toews has never even had one season as a ppg player, and probably never will.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

I dont even want to post this but seems obvious to me its Toews and Toews. Not saying Hank is not great but he never had the skill Toews has. Leadership and heart are probably edge to Hank since I feel he did more with less (talent and teammates) That being said I guess its not that obvious for in prime I would vote for Equal if I could. p.s. I can't wait for the blackhawks to fall off the face of the earth again.

You can't just say "Hank never had the skill Toews has" without giving some good details to this.

Here I'll say it.

Zetterberg (in prime) was better than Toews (in prime) in all aspects of hockey except faceoffs and shootouts. Everything else. Z was better. If someone can prove otherwise I'm all ears....

This is the point of this thread. Lot of people want to say Toews was better. Or Z was better. But not much is said when asked about HOW Toews is better.

"Well TSN said it so it must be true"

Edited by kickazz