• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Looking ahead at expansion draft

Rate this topic

If I know I'll lose helm for sure, absolutely I'd try to trade him and actually get something. But I could see wings management wanting to keep him and doing what they can to work out something with vegas so that they do not take him.. again assuming that there isn't another trade made for a defenseman or something that makes helm protectable. 

30 minutes ago, BinMucker94 said:

I'd do that. I like Helm and what he brings to the table for a bottom 6 forward but he is a band-aid. Always seems to be in and out of the line up with some sort of injury

it's an interesting move either way. Trading Helm and Vanek for some picks and possibly shedding Ericsson would be popular around here.

4 minutes ago, amato said:

If I know I'll lose helm for sure, absolutely I'd try to trade him and actually get something. But I could see wings management wanting to keep him and doing what they can to work out something with vegas so that they do not take him.. again assuming that there isn't another trade made for a defenseman or something that makes helm protectable. 

Seems like hockey journalists in general believe there will be a lot of back rooming dealing among Vegas and the GMs. If I'm Ken I'd work out some sort of deal with them where they agree to take Ericsson or Howard. Both are good players, its just the hit and term Vegas may be opposed to. I'm sure that can be worked out in a shady way.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

29 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

it's an interesting move either way. Trading Helm and Vanek for some picks and possibly shedding Ericsson would be popular around here.

Seems like hockey journalists in general believe there will be a lot of back rooming dealing among Vegas and the GMs. If I'm Ken I'd work out some sort of deal with them where they agree to take Ericsson or Howard. Both are good players, its just the hit and term Vegas may be opposed to. I'm sure that can be worked out in a shady way.

And really, the hit and term may not be a big deal to them and they could even need it depending on who they get from around the league.. I'm sure there will be better high cap hit options but those better options may have better prospects/younger players exposed on their teams than the wings will. A lot will depend on what other teams do.. vegas is going to be reallll busy trying to figure everything out, that's for sure. I wish I had that job.. seem fun :P 

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for all the potential movement around the league. The expansion draft should make the off season very eventful. 

14 minutes ago, amato said:

And really, the hit and term may not be a big deal to them and they could even need it depending on who they get from around the league.. I'm sure there will be better high cap hit options but those better options may have better prospects/younger players exposed on their teams than the wings will. A lot will depend on what other teams do.. vegas is going to be reallll busy trying to figure everything out, that's for sure. I wish I had that job.. seem fun :P 

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for all the potential movement around the league. The expansion draft should make the off season very eventful. 

Oh it's gonna be great

7 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

ReI'm more worried about losing a young guy like coreau , the more Blashill plays him the more i believe we risk losing him (think Vegas will select a lot more younger players with upside than people might think)

also worried   about  bertuzzi, anyone know if he's eligible to be claimed?

Yes he is exempt, here is our list of exempt players according to capfriendly.com

EXEMPT AGE POS CAP HIT EXPIRY
INJ Franzen, Johan 37 RW $3,954,545 UFA (2020)
INJ Vitale, Joe 31 C $1,116,667 UFA (2017)
Larkin, Dylan 20 C $925,000 RFA (2018)
Svechnikov, Evgeny 20 LW $894,167 RFA (2019)
Sadowy, Dylan 20 LW $880,833 RFA (2019)
Smith, Givani 18 LW $725,833 RFA (2019)
Turgeon, Dominic 20 C $686,667 RFA (2019)
Holmström, Axel 20 C $686,667 RFA (2019)
Bertuzzi, Tyler 21 LW $661,667 RFA (2018)
Nastasiuk, Zach 21 RW $647,500 RFA (2018)
Lorito, Matt 26 LW $637,500 UFA (2018)
Renouf, Daniel 22 D $767,500 RFA (2018)
Hronek, Filip 19 D $725,833 RFA (2019)
Saarijärvi, Vili 19 D $686,667 RFA (2019)
Russo, Robbie 23 D $680,000 RFA (2017)
Hicketts, Joe 20 D $635,000 RFA (2019)
Paterson, Jake 22 G $628,333 RFA (2017)

Edited by kliq

6 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

ReI'm more worried about losing a young guy like coreau , the more Blashill plays him the more i believe we risk losing him (think Vegas will select a lot more younger players with upside than people might think)

also worried   about  bertuzzi, anyone know if he's eligible to be claimed?

id protect 

mrazek 

dekeyser-ouellett-sproul

mantha-athanasiou-Nielsen-nyquist-tatar-abdelkader-bertuzzi

assuming bertuzzi can be claimed and Tatar and nyquist aren't dealt (otherwise protect zetterberg,although I do think he will be protected)

green has one year left so we shouldn't waste a spot on him,kronwall is injury prone and has term 

helm is also injury prone so leave him exposed 

Coreau is in absolute zero danger of being selected.

2 hours ago, amato said:

@kliq did you mistype something? You answered yes to nyq asking if Bert is eligible to be claimed and then showed a list of automatically exempt players that includes Bert..? 

Shoot sorry, I thought his question was "Is Bertuzzi Exempt?" So I answered "Yes He Is".

I'll edit.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Coreau is in absolute zero danger of being selected.

Vegas are selecting 3 goalies , for sure they'll select someone 25 and under with upside , the more I think about it I think the chances are good they'll select howard since fleury will probably get dealt and they'll need someone capable of playing 50-65 games 

they also have a bottom cap to hit and regardless of what bettmans saying Vegas will end up with a lot of scraps 

3 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Vegas are selecting 3 goalies , for sure they'll select someone 25 and under with upside , the more I think about it I think the chances are good they'll select howard since fleury will probably get dealt and they'll need someone capable of playing 50-65 games 

they also have a bottom cap to hit and regardless of what bettmans saying Vegas will end up with a lot of scraps 

Look around the league. There's going to be a lot better 25 and under goalies available than an undrafted 25 year old guy with below average numbers who projects to be at best a backup. 

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Look around the league. There's going to be a lot better 25 and under goalies available than an undrafted 25 year old guy with below average numbers who projects to be at best a backup. 

Such as ??? Coreau is cheap and has upside ... I'm sure Vegas will look at cheap options out there with upside potential 

who's 25 and under with good potential with size and a cheap contract , and undrafted means nothing these days

11 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Such as ??? Coreau is cheap and has upside ... I'm sure Vegas will look at cheap options out there with upside potential 

who's 25 and under with good potential with size and a cheap contract , and undrafted means nothing these days

Malcolm Subban, Linus Ullmark, Calvin Pickard, Joonas Korpisalo, Anton Forsberg, Laurent Brossoit, Marek Mazanec, Scott Wedgewood, Magnus Hellberg, Anthony Stolarz, Matt Murray (If Fleury not dealt), Andrei Vasilevskiy (If Bishop not dealt), Antoine Bibeau, Garret Sparks, and Philip Grubauer.

All those guys are just as cheap, younger, and have far more upside. I'll repeat, Coreau is in absolutely ZERO danger of being selected. 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

I don't know a lot about some of those but the ones I do know a little about/looking at stats....

First off, Pickard, Murray, and Vasilevskiy will all be protected no matter what. 

Linus Ullmark is exempt from the expansion draft.

Malcom Subban has been terrible at the NHL level (albeit in very limited starts) and not quite as good as Coreau in the AHL.

Anthony Stolarz or Philip Grubauer do look like they'd be a good picks for vegas though in terms of a younger depth goalie.

But many of those goalies have done as good or worse than Coreau even at the AHL level.

I'm not saying Coreau needs to be protected or even that I think they'd pick him but I think there's more than ZERO chance he gets picked if exposed.. obviously depending on who else is exposed by the wings. 

10 minutes ago, amato said:

I don't know a lot about some of those but the ones I do know a little about/looking at stats....

First off, Pickard, Murray, and Vasilevskiy will all be protected no matter what. 

Linus Ullmark is exempt from the expansion draft.

Malcom Subban has been terrible at the NHL level (albeit in very limited starts) and not quite as good as Coreau in the AHL.

Anthony Stolarz or Philip Grubauer do look like they'd be a good picks for vegas though in terms of a younger depth goalie.

But many of those goalies have done as good or worse than Coreau even at the AHL level.

I'm not saying Coreau needs to be protected or even that I think they'd pick him but I think there's more than ZERO chance he gets picked if exposed.. obviously depending on who else is exposed by the wings. 

Pickard, Vasilevskiy, and Murray will only be protected if Varlamov, Bishop, or Fleury are exposed or traded. Varlamov could be exposed, but Bishop and Fleury never will. And if theyre traded it will force the receiving teams to expose other goalies.

Vegas will draft 2 good goalies and someone young for their AHL team. They don't need a 25 year old career backup.

Which of those goalies has done worse? I listed guys I would take over Coreau if I was Vegas. There are plenty others out there that are about the same as Coreau, so I didn't bother to list them.

I really don't believe Coreau is in any danger. They need a young goalie to develop, and most of those guys are young and quite valuable prospects.

20 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Pickard, Vasilevskiy, and Murray will only be protected if Varlamov, Bishop, or Fleury are exposed or traded. Varlamov could be exposed, but Bishop and Fleury never will. And if theyre traded it will force the receiving teams to expose other goalies.

Vegas will draft 2 good goalies and someone young for their AHL team. They don't need a 25 year old career backup.

Which of those goalies has done worse? I listed guys I would take over Coreau if I was Vegas. There are plenty others out there that are about the same as Coreau, so I didn't bother to list them.

I really don't believe Coreau is in any danger. They need a young goalie to develop, and most of those guys are young and quite valuable prospects.

There is no world where Pickard, Murray, or Vasilevskiy are exposed. Otherwise that'd be a no brainer for Vegas.

I'm not saying that Coreau blows any of those other prospects out of the water and no doubt they're all young valuable prospects.. but looking at stats alone, his save percentages and GAAs have been better than some of the ones you listed.

And while I don't think he's in much danger of being selected, I think Coreau deserves some credit to at least be in the conversation for the potential Vegas pick from the wings; especially looking at his NHL starts while considering the defense (or lack there of) playing in front of him. A lot of this obviously depends on who else is exposed on these teams too. 

4 minutes ago, amato said:

There is no world where Pickard, Murray, or Vasilevskiy are exposed. Otherwise that'd be a no brainer for Vegas.

I'm not saying that Coreau blows any of those other prospects out of the water and no doubt they're all young valuable prospects.. but looking at stats alone, his save percentages and GAAs have been better than some of the ones you listed.

And while I don't think he's in much danger of being selected, I think Coreau deserves some credit to at least be in the conversation for the potential Vegas pick from the wings; especially looking at his NHL starts while considering the defense (or lack there of) playing in front of him. A lot of this obviously depends on who else is exposed on these teams too. 

As of right now those guys have to be exposed or their starters will be. Of course that can change.

Coreau is older and absolutely should have good numbers at this point. Most of those goalies I listed are younger, highly scouted goalies, with a lot of league interest and a ton more room to grow. This is going to be a guy they stick in the AHL, not the NHL, for the next few years. They're going to look for someone who can potentially be a star one day, not Coreau.

Absolutely no way Coreau is selected over Subban, Stolarz, Grubauer, Korpisalo, Mazanec, Wedgewood, Sparks, or Bibeau. 

Also if we expos some of Vanek, Helm, Abdelkader, Sheahan, Kronwall, Smith, Marchenko, Ericsson, Jurco, Howard, and/or Coreau theyre going to take Coreau?? They only get one choice off of us. It's not going to be our very average backup goalie.

48 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

As of right now those guys have to be exposed or their starters will be. Of course that can change.

Coreau is older and absolutely should have good numbers at this point. Most of those goalies I listed are younger, highly scouted goalies, with a lot of league interest and a ton more room to grow. This is going to be a guy they stick in the AHL, not the NHL, for the next few years. They're going to look for someone who can potentially be a star one day, not Coreau.

Absolutely no way Coreau is selected over Subban, Stolarz, Grubauer, Korpisalo, Mazanec, Wedgewood, Sparks, or Bibeau. 

Also if we expos some of Vanek, Helm, Abdelkader, Sheahan, Kronwall, Smith, Marchenko, Ericsson, Jurco, Howard, and/or Coreau theyre going to take Coreau?? They only get one choice off of us. It's not going to be our very average backup goalie.

Right, I'm saying I think Varlamov, Fleury, and Bishop would get exposed before their younger, just as capable, counterparts. 

Coreau is only 25, he's not old and likely hasn't hit his prime yet but goalies are hard to project... 

Again, I'm not saying that Vegas is going to pick Coreau or that it's likely in the least bit.. just that he deserves a little more credit than you're giving him. And yeah, it depends on who we expose, but it also depends on who the other teams expose.... it's a little more complex than just "who's the better goalie prospect?" 

22 minutes ago, amato said:

Right, I'm saying I think Varlamov, Fleury, and Bishop would get exposed before their younger, just as capable, counterparts. 

Coreau is only 25, he's not old and likely hasn't hit his prime yet but goalies are hard to project... 

Again, I'm not saying that Vegas is going to pick Coreau or that it's likely in the least bit.. just that he deserves a little more credit than you're giving him. And yeah, it depends on who we expose, but it also depends on who the other teams expose.... it's a little more complex than just "who's the better goalie prospect?" 

I'm not saying the kid doesn't deserve credit for what he's done, there's just too many far more attractive goalies out there for him to be on Vegas's radar. I'm hoping Coreau will be our big bodied back up behind Mrazek or Jimmy for the forseeable future. 

43 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm not saying the kid doesn't deserve credit for what he's done, there's just too many far more attractive goalies out there for him to be on Vegas's radar. I'm hoping Coreau will be our big bodied back up behind Mrazek or Jimmy for the forseeable future. 

Ok I gotcha. And the bolded part I can definitely agree with. 

22 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Malcolm Subban, Linus Ullmark, Calvin Pickard, Joonas Korpisalo, Anton Forsberg, Laurent Brossoit, Marek Mazanec, Scott Wedgewood, Magnus Hellberg, Anthony Stolarz, Matt Murray (If Fleury not dealt), Andrei Vasilevskiy (If Bishop not dealt), Antoine Bibeau, Garret Sparks, and Philip Grubauer.

All those guys are just as cheap, younger, and have far more upside. I'll repeat, Coreau is in absolutely ZERO danger of being selected. 

murray and vasilevsky have a 0% chance of being exposed.... 0

pickard is 50/50 hes younger and varlamov has been horrendous+ varlamov is a ufa in 2 yrs, so why risk losing the younger goalie ,no way mazanec,broissoit,and ullmark and others in there are ahead of coreau and gets picked .... subban has been brutal 

you seem to forget vegas is picking 3 goalies and can pick 2 of those goalies and a veteran guy , what makes coreau any worse than those mentioned above?? hes had 920+ save percentage every season in the ahl and the coach is exposing further more by relying on him now

you watch , mrazek will get the blame for yesterdays loss even though jonathan shouldnt be in the nhl anymore was on the ice for 3 goals and just a disaster as usual 

nhl teams are looking for goalies with size now , thats the new thing and coreau is 6'6 with good upside 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture
Adding stuff