• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chaps80

Detroit's first rounder.

Rate this topic

21 minutes ago, amato said:

Seeing some mock drafts with Cale Makar going to the wings at 7 or somewhere around 7 so i looked into him a bit more. Wouldn't be upset with drafting him. He's trending in the right direction, and quickly. Also had a very good showing at the world junior A challenge. 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=199655

https://www.nhl.com/news/cale-makar-nhl-draft-profile/c-287984570

looks like he's committed to UMASS at least for a year. I've heard his name kicked around here and there, but haven't followed to closely.

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

looks like he's committed to UMASS at least for a year. I've heard his name kicked around here and there, but haven't followed to closely.

Yeah he'd probably go there for a year. Obviously it would depend on who else is available but his world junior numbers caught my attention most.. 4g/8pts in 4 games sounds good for anyone, let alone a defenseman. 

7 minutes ago, robb himself said:

I am not sure what my post count has to do with anything.

I don't have time to spend sitting on a hockey forum all day. (things like responsibility get in the way).

But I am curious as to how you would describe the post I originally quoted you on.

All it reminds me of is a 4 year old having a tantrum.

Maybe its me?  Am I the only one that is sickened by these posts?

No response needed.  You described it well!  I am your typical diehard Wings/Hockey fan and when you have your heart set on an outcome and then something comes in from left field that you don't like, you tend to fly off the handle a bit!

I'll be mad if we drafted Norm, but it's not like I have any control over it! All I can do is express my dissatisfaction!

I do have plenty of responsibility, but other than this forum, all I do is pay bills on my computer.  So that is why I have been here so long and post so much. I mostly post here while I am away at work. I commute to Detroit every week to work and am away from my family. So when I have down time or nothing going on, I come here.

Don't be sickened, I tend to retract pretty quickly. I still wouldn't like the pick, but it wouldn't go down as I described it...it rarely does. Cheers mate! Enjoy your day!

4 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

No response needed.  You described it well!  I am your typical diehard Wings/Hockey fan and when you have your heart set on an outcome and then something comes in from left field that you don't like, you tend to fly off the handle a bit!

I'll be mad if we drafted Norm, but it's not like I have any control over it! All I can do is express my dissatisfaction!

I do have plenty of responsibility, but other than this forum, all I do is pay bills on my computer.  So that is why I have been here so long and post so much. I mostly post here while I am away at work. I commute to Detroit every week to work and am away from my family. So when I have down time or nothing going on, I come here.

Don't be sickened, I tend to retract pretty quickly. I still wouldn't like the pick, but it wouldn't go down as I described it...it rarely does. Cheers mate! Enjoy your day!

Fair enough.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, amato said:

Yeah he'd probably go there for a year. Obviously it would depend on who else is available but his world junior numbers caught my attention most.. 4g/8pts in 4 games sounds good for anyone, let alone a defenseman. 

I like his numbers the last two season at Brooks as well. It's just so hard to gauge these kids. Do you pass on someone like Foote, that has received a lot more talk around the experts, or do you go with a dark(er) horse? I guess that would be my issue with Norm Pettersson, not that he is not ranked pretty high, but its also not like he has received as much fanfare and hype as the other 5-7 guys that are on most people's radar.

11 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I like his numbers the last two season at Brooks as well. It's just so hard to gauge these kids. Do you pass on someone like Foote, that has received a lot more talk around the experts, or do you go with a dark(er) horse? I guess that would be my issue with Norm Pettersson, not that he is not ranked pretty high, but its also not like he has received as much fanfare and hype as the other 5-7 guys that are on most people's radar.

Makar is ranked ahead of Foote pretty much everywhere. If he hasn't had as much media attention, it's only because his dad isn't Adam Foote. More likely is that you just haven't seen 99.99% of the information that's out there.

29 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I think it's because Pettersson is pegged as more of a two way guy and a lot of people want more offensive guys at the top of the draft, rightfully so. 

And I agree with Buppy that foote is getting more attention than other defensemen in first round draft talk because of his dad. Not that Callan isn't a good player in his own right. 

While I admit, I don't see it all, but it's not like I only read one source. I didn't say I never heard of him, just saying he hasn't seemed to have gotten as much fanfare. You're probably right about the connection with his father. But no, I don't miss that much info.

while I agree we don't see anywhere near as much information as pro scouts do, it's not like you can't get a good gauge on someone from what's available. But no, I don't just read one source. I look around for as much as I can. Do I research every player? No. I research mostly the ones I'm interested in.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

while I agree we don't see anywhere near as much information as pro scouts do, it's not like you can't get a good gauge on someone from what's available. But no, I don't just read one source. I look around for as much as I can. Do I research every player? No. I research mostly the ones I'm interested in.

That's exactly my point.

Now you just need to realize that your lack of interest (and resulting lack of knowledge) does not equate to a prospect's lack of potential.

16 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Anything less than Nolan Patrick is a failure this draft.  End of story.  Rebuilds aren't about projects, gambles, and seasonings.  Rebuilds are about impact players.  If we draft a player that is X years away from NHL ready, then that X is equal to the rebuild delay.  Look at Edmonton, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Florida, and Colorado.  These teams have done/are doing it right.  Tank and game the system a few years in a row to get the 1st and 31st pick.  After 3 years, you have 1/3rd of your roster replenished with top of the line talent.  If the Wings don't luck out and win the lottery with their 5% chance, they should move their pick and a player to get Nolan.  He's a sure fire 1st game NHL player, and probably the only one in this draft.

This is terrible. There are no generational talents (as we know of right now) in this year's draft, and that includes Patrick. I'd even go so far as to say that Patrick probably won't end up being the best player in this draft. It could be Hischier, it could be Vilardi, or it could be some 2nd rounder that many haven't even heard of. In fact, I'd say there are several teams that wouldn't even take Patrick if they were to win the 1st overall lottery pick.

Pretty much every single year, outside of the generational Ovechkin, Crosby, McDavid, Matthews drafts there are players picked 2 or later that would go number 1 in a re-draft, or at least an argument could be made for other players.

2010, I'd take Seguin (2) over Hall, and I'd even consider Tarasenko (16) or Kuznetsov (26).

2011, I'd take Scheifele (7) and Hamilton (9) over Nugent-Hopkins, and I'd also consider Landeskog (2) or Kucherov (58!).

2012, I'd take any of Galchenyuk (3), Reilly (5), Lindholm (6), Trouba (9), Forsberg (11) over Yakupov, and that's just to name a few.

2013, MacKinnon was a good pick, but an argument could be made for either Barkov (2), Jones (4) or Monahan (6).

That's just looking at a few recent drafts. Point is, there's no guarantee with any of these players, and that includes Nolan Patrick. I'd be the first one aboard the hype train if we won the lottery and drafted Patrick, but to say anything less is a failure is laughable. This may be a "weak draft", but there are still a ton of promising young kids available for the picking.

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

This is terrible. ...

What's worse is that he apparently thinks the 31st pick (I guess by virtue of being the 1st pick in the 2nd round [though it would be 32nd now with Vegas]) will also give you a top of the line talent. It's only the guys from 2-30 that suck. :)

13 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

This is terrible. There are no generational talents (as we know of right now) in this year's draft, and that includes Patrick. I'd even go so far as to say that Patrick probably won't end up being the best player in this draft. It could be Hischier, it could be Vilardi, or it could be some 2nd rounder that many haven't even heard of. In fact, I'd say there are several teams that wouldn't even take Patrick if they were to win the 1st overall lottery pick.

Pretty much every single year, outside of the generational Ovechkin, Crosby, McDavid, Matthews drafts there are players picked 2 or later that would go number 1 in a re-draft, or at least an argument could be made for other players.

2010, I'd take Seguin (2) over Hall, and I'd even consider Tarasenko (16) or Kuznetsov (26).

2011, I'd take Scheifele (7) and Hamilton (9) over Nugent-Hopkins, and I'd also consider Landeskog (2) or Kucherov (58!).

2012, I'd take any of Galchenyuk (3), Reilly (5), Lindholm (6), Trouba (9), Forsberg (11) over Yakupov, and that's just to name a few.

2013, MacKinnon was a good pick, but an argument could be made for either Barkov (2), Jones (4) or Monahan (6).

That's just looking at a few recent drafts. Point is, there's no guarantee with any of these players, and that includes Nolan Patrick. I'd be the first one aboard the hype train if we won the lottery and drafted Patrick, but to say anything less is a failure is laughable. This may be a "weak draft", but there are still a ton of promising young kids available for the picking.

Yup being the presses #1 means diddly

2010, I'd have taken 1. Seguin  2. Tarasenko 3. Hall
2011, I'd have taken 1. Landeskog 2. Kucherov 3. Hamilton 4. RNH
2012, I'd have taken just about anyone over Yakupov
2013, I'd have taken Barkov over MacKinnon