Who would you Rather Have?

Rate this topic

Who would you rather have?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would you Rather Have?

• Filip Hronek AND Dennis Cholowski
    • Jakob Chychrun

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

So I guess, I'm not sure what they could have done to better prepare for Lidstrom's retirement, other than trade up in the top 10-15, but even that would have been a bit of a crap shoot. So I guess more than anything, they were unlucky taking defensemen for quite a few years. Hopefully that is about to change with the high volume of defensemen taken in the past few years.

Ya, the way I look at it Holland had 3 plans.

1) Sign Suter, he came close, but obviously this didnt workout. 

2) Draft a ton of kids, hope one breaks out. Again obviously this didnt workout, I remember back then they had high high hopes for Smith.

3) Elevate Kronwall. This is what he did.

Tough spot to be in when a franchise D retires, really can't replace that.

4 hours ago, kliq said:

Hindsight

I had wanted us to trade for him at the time. Babcock had wanted us to trade for him at the time:

“They just hit a home run,” Babcock said of the Sharks. “That’s a gold medal pick. I’m pissed off.”

I agree that losing a franchise defenseman to retirement can put a GM in a tough spot. I disagree that you "really can't replace that."

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I had wanted us to trade for him at the time. Babcock had wanted us to trade for him at the time:

“They just hit a home run,” Babcock said of the Sharks. “That’s a gold medal pick. I’m pissed off.”

I agree that losing a franchise defenseman to retirement can put a GM in a tough spot. I disagree that you "really can't replace that."

I disagree because you can't replace the 1a or 1b best D-man of all time with even Brett Burns. Burns is awesome, but he's still no Lidstrom.

With that being said, I realize that you are not saying he is Lidstrom, but that is the context I am using when I said "really can't replace that."

Plus, nobody knew back then that Burns would become a Norris caliber D-man at 30, hence my comment of "hindsight". 

22 hours ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

well Lidstrom but i guess you meant him Chris

What happens when Gustav Lindstrom makes the team? Do we call him Goose too? The slightly less perfect human? The slightly less perfect Goose? I find myself struggling with these questions on a daily basis. It consumes me.  

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What happens when Gustav Lindstrom makes the team? Do we call him Goose too? The slightly less perfect human? The slightly less perfect Goose? I find myself struggling with these questions on a daily basis. It consumes me.  

This is easy...."The perfect Goose".

On 8/7/2017 at 5:58 PM, kliq said:

I disagree because you can't replace the 1a or 1b best D-man of all time with even Brett Burns. Burns is awesome, but he's still no Lidstrom.

With that being said, I realize that you are not saying he is Lidstrom, but that is the context I am using when I said "really can't replace that."

Ah, gotcha. :thumbup:

On 8/7/2017 at 5:58 PM, kliq said:

Plus, nobody knew back then that Burns would become a Norris caliber D-man at 30, hence my comment of "hindsight". 

I hear ya. I don't blame you for calling bull**** on me, as I didn't explain up front that I was on the Burns-or-bust bandwagon way back when the Wild were looking to move him.

I'd wanted us to land Burns because we'd just lost Rafalski to retirement, Lidstrom wasn't getting any younger, and we were in an arms race with the Sharks.

9 hours ago, TheXym said:

I remember Dabura's posts back then.  The Rafalsky early retirement  surprised everyone if I recall correctly.

Lidstrom retiring was always gonna be a huge blow, but losing Stuart and Rafalski early over personal reasons were huge blows as well that I feel like get glossed over.

Lidstrom - Raflaski
Kronwall - Stuart

That was a dreamy top 4 :wub: then 3/4 were gone in a matter of a few seasons

Lidstrom - Rafalski
Kronwall - Stuart

Then the bums Kindl, Smith, Ericsson, and Quincey never stepped up either. This team was bound for doom in that scenario.

On 8/18/2017 at 8:14 AM, TheXym said:

I remember Dabura's posts back then.  The Rafalsky early retirement  surprised everyone if I recall correctly.

Was I even posting back then? I took, like, a one or two year break from LGW, if memory serves. I just remember being really ticked about the whole situation. Granted, I was younger and stupider back then, so pretty much everything ticked me off.