• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Neomaxizoomdweebie

2018 Prospect Tournament and Training Camp

Rate this topic

Just now, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

It's easy to see why Veleno was granted exceptional status for the Q draft. Thrilled we got this guy. 

He looks amazing. So f***ing smooth. I've said I think he has the potential to be almost as good as Larkin. I think he looks better (more polished) than Larkin did at the same age. I'll leave it at that...

They're playing two 25 minute periods. First 20 minutes of the first was 5-on-5, last 5 minutes was 3-on-3. Penalties called were penalty shots (Helm and Turgeon) rather than power-plays. I'd rather see two minute penalties called. Work on special teams...

Veleno and Cholowski continue to impress.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

He looks amazing. So f***ing smooth. I've said I think he has the potential to be almost as good as Larkin. I think he looks better (more polished) than Larkin did at the same age. I'll leave it at that...

I'm actually surprised by the whole "no elite upside" narrative that I was hearing around draft time. He seems to have all the tools at his disposal and considering his age I feel like the sky's the limit.

11 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I'm actually surprised by the whole "no elite upside" narrative that I was hearing around draft time. He seems to have all the tools at his disposal and considering his age I feel like the sky's the limit.

There's definitely offensive upside there, and I agree that the sky's the limit with this kid. The funny thing is, I never heard any of that "no elite upside" nonsense predraft. It's almost as if that narrative was created when he started to slip to justify why so many teams passed on him. It looks like Zadina will he a steal at 6, but Veleno will go down as the biggest steal in this draft in my opinion.

57 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

That's gonna be a line in Detroit from what I've been reading. Sounds electric.

FWIW, Abby was originally slotted in Zadina's spot. Abby's been absent because of the birth of his son, so they put Zadina there. So I wouldn't get too attached to that line quite yet. The exhibition games will settle things.

Pretty good game overall. I think the big takeaway is HELM'S TRADE VALUE WILL NEVER BE HIGHER.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

2-0 White. Helm with both goals. First on a partial breakaway, second on a penalty shot.

He's showing hands!  HE'S SHOWING HANDS!!  TRADE THAT MAN!

Edited by e_prime

21 hours ago, brett said:

you guys better not start calling zadina Z

i will quit the forum

Z2?

55 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Loved the Red and White Game. Svech looked good. Zadina too. Helm actually showed hands.

Love the Alumni game. Watching a helmetless Mickey Redmond skate down the ice and score was priceless. He's still got it!

39 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Loved the Red and White Game. Svech looked good. Zadina too. Helm actually showed hands.

Love the Alumni game. Watching a helmetless Mickey Redmond skate down the ice and score was priceless. He's still got it!

Svech didn't stand out much to me (aside from banging in that rebound), but maybe you seen something I didn't. I'm still hopeful that he can develop into a decent middle six, 30-40 point winger. You were at the game weren't you? How did the other kids (Zadina, Veleno, Rasmussen, Smith Cholowski, Hronek, Saarijarvi) look up close and personal?

On 9/17/2018 at 10:15 AM, krsmith17 said:

Svech didn't stand out much to me (aside from banging in that rebound), but maybe you seen something I didn't. I'm still hopeful that he can develop into a decent middle six, 30-40 point winger. You were at the game weren't you? How did the other kids (Zadina, Veleno, Rasmussen, Smith Cholowski, Hronek, Saarijarvi) look up close and personal?

I was not expecting much out of Svech because it seem like he's been passed up by other prospects. He was better than I thought he would be based on lower expectations, if that makes sense. That said, I think he involves himself in the play well and seems to be sound positionally, hence the rebound goal.

I like Cholowski. He seems to have a higher ceiling than Hronek IMO. I really see top pair potential there. Hronek seemed up to the task, but didn't "wow" me. Sulak got a long look at camp to. He didn't look bad.

Ras looked more "polished", but seemed to me like he could have dominated, if he wanted to. Maybe needs to bulk up? Does seem like he makes the roster.

I know ur high on Veleno. He looks like he has real potential, and isn't as far away as I thought. 2 years tops.

Zadina didn't impress me at all during the Tournament. I expected him to be better considering he was playing against kids, most of whom aren't NHL ready. He looked better in camp, but I think he could use some time in GR first.

The 2 most underrated guys IMO were Smith and Saarajarvi. 

Smith craves action, and gets involved in the play whether in the O or D zone. Wherever the puck is, he seems to be there. Very strong on the puck when he has it. much improved over last year.

Saarajarvi was very much under the radar behind Cholowski and Hronek, but is very underrated IMO. Seemed to understand the position and have the ability to overcome limitations. Future NHLer IMO.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I was expecting much out of Svech because it seem like he's been passed up by other prospects. He was better than I thought he would be based on lower expectations, if that makes sense. That said, I think he involves himself in the play well and seems to be sound positionally, hence the rebound goal.

I like Cholowski. He seems to have a higher ceiling than Hronek IMO. I really see top pair potential there. Hronek seemed up to the task, but didn't "wow" me. Sulak got a long look at camp to. He didn't look bad.

Ras looked more "polished", but seemed to me like he could have dominated, if he wanted to. Maybe needs to bulk up? Does seem like he makes the roster.

I know ur high on Veleno. He looks like he has real potential, and isn't as far away as I thought. 2 years tops.

Zadina didn't impress me at all during the Tournament. I expected him to be better considering he was playing against kids, most of whom aren't NHL ready. He looked better in camp, but I think he could use some time in GR first.

The 2 most underrated guys IMO were Smith and Saarajarvi. 

Smith craves action, and gets involved in the play whether in the O or D zone. Wherever the puck is, he seems to be there. Very strong on the puck when he has it. much improved over last year.

Saarajarvi was very much under the radar behind Cholowski and Hronek, but is very underrated IMO. Seemed to understand the position and have the ability to overcome limitations. Future NHLer IMO.

Thanks for the insight, and I can say I agree with everything you said from what I've seen of the prospects tournament and Red and White game.

Good to hear Svechnikov has exceeded expectations, even if they were (rightfully so) at an all-time low. Still hope he can be a player for us, and not go the way of Jurco...

I agree on Cholowski having a higher ceiling than Hronek. Cholowski seems to excel in all areas of the game, whereas Hronek is purely offensive minded. I hope you're right about him developing into a top pair defenseman, but I still see him as a very good middle pairing guy at this point.

I'm not that high on Veleno. He's a decent prospect...  :tounge2: Yeah, he looked great. One of the best throughout the entire prospects tournament and Red and White game in my (unbiased) opinion... The thing to keep in mind with Veleno though, is that he will be AHL eligible after this season because of that exceptional status, giving him 4 full seasons in the CHL.

I agree on Zadina, Rasmussen, Smith and Saarijarvi as well. I've never been too high on Vili, but he definitely opened my eyes a little in this past week. It's going to be interesting to keep an eye on him this season in Grand Rapids. With Hronek likely making the Wings, he will likely be the top power-play quarterback for the Griffins this season.