• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Top 50 NHL Prospects

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

He won't.  He moved closer to home for off ice reasons = he doesn't care about team stuff.  He will Nyquist out in a few seasons.

3 hours ago, solarion said:

Well then he's doing it wrong. lol Phoenix is further from Milwaukee than Montreal is...though there are less annoying border guys to deal with.

Nyquist as a verb...stellar! I'm stealing that.

owned_o_296343.gif

Sabres!!! Phooey!!! L33t tank commanders maybe.

I imagine Colorado is going to be a lot higher next year after that totally horribad 3-way trade that sent Duchene to the Sens in exchange for their conditional 1st, 3rd, Turris, the kitchen sink, etc comes home to roost. Man that trade stunk then and is just going to look worse next year. Sakic bent Dorion over on that deal.

Clearly...I digress, but I still have some Avs hate-or-ade on tap. lol

A bit surprised they put Veleno at #2 on the Wing's prospect list...me likes.

Edited by solarion

47 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Best & Worst Prospect Pipelines Ranked

Buffalo #1

Detroit #10

Pittsburgh #31

Wings should be a wee bit higher, IMO, but I'll take it. Pretty fair assessments.

35 minutes ago, solarion said:

A bit surprised they put Veleno at #2 on the Wing's prospect list...me likes.

I feel he's pretty solidly our #2. Certainly he's in the top three.

I've said it before: I don't see much difference between 2018 Veleno and 2014 Larkin. I'm still not convinced he wasn't the best centerman available in this draft class. Time will tell, of course.

32 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Yeah, if I've a gun to my head, I probably take Rasmussen over Veleno, but they're pretty close in my book...which helps illustrate just what a steal Veleno was. The Tatar trade looked pretty good before draft day, now it looks like a monster win for KH. I may have taken Veleno over Kotkaniemi as well, but frankly neither of them were worth a number 3 in that draft, there was just too much other talent available.

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

Wings should be a wee bit higher, IMO, but I'll take it. Pretty fair assessments.

I've said it before: I don't see much difference between 2018 Veleno and 2014 Larkin. I'm still not convinced he wasn't the best centerman available in this draft class. Time will tell, of course.

This 100%. They're basically the same player coming out of the draft, with the same strengths (skating, vision, passing)  and weaknesses (shot, strength), same projection (Larkin already exceeded his), exact same size, etc. Hell, Veleno was even compared to Larkin pre-draft (before anyone even knew he'd be going to Detroit) by a few draft analysts. I have a feeling Veleno will exceed expectations the same way Larkin did. He has the drive and determination to get there.

3 hours ago, solarion said:

Yeah, if I've a gun to my head, I probably take Rasmussen over Veleno, but they're pretty close in my book...which helps illustrate just what a steal Veleno was. The Tatar trade looked pretty good before draft day, now it looks like a monster win for KH. I may have taken Veleno over Kotkaniemi as well, but frankly neither of them were worth a number 3 in that draft, there was just too much other talent available.

I'd take Veleno over Rasmussen and it's not even close for me. I think Veleno will be the much better player. I also see Veleno as a true center, and Ras developing into more of a winger, and I'd take the C over the W every time.

On 8/2/2018 at 5:01 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Best & Worst Prospect Pipelines Ranked

Buffalo #1

Detroit #10

Pittsburgh #31

LOL. These lists are basically meaningless other than providing something to talk about in the off season. How many of those teams in the top 10 are always in the top 10 and still never any good? How many of those teams in the bottom 10 are perennial playoff teams?

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

TOP 50 Prospects - SportingNews

#8 Filip Zadina (Ahead of Dylan Strome, Cale Makar)

# Joe Veleno (Ahead of Brady Tkachuk, Quinn Hughes, Oliver Wahlstrom)

We shouldn't put much stock in any of these rankings, but anyone that puts Dahlin #3 behind Pettersson and Svechnikov loses all credibility in my opinion.

21 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Anybody that has Dahlin as a "prospect" past 1st day of training camp is a jackass.  The very second Dahlin hits the ice for Buffalo, he is their #1D.  And for a LONG time.

How long

On 8/5/2018 at 12:03 PM, krsmith17 said:

We shouldn't put much stock in any of these rankings, but anyone that puts Dahlin #3 behind Pettersson and Svechnikov loses all credibility in my opinion.

Why?  He's not the next Bobby Orr.  The most common comparable I've see is Victor Hedman.  I've seen Svech most often compared to Kovalchuk and Pettersson compared to Zetterberg most often.  When you think of it in those terms its not so absurd.  The only thing that Dahlin was heads and tails above the other two in is hype, not actual upside. 

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Why?  He's not the next Bobby Orr.  The most common comparable I've see is Victor Hedman.  I've seen Svech most often compared to Kovalchuk and Pettersson compared to Zetterberg most often.  When you think of it in those terms its not so absurd.  The only thing that Dahlin was heads and tails above the other two in is hype, not actual upside. 

Have you watched Dahlin play? Granted he's the unconventional Karlsson type, but this kid is absolutely deserving of the hype.

Decision making/positioning-wise he plays like a man with twice his experience

His passing and playmaking is already at an insane level

Do not doubt the Dahlin. You will look foolish.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Have you watched Dahlin play? Granted he's the unconventional Karlsson type, but this kid is absolutely deserving of the hype.

I'm sure all the people who vote on the SHL awards watched him plenty, and they still gave all the trophies to Pettersson.

13 minutes ago, Buppy said:

I'm sure all the people who vote on the SHL awards watched him plenty, and they still gave all the trophies to Pettersson.

I really like Pettersson. I advocated drafting him on this board quite openly, I don't think anyone here agreed with me at the time, or at least diidn't pipe up. Wonder how everyone feels now...

Dahlin absolutely deserves all credit though. Kid is a phenomenal Dman. Best I've seen in a while.

8 hours ago, kipwinger said:

He's literally the most highly regarded defenseman pre-draft ever. A cross between Hedman and Karlsson is what most draft analysts have been saying. He was the undisputed pick ahead of Svechnikov just a month and a half ago. What has changed since then? I just don't see an argument for Svechnikov or Pettersson ahead of Dahlin... I'd take the generational defenseman any day.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

He's literally the most highly regarded defenseman pre-draft ever. A cross between Hedman and Karlsson is what most draft analysts have been saying. He was the undisputed pick ahead of Svechnikov just a month and a half ago. What has changed since then? I just don't see an argument for Svechnikov or Pettersson ahead of Dahlin... I'd take the generational defenseman any day.

Image result for yes sir meme

11 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Agreed.  Havent been to a show since zooropa tour in 93.  Do they still close with 40?

Dunno. Never been unfortunately. Came to Indy last year and I missed it. Still pssd.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

To his credit Pettersson is really f***in good... franchise dmen are too valuable thou

18 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

To his credit Pettersson is really f***in good... franchise dmen are too valuable thou

I agree. And saying that I wouldn't put any other prospect in the same conversation as Dahlin isn't a knock against Pettersson or Svechnikov or Heiskanen or anybody else.

51 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I remember when people said the same things about Aaron Ekblad.  Recency bias is a powerful thing. 

Ekblad isn't good now...? News to me

Anyway, Ekblad definitely was not as hyped to the level of Dahlin. If that's your angle, you've been asleep at the wheel.