• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barrie

Tavares Return to NY Video

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

As mentioned many times, I live in the Toronto area. There's been many complaints here about how Tavares was" treated" Thursday night in Long Island. No one got hurt, so I don't have a problem with it. I personally love it when the fans become a big part of the game. I think the best way for visiting teams to shut up the fans, is to play well. What do Leaf fans expect when their team goes out and loses 6-1? As the saying goes, "Living well is the best revenge".

Anyway, I found this video on youtube. Don't mind the language (there's a few f-words, and the a-hole chant), if it's to much, go ahead and delete the discussion. However, some of the chants are very clever, making references to Tavares not wanting to be traded, and the picture he posted of him as a kid with his Maple Leafs bed sheets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFP3Wdt0ezU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barrie said:

As mentioned many times, I live in the Toronto area. There's been many complaints here about how Tavares was" treated" Thursday night in Long Island. No one got hurt, so I don't have a problem with it. I personally love it when the fans become a big part of the game. I think the best way for visiting teams to shut up the fans, is to play well. What do Leaf fans expect when their team goes out and loses 6-1? As the saying goes, "Living well is the best revenge".

Anyway, I found this video on youtube. Don't mind the language (there's a few f-words, and the a-hole chant), if it's to much, go ahead and delete the discussion. However, some of the chants are very clever, making references to Tavares not wanting to be traded, and the picture he posted of him as a kid with his Maple Leafs bed sheets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFP3Wdt0ezU

Imagine if Matthews bolted to go play for the Rangers or something in a few years. Toronto would probably act exactly the same way I imagine.

Like everyone's been saying, I enjoy when fans get involved and are passionate about their team. It's some good drama. At the end of the day we're the ones paying all the bills, we are allowed to not like stuff and ***** about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 4:08 PM, Barrie said:

Leaf fans are soft. There's something going around social media saying next home game the fans should cheer Tavares as loud as they can.

...and so they did.  Gave him a frickin' standing ovation like he'd just come back from wartime or something.  FFS.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, e_prime said:

...and so they did.  Gave him a frickin' standing ovation like he'd just come back from wartime or something.  FFS.  

 

10 hours ago, e_prime said:

 

I hate Toronto even more now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally I would say the fans are being assholes, but I completely understand the anger of the fans. There is nothing worse then loosing a star player for zero assets WHILE not making the playoffs. Many players leave after a playoff run, and many players are traded when their team doesnt make it, but this is very unique. They easily could have landed a 1st rounder+ for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But, but, they were so mean to little Johnny. Those bully Islander fans were calling him names and making fun of his jammy-jams. He is such a sensitive little boy, what if they hurt his little feelings? What if he developed PTSD from this?

Thats why we had to give him a standing ovation.  At a meaningless game. When he accomplished nothing. Or did nothing of note. Other than being taunted. By rival fans. In another building. Because what he had been thru was so awful, we had to applaud him. To give him a safe place. To make him feel loved. Because his pride was crushed. And his feelings were hurt. And he is so sensitive and thin-skinned. It might have traumatized him for the rest of the season. We had to baby him. To protect and mother him. It was the only way to take his boo-boos away.

 

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kliq said:

Normally I would say the fans are being assholes, but I completely understand the anger of the fans. There is nothing worse then loosing a star player for zero assets WHILE not making the playoffs. Many players leave after a playoff run, and many players are traded when their team doesnt make it, but this is very unique. They easily could have landed a 1st rounder+ for him.

Yeah the problem is Johnny played good Islander up until the moment he signed with the Leafs. I legitimately believe the Isles thought he was most likely going to re-sign. Hence why he wasn't traded. And John may very well have wanted to re-sign up until the final days, I keep hearing that it was his agent is the one who pushed hard for him to join the Leafs. But in the end he sat on the fence, and the Isles lost something for nothing. He shoulda made up his mind at the TDL IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

But, but, they were so mean to little Johnny. Those bully Islander fans were calling him names and making fun of his jammy-jams. He is such a sensitive little boy, what if they hurt his little feelings? What if he developed PTSD from this?

Thats why we had to give him a standing ovation.  At a meaningless game. When he accomplished nothing. Or did nothing of note. Other than being taunted. By rival fans. In another building. Because what he had been thru was so awful, we had to applaud him. To give him a safe place. To make him feel loved. Because his pride was crushed. And his feelings were hurt. And he is so sensitive and thin-skinned. It might have traumatized him for the rest of the season. We had to baby him. To protect and mother him. It was the only way to take his boo-boos away.

 

To be fair, as far as I know JT himself didnt complain about anything, its more so the TO media that are blowing this up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kliq said:

To be fair, as far as I know JT himself didnt complain about anything, its more so the TO media that are blowing this up.

The thing that kills me is how he seemingly is drinking in all the adoration from Leafs Nation.  

Maybe that's just me reading into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

But, but, they were so mean to little Johnny. Those bully Islander fans were calling him names and making fun of his jammy-jams. He is such a sensitive little boy, what if they hurt his little feelings? What if he developed PTSD from this?

Thats why we had to give him a standing ovation.  At a meaningless game. When he accomplished nothing. Or did nothing of note. Other than being taunted. By rival fans. In another building. Because what he had been thru was so awful, we had to applaud him. To give him a safe place. To make him feel loved. Because his pride was crushed. And his feelings were hurt. And he is so sensitive and thin-skinned. It might have traumatized him for the rest of the season. We had to baby him. To protect and mother him. It was the only way to take his boo-boos away.

 

??

When did JT say his feelings were hurt or if he was remotely bothered by it? I don't think anyone is claiming this. From what everyone said Tavares brushed it off and took it like a champ and acted fully professionally. 

This was his exact quote :

"They always made it tough on the opponent when I played here," Tavares said. "They have their feelings, and that's out of my control."

Tavares added that the tribute was "nice," despite the cacophony that accompanied it.

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kliq said:

To be fair, as far as I know JT himself didnt complain about anything, its more so the TO media that are blowing this up.

Yeah Toronto was really dramatizing the situation. They just wanted to be relevant to the situation. But they really aren't. It's between Tavares and the Isles fans. They'll get over it just like we got over Fedorov. 

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the laugh guys.

I watched Tavares in the post game interview. He was asked about the Islanders fans, he said he expected it, and it didn't seem to bother him. Athletes are some of the most mentally tough people in society. Guys who are wusses don't make it that far. They play in front of tens of thousands of people, and are told they "suck" every game.

Yes, it was the Toronto fans and media who made a big deal out of it. I think the only thing that got hurt was Toronto media and fans feelings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 4:15 PM, Dabura said:

This is why no one likes Canada.

Everyone likes canada. We just dont like the leafs or their fans. But as a canadian I can proudly wear my flag anywhere in the world. Hbu bro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kliq said:

To be fair, as far as I know JT himself didnt complain about anything, its more so the TO media that are blowing this up.

 

4 hours ago, kickazz said:

??

When did JT say his feelings were hurt or if he was remotely bothered by it? I don't think anyone is claiming this. From what everyone said Tavares brushed it off and took it like a champ and acted fully professionally. 

This was his exact quote :

"They always made it tough on the opponent when I played here," Tavares said. "They have their feelings, and that's out of my control."

Tavares added that the tribute was "nice," despite the cacophony that accompanied it.

I wasnt trying to imply that Tavares was hurt or offended in anyway. My post was directed at Leafs Nation who seemed to think that he is some child who can't take heckling and taunting from opposing fans and must be applauded and praised to make him feel better. The gesture was just sad, and actually made Tavares look worse, as if he needs Leafs Nation for some kind of emotional support.

If the roles were reversed, Toronto would have done exactly the same thing to JT when he came back there to play; but there's no way that the Islanders would have given him an unnecessary celebration as if he was some kind of war hero returning home. Only in Toronto would this happen.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Euro_Twins said:

Everyone likes canada. We just dont like the leafs or their fans. But as a canadian I can proudly wear my flag anywhere in the world. Hbu bro?

I generally dont wear anything patriotic. I am humble and dont like to show off to the rest of the envious world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this