• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2019-20 Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Thanks for the report!

Do you think Rasmussen has a realistic shot at forcing his way into a middle-six center role with the Wings next season? I realize it's a really small sample size this season, but it seems like putting up points in a tough 1C role is no big deal for him at the AHL level...

Yeah, I think so for sure. Assuming Ras stays healthy, continues at the pace he's been playing at, has a good summer / training camp, I think he will start next season as our 3C. (More reason we should be trying to get rid of Nielsen...). I still think Veleno has a higher ceiling, but Rasmussen appears to be further along in his development (being a year older). I've watched most of the games Ras has played this season, and I've been really impressed. Still not sure if he'll be better suited at center or on the wing at the NHL level, but I have more confidence in his ability to play center than I did prior to this season. 

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I think so for sure. Assuming Ras stays healthy, continues at the pace he's been playing at, has a good summer / training camp, I think he will start next season as our 3C. (More reason we should be trying to get rid of Nielsen...). I still think Veleno has a higher ceiling, but Rasmussen appears to be further along in his development (being a year older). I've watched most of the games Ras has played this season, and I've been really impressed. Still not sure if he'll be better suited at center or on the wing at the NHL level, but I have more confidence in his ability to play center than I did prior to this season. 

MR-BURNS-EXCELLENT-1.jpg

14 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Imagine:

the wings draft Lafreniere (or one of the Swedes) and immediately have one of the brightest groups of top 6 wingers in the league - Lafreniere + Zadina + Mantha + Bertuzzi

or

the wings take Byfield (or Stutzle) and soon have one of the best group of centers in the league - 1C Byfield + 2C Larkin + 3C Rasmussen + 4C Veleno

or 

They take Drysdale and eventually have a pretty great group of top 4 D 

This draft is going to do wonders for the franchise. Rock n roll. 

39 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Imagine:

the wings draft Lafreniere (or one of the Swedes) and immediately have one of the brightest groups of top 6 wingers in the league - Lafreniere + Zadina + Mantha + Bertuzzi

or

the wings take Byfield (or Stutzle) and soon have one of the best group of centers in the league - 1C Byfield + 2C Larkin + 3C Rasmussen + 4C Veleno

or 

They take Drysdale and eventually have a pretty great group of top 4 D 

This draft is going to do wonders for the franchise. Rock n roll. 

I pretty much agree with all of this except the bolded, and I'm pretty sure you knew that, and probably why you said it...

If we end up drafting Byfield or Stutzel, I think one of Rasmussen or Veleno should move to the wing. As you know, my pick would be Rasmussen, since I think Veleno is a better center. IF those 4 were our centers, I think Veleno would be 3C and Rasmussen 4C.

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I pretty much agree with all of this except the bolded, and I'm pretty sure you knew that, and probably why you said it...

If we end up drafting Byfield or Stutzel, I think one of Rasmussen or Veleno should move to the wing. As you know, my pick would be Rasmussen, since I think Veleno is a better center. IF those 4 were our centers, I think Veleno would be 3C and Rasmussen 4C.

Me: future's bright. I'm excited. 

You: waaaaaaah!!!!! My boy Veleno is teh best! Take it back!  

Tooooo easy. 

39 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Me: future's bright. I'm excited. 

You: waaaaaaah!!!!! My boy Veleno is teh best! Take it back!  

Tooooo easy. 

Umm not at all. Like I said, I agree with pretty much everything you said, I just disagree that Rasmussen will be a better center than Veleno. I know how much that bother you...

"Tooooo easy".

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Umm not at all. Like I said, I agree with pretty much everything you said, I just disagree that Rasmussen will be a better center than Veleno. I know how much that bother you...

"Tooooo easy".

I just figure the guy who has shown more offense so far at the pro level deserves to be the higher ranked center. But whatevs. 

27 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Based on what? 

My personal evaluation on watching both a LOT over the past couple years... What are you basing your assertion on? Stats? Forget the fact that Rasmussen is a year older...

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

58 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

you think the better offensive player should be 4C? 

I think Veleno plays C and Ras gets moved to wing.

14 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree. Unless Veleno ends up our 2C and Rasmussen 3C.

You're really doubling down on your guy eh? 

Veleno is our Glendenning replacement. 

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

My personal evaluation on watching both a LOT over the past couple years... What are you basing your assertion on? Stats? Forget the fact that Rasmussen is a year older...

Heaven forbid I use stats vs personal narrative and bias. 

It's like you think he winked at you one time 5 years ago and you've been smitten ever since.

4 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You're really doubling down on your guy eh? 

Veleno is our Glendenning replacement. 

Heaven forbid I use stats vs personal narrative and bias. 

It's like you think he winked at you one time 5 years ago and you've been smitten ever since.

Why does it bother you so much that I think Veleno will be a better center than Rasmussen? I truly don't get it. You think Rasmussen is going to be better. Cool. 

Lot's of Prospect goodies over at The Athletic this morning. 

Pronman Ranks The Best Prospects Outside The NHL

Ranks 72 players

Seider is 6th

Veleno is 39th 

And that's is. (Zadina has graduated) 

Zegras and Cozen are 1 and 2. 

Side note: Pronman is not my favorite evaluator of NHL talent. 

Then there's this

Bultman Ranks the 21 Best Red Wings Prospects

1. Seider

2. Zadina

3. Veleno

4. Rasmussen

5. Bergrren

6. Smith

7. McIsacc

8. Tuomisto

9. Mastrosimone

10. Lindstrom

11. Johansson

12. Soderblom

13. Svechnikov

14. Pearson

15. Larsson

16. Grewe

17. Hirose

18. Phillips

19. Barton

20. Eliasson

21. Berglund

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

If Veleno and Ras can become legit 2nd and 3rd line centers, I'll be pumped. I do not care which of the two becomes a 2nd line center, I just hope either can achieve that level of success. 

Ras is playing better right now, but he is also a year further into his development, and in his second full season playing pro hockey. Hopefully Veleno continues to improve in the AHL level, because the Wings need both of these guys to pan out, regardless of which of the two turns out to be better.  

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

On 1/15/2020 at 9:56 AM, marcaractac said:

If Veleno and Ras can become legit 2nd and 3rd line centers, I'll be pumped. I do not care which of the two becomes a 2nd line center, I just hope either can achieve that level of success. 

Ras is playing better right now, but he is also a year further into his development, and in his second full season playing pro hockey. Hopefully Veleno continues to improve in the AHL level, because the Wings need both of these guys to pan out, regardless of which of the two turns out to be better.  

I honestly like the idea of Veleno playing wing the more I think about it.  Let him be another Tyler Bertuzzi, and chase down pucks for Filip Zadina on the 2nd line with whomever we draft this year. He (and Bertuzzi) are the perfect "piano pullers" because they can get to pucks and win battles, but they're not completely devoid of offensive talent either.