• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

Just in case anyone wanted to know Marco Rossi now has an outstanding 120 points in 56 games.  He scored all those points on 193 shots, giving him the highest shooting percentage of any draft eligible.  He's also a top defensive forward and leads all OHL draft eligibles in FO%.  Kid reminds me of Datsyuk in so many ways. 

Edited by kipwinger

45 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

If Yzerman drafts Raymond I'll be ******* pissed

The only reason to be "f***ing pissed", is if Yzerman goes completely off the board. Even then, Yzerman should have earned our trust with the Seider pick. Raymond is definitely within the 4th overall range. He's been compared by many to Mitch Marner. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be be too pissed about a potential Mitch Marner...

25 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

The only reason to be "f***ing pissed", is if Yzerman goes completely off the board. Even then, Yzerman should have earned our trust with the Seider pick. Raymond is definitely within the 4th overall range. He's been compared by many to Mitch Marner. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be be too pissed about a potential Mitch Marner...

A Marner is lovely when you have Mathews and Tavares down the middle. But when there are centers and dmen in that range projected to be just as good as Raymond (aka Raymond not being the BPA, which is the argument you'll make next)? Take the ******* center or dman. Gonna be a long rebuild if wingers are taken with the top pick every year.

The likely hood of Raymond being a better NHL player than guys like Rossi or Drysdale is minimal at best. Zadina has already been chosen over Hughes. Sure, hindsight. But maybe let's not make that mistake again so quick.

31 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

After this season I personally want someone better than a Mitch Marner

3 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Take the ******* center or dman. Gonna be a long rebuild if wingers are taken with the top pick every year.

So don't draft Lafreniere if we get the 1st overall? 

5 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Lafeniere is the exception, because he is very likely going to be the best player in the entire draft. He has the combination of high hockey IQ and the skills to back it up that aren't often seen. His ceiling is higher than others in the draft. But it's that cluster of picks from like 2-8 where there is a lot of players with equivalent ceilings. 

4 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Lafeniere is the exception, because he is very likely going to be the best player in the entire draft. He has the combination of high hockey IQ and the skills to back it up that aren't often seen. His ceiling is higher than others in the draft. But it's that cluster of picks from like 2-8 where there is a lot of players with equivalent ceilings. 

If you're taking Lafreniere because he's the BPA then logically you have to take BPA whevere you pick. If Yzerman thinks Raymond is BPA, then he takes him. 

Also beyond Byfield there are no players in the top 5 that are surefire centers. Stutzle and Rossi both come with concerns about their ability to play center in the NHL. So based on this, we should take Drysdale 3rd overall for example? 

7 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

A Marner is lovely when you have Mathews and Tavares down the middle. But when there are centers and dmen in that range projected to be just as good as Raymond (aka Raymond not being the BPA, which is the argument you'll make next)? Take the ******* center or dman. Gonna be a long rebuild if wingers are taken with the top pick every year.

The likely hood of Raymond being a better NHL player than guys like Rossi or Drysdale is minimal at best. Zadina has already been chosen over Hughes. Sure, hindsight. But maybe let's not make that mistake again so quick.

Who says Raymond won't be the BPA at 4? The likelihood of Raymond being a better NHL player than those guys is minimal? Says who? I believe Raymond is the 4th best prospect in the upcoming draft. You clearly disagree.

A winger as talented as Marner (maybe Raymond) can drive a line from the wing, just as well as any center can from the middle. This belief that your best players need to be centers is false. It just so happens that most of the best players ARE centers. That should never prevent you from drafting a winger if you view him as the best player.

16 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

If you're taking Lafreniere because he's the BPA then logically you have to take BPA whevere you pick. If Yzerman thinks Raymond is BPA, then he takes him. 

Also beyond Byfield there are no players in the top 5 that are surefire centers. Stutzle and Rossi both come with concerns about their ability to play center in the NHL. So based on this, we should take Drysdale 3rd overall for example? 

I myself don't think Raymond is the BPA anywhere from picks 2 through 4. That's literally the point of my initial argument.

As for the bold, says who?

Edited by marcaractac

14 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Unfortunately, the only guaranteed player (in my opinion) better than Marner in this upcoming draft, is Lafreniere. There are a lot of players in the 2-6 range that I believe could be as good, but may never reach that sort of ceiling.

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

This.

2 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I myself don't think Raymond is the BPA anywhere from picks 2 through 4. That's literally the point of my initial argument.

You said this

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

If Yzerman drafts Raymond I'll be ******* pissed

Pretty extreme If Y thinks he's BPA you have to respect that

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Who says Raymond won't be the BPA at 4? The likelihood of Raymond being a better NHL player than those guys is minimal? Says who? I believe Raymond is the 4th best prospect in the upcoming draft. You clearly disagree.

A winger as talented as Marner (maybe Raymond) can drive a line from the wing, just as well as any center can from the middle. This belief that your best players need to be centers is false. It just so happens that most of the best players ARE centers. That should never prevent you from drafting a winger if you view him as the best player.

Me. My opinion. That's the point of discussion forums, is it not? To express our opinions? I think Raymond is equivalent in terms of ceilings to guys like Rossi and Drysdale. Meaning I do not see him standing out as BPA. So the whole if all else is equal thing, take the center or dman. 

I literally called you out on making the BPA argument in my initial post, despite me explaining why I think it isn't the case, and you went and did it anyway.

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You said this

Pretty extreme If Y thinks he's BPA you have to respect that

So as a fan I'm I not allowed to disagree with decisions made by management? Why do discussion forums even exist to begin with, if we aren't allowed to have our own opinions?

Edited by marcaractac

Just now, marcaractac said:

Me. My opinion. That's the point of discussion forums, is it not? To express our opinions? I think Raymond is equivalent in terms of ceilings to guys like Rossi and Drysdale. Meaning I do not see him standing out as BPA. So the whole if all else is equal thing, take the center or dman. 

Sure, if "all else is equal", but that's rarely, if ever the case.

If Yzerman views all three exactly equal, and he's going to draft by positional need, Rossi probably should be the first choice, but then I'd argue Raymond over Drysdale. We already have two top four right-handed defensemen in Hronek and Seider. We don't have a single top six right-handed winger in the entire organization... That's a positional need that has been lacking for over a decade now...

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Sure, if "all else is equal", but that's rarely, if ever the case.

If Yzerman views all three exactly equal, and he's going to draft by positional need, Rossi probably should be the first choice, but then I'd argue Raymond over Drysdale. We already have two top four right-handed defensemen in Hronek and Seider. We don't have a single top six right-handed winger in the entire organization... That's a positional need that has been lacking for over a decade now...

I don't think Raymond will be any better than Rossi or Drysdale. You think he will be. Agree to disagree. 

Convenient, however, that you point out Raymond as a positional need. I'm sure that doesn't influence your opinions of him at all. 

2 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I don't think Raymond will be any better than Rossi or Drysdale. You think he will be. Agree to disagree. 

Convenient, however, that you point out Raymond as a positional need. I'm sure that doesn't influence your opinions of him at all. 

Not at all actually. I'm basing my opinion, admittedly on very few viewings, reading a few articles, rankings, etc. Most of which have pointed to Raymond being a better overall prospect at this point. I'm not going to pretend to know who will be better in the future, but I do trust Yzerman with that decision. I'm also not going to be pissed, unless he goes way off the board. And again, Raymond is far from "way off the board" if we happen to fall to 4...

6 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I haven't seen a single credible source say that either Stutzle or Rossi won't be centers in the NHL.  What are you reading?

13 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I haven't seen a single credible source say that either Stutzle or Rossi won't be centers in the NHL.  What are you reading?

Probably just a case of "but their too smol!!!!!" Because, you know, guys like Braden Point don't exist. 

14 hours ago, kipwinger said:

23 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Probably just a case of "but their too smol!!!!!" Because, you know, guys like Braden Point don't exist. 

Rossi

Credible source:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

There’s no questioning the ability, but some teams fear he won’t be able to do it at center in the NHL.

And Stutzle IS currently a winger. I know most scouts think he can play center at the NHL level but until he actually does, there's some reason for doubt. 

Before you two get yer quote boners on, I'm not dying on this sword and don't really give a s***. Just sayin