• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

10/23 Not Like This. Not Like This GDT - Red Wings @ Senators - 7:30 PM EST

Rate this topic

39 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm curious as to why you don't think Veleno has the offensive capabilities? Was it the monster numbers he put up last year in the Q? or the short stint (first 6 games) in the AHL?

I'm more so saying that Rasmussen has the size advantage against his competition, that wasn't and won't be the case when he plays in the NHL, as opposed to the AHL. But yes, Rasmussen does have the size advantage over Veleno, and that's not going to change. However, I'd argue that Veleno has just about every other advantage you want in a forward (center); skating, passing, hockey IQ, etc... So again, aside from these first six games, what gives you the impression that Rasmussen is a better prospect than Veleno?

1st Bold: Rasmussen will have a size advantage at the NHL level too.  There are like 3 guys in the league as big as him currently.  And he's only going to get bigger.  It's a little like saying Brian Boyle doesn't have a size advantage in the NHL. 

2nd Bold:  Rasmussen has historically been a more prolific goal scorer than Veleno. He's actually a MUCH more prolific goal scorer.  Rasmussen scored 81 goals in 161 games in juniors compared to 90 goals in 230 games for Veleno.  So it's not just his current stint in the AHL which could lead someone to believe he'll be the better overall player. 

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Oh, I know you'd argue. 

Rasmussen will be as good defensively as Veleno and probably better offensively. Debatable?Maybe. 

BUT Rasmussen's size and net-front game makes him "special". He's going to do all the things I'm alluding to when I say he'll be good defensively and he'll hold his own 5-on-5 offensively while also carving himself out a very important niche role of PP net front monster. Something he should be elite at vs the rest of the league. No part of Veleno's game is that special.

Very debatable. We'll have to wait and see...

I don't think any part of Veleno's game is elite, but very few 2nd line centers have any elite attributes. They just do everything very well. That's Veleno, solid, well-rounded, two-way center. If I were to guess on one thing he could be elite at (or close to it), zone exits and entries. The guy can skate.

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

1st Bold: Rasmussen will have a size advantage at the NHL level too.  There are like 3 guys in the league as big as him currently.  And he's only going to get bigger.  It's a little like saying Brian Boyle doesn't have a size advantage in the NHL. 

"wasn't and won't be *as much* the case when he plays in the NHL, as opposed to the AHL"... Sorry, I left out two words... I obviously think he's going to have a size advantage. I also said this "Ras is built like an ox, but he's still not even completely filled out yet, which is kind of scary"...

7 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

2nd Bold:  Rasmussen has historically been a more prolific goal scorer than Veleno. He's actually a MUCH more prolific goal scorer.  Rasmussen scored 81 goals in 161 games in juniors compared to 90 goals in 230 games for Veleno.  So it's not just his current stint in the AHL which could lead someone to believe he'll be the better overall player. 

LOL you would use goals, as opposed to points (in a poor attempt) to prove your point... If Rasmussen is a MUCH more prolific goal scorer, then Veleno is a MUCH much more prolific set up man...

You also have to consider that Veleno started juniors a year before Rasmussen due to his exceptional status. Remove that season where he only put up 13 goals in 62 games as a 15 year old, and the numbers are much closer. Veleno scored 77 goals in 168 games and Rasmussen scored 81 goals in 161 games at the same age. Also, add the fact that Rasmussen was a man amongst boys in juniors, and those numbers may even be more skewed, in regards to where he might project as an NHLer.

I'm not trying to put down Rasmussen. I think (hope) he will be a very good player for us. It's just absurd to me that people think he's a much better prospect than Veleno... I don't see it.

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not trying to put down Rasmussen. I think (hope) he will be a very good player for us. It's just absurd to me that people think he's a much better prospect than Veleno... I don't see it.

Not "much" better. Just better. 

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

"wasn't and won't be *as much* the case when he plays in the NHL, as opposed to the AHL"... Sorry, I left out two words... I obviously think he's going to have a size advantage. I also said this "Ras is built like an ox, but he's still not even completely filled out yet, which is kind of scary"...

LOL you would use goals, as opposed to points (in a poor attempt) to prove your point... If Rasmussen is a MUCH more prolific goal scorer, then Veleno is a MUCH much more prolific set up man...

You also have to consider that Veleno started juniors a year before Rasmussen due to his exceptional status. Remove that season where he only put up 13 goals in 62 games as a 15 year old, and the numbers are much closer. Veleno scored 77 goals in 168 games and Rasmussen scored 81 goals in 161 games at the same age. Also, add the fact that Rasmussen was a man amongst boys in juniors, and those numbers may even be more skewed, in regards to where he might project as an NHLer.

I agree, Veleno is a way better passer.  You asked what, aside from their current AHL stats, might lead someone to believe that Rasmussen will be better one day. I'm simply saying that while Veleno is faster and a better passer, Rasmussen has historically been a better scorer and will have a size and strength advantage over (basically) everyone he ever plays against.  Those are valid reasons to think he might be better than Veleno. 

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Not "much" better. Just better. 

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I agree, Veleno is a way better passer.  You asked what, aside from their current AHL stats, might lead someone to believe that Rasmussen will be better one day. I'm simply saying that while Veleno is faster and a better passer, Rasmussen has historically been a better scorer and will have a size and strength advantage over (basically) everyone he ever plays against.  Those are valid reasons to think he might be better than Veleno. 

Fair enough.

I disagree, but we'll have to wait and see. Regardless, I hope both end up being great middle six centers for us for the next 10+ seasons...

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

LOL Not even close... You want to see a real look alike?...

2111060560_AAQB.jpg.3c7731b652be1b9e3ec7e28fabdf7f29.jpg

We need to draft Athanasiou's brother...

His not funny 31 year old brother?

3 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

well hello my face blind friend

OH LIKE YOU CAN DO ANY BETTER IM SICK OF PPL ON THIS WEBSITE SIGNALING ME OUT AND PICKING ON MEALL THE TIME

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

3e9g69.jpg

IDK, I don't see it

Who is Lukashenko? Russias VP?

Respect my right as an American to only know like 5 world leaders besides my own

President of Belarus. 

I don’t think I could really do any better either. Shameful. 

On 10/24/2019 at 8:36 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

LSD night at the LCA according to me:

Chillin in my seat enjoying the music and lights from the jumbotron
Players on the ice all swirling together
Fans cheering and yelling vibrates my entire soul
Have Little Caesars
Cheese is meltier than my face
Finish slice
Life literally ruined because no more delicious pizza slice
Look down at pizza box
I only ate the first slice, THERE'S A WHOLE PIZZA LEFT
Literally cry from relief and happiness
Red Wings win by 8 goals

LSD night at the LCA according to sober friend:

Pointing cell phone at jumbotron trying to change the channel like a TV remote for the entire 1st period
Yelling and screaming at random points in the game and during dead time upsetting everyone in our section
Rubbing hot super slice on my face
Throw mangled super slice on the ice like its an octopus yelling THERE'S A WHOLE PIZZA LEFT
There isn't
Crying from trying to eat my own now sauce covered hands
Red Wings lose by 5 goals

Just wanted to mention for the game against Buffalo tonight... Joe Rogan is performing at the Fox tonight as well so this could actually be the LSD/DMT night lol should be a few trippers out n about

37 minutes ago, mackel said:

Does anyone know why on earth Helm is on the top line?

Spread out the limited talent we have...

Give Athanasiou someone to play with...

Helm has the 2nd most goals on the team and has been playing really well...