• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

11/4 Shouting Fire in a Half-Empty Theater GDT - Predators @ Red Wings - 7:30 PM EST

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I think we're witnessing this team for the first time without a Dad. Kronwall was old and slow, but at least he was a solid step-dad since Z left and could keep the household running. Now we're in a home alone type situation. Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Hronek are providing for themselves but the rest of the team is lost. It's telling, and probably a good thing, Larkin hasn't been named captain yet.

We still have Howard, he was around in the late 2000's, came up full time in 2010. Errorsson and Helm were on the '08 Cup team, been in Detroit since. Bit expecting them to lead like Z or Kronwall isn't going to happen. 

15 hours ago, gcom007 said:

Osgood trying not to laugh at Mick’s pseudo-optimism. Can barely hold it together. It’s like he wants to say, “Mick, it’s ******* embarrassing.”

Edit: do we have to have profanity bleeped in a season like this? It’s painful. We need all our angry words. 

Ozzie might get get fed up enough one night that he slams down his headset and gets his gear. lol

2 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

But on the whole Puljujarvi thing its a Euro Hockey tourney so any of our picks playing in it? That would make sense why Stevie would be there

Could be. Admittedly, I don't know anything about the tourney, so your guess is as good as mine.

I just want to point out to those who said/say in the off-season nO FrEeAGeNtS lEt dA KEeDz pLaY, imagine this team without Nemeth + Filppula + Erne + Biega + Perlini right now. Not only would we still be a raging dumpster fire, we'd be destroying the confidence of very young prospects as well. Better to let stop gaps players endure this pain. This is why stop gaps are necessary.

I'm inclined to agree, though I suppose one could make the counterargument that the veterans are the very reason why we're sucking as hard as we are.

I fully expect and demand my monthly Yzerman trade. It's the only thing distracting me from the travesty of Seider not being on this roster.

Don't look now but Seider is one of the few bright spots on an otherwise largely underachieving Griffins team. 11 games played, 6 assists, +1 rating. I think we'll be seeing him sooner rather than later. Maybe not this season, but even if it's halfway through next season, that's an insanely fast trajectory by Red Wings defense prospect standards. I'm really hoping he's That Defenseman we've been pining for ever since Rafalski retired.

As for Yzerman trades, I'll be really surprised if we don't get several more between now and July 1st. The players have given him a very clear picture of what he has in each of them and there's a wealth of blah prospects in the pipeline. Things could get interesting.

Oh dang I had heard through the grapevine Holland was headed to Finland, but didn't know about Stevie.

A few months ago I woulda scoffed at trading for poolparty. Right now I really dont care. Do AA for pulju straight up, f*** it.

Athanasiou + Hirose for Puljujarvi + EDM's 2020 1st (no lotto protection). Get that 1st before the Oilers tumble down the standings, as is their wont.

Edited by Dabura

Speaking of trades, I feel Haydn Fleury is a guy we should be looking at. 23-year-old 6'3 left-shooting defenseman who skates really well. Former 1st-round pick. Doesn't have a ton of scoring ability, but in theory he could turn into a steady DeKeyser type on the second or third pairing.

Analysis: The Case for Haydn Fleury [Puck Drop]

I’ll be the first to admit that Haydn Fleury hasn’t had the best NHL career – just look at his Elite Prospects page. The twenty-one year old defenseman had consistent ice time in his first professional year, but never managed to get comfortable, only acquiring 7 points in 64 games. His second year he was battling concussions and healthy scratches, only managing to lace-up for 20 games. The former first round pick had several defensive partners over the course of the season, Justin Faulk, Trevor van Riemsdyk, and Roland McKeown among them, and was often traded out for players like Klas Dahlbeck or Jake Bean. My argument for him staying on the team consists of a few points, so let’s get into it.

1. No Good Match
For the majority of the games he played in past seasons Fleury was paired with Justin Faulk on the blue line. The two’s playing styles obviously didn’t mesh, but there were apparently no other options; Faulk-Hanifin would have been a nightmare and Slavin-Pesce is all but set in stone, so the two were pushed together. Now that Faulk is out of the picture and Fleury has been playing with the likes of Joel Edmundson and Jake Gardiner he’s been playing a much more consistent game.

2. Offside Woes
Fleury has never played on his correct side in the NHL. He has always been placed on his right side, making for a comfortable shift in playing style. Getting used to this new side would take time and practice, something that you don’t often get when you’re a healthy scratch for multiple games in a row. When he gets the chance to play his correct side, you see an immediate shift. He’s more confident, more physical, and more willing to shoot. He even got his first NHL goal while playing his correct side.

4 hours ago, marcaractac said:

This losing has gone on long enough now that it certainly feels like Yzerman is planning on leaving things as is. Gotta agree with pretty well everything said here. Even the players have been sticking up for Blash in interviews. The veterans on this team have been awful. Without leadership, this is what happens. disney.com is all we have left for veteran leadership that can contribute. 

If there was any urgency to fix this right now, we'd probably see moves like a Seider call up. Instead, Hicketts gets the call, which is the right move as Stevie is clearly using this season to see what we have. Got to imagine we start seeing bigger changes this summer by trimming lots dead weight and bringing in a reliable vet or two. It is then we'll revert back to being a competitive bad team on the right track instead of an awful one. 

It's not all about the losing for me. It's one thing to lose, most knew that this roster was a bottom 5 roster. The problem is the way we are losing. 5-6 goals a game against almost every game we appear to lose is shameful. Losing isn't just losing, sometimes the way we lose is really the problem. That winning culture the Red Wings want to persevered is long gone if we keep dropping games at 1-5. This is my biggest issue right now. I expect to lose most games, I don't expect to want them lose 1-5 almost every other night.

4 minutes ago, xault said:

It's not all about the losing for me. It's one thing to lose, most knew that this roster was a bottom 5 roster. The problem is the way we are losing. 5-6 goals a game against almost every game we appear to lose is shameful. Losing isn't just losing, sometimes the way we lose is really the problem. That winning culture the Red Wings want to persevered is long gone if we keep dropping games at 1-5. This is my biggest issue right now. I expect to lose most games, I don't expect to want them lose 1-5 almost every other night.

Agreed. The team is possibly in danger of slipping into a very toxic "new normal" swamp of awfulness. This is my one serious concern.

Things will probably sort themselves out. We'll probably look back on this and conclude that it had to be this way. AA will probably start scoring at a decent clip and that alone will probably help make games closer and give us a little more mojo.

But in the here and now, this really sucks and I really hope Yzerman handles it the right way (whatever that may be).

13 minutes ago, xault said:

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Agreed. The team is possibly in danger of slipping into a very toxic "new normal" swamp of awfulness. This is my one serious concern.

Things will probably sort themselves out. We'll probably look back on this and conclude that it had to be this way. AA will probably start scoring at a decent clip and that alone will probably help make games closer and give us a little more mojo.

But in the here and now, this really sucks and I really hope Yzerman handles it the right way (whatever that may be).

Yeah I preached "maintaining the culture" for a while now

That maintaining all goes down the crapper if the season continues like this. May as well have scorched the earth if this was gonna be the result anyway.

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

I'm inclined to agree, though I suppose one could make the counterargument that the veterans are the very reason why we're sucking as hard as we are.

Don't look now but Seider is one of the few bright spots on an otherwise largely underachieving Griffins team. 11 games played, 6 assists, +1 rating. I think we'll be seeing him sooner rather than later. Maybe not this season, but even if it's halfway through next season, that's an insanely fast trajectory by Red Wings defense prospect standards. I'm really hoping he's That Defenseman we've been pining for ever since Rafalski retired.

As for Yzerman trades, I'll be really surprised if we don't get several more between now and July 1st. The players have given him a very clear picture of what he has in each of them and there's a wealth of blah prospects in the pipeline. Things could get interesting.

Athanasiou + Hirose for Puljujarvi + EDM's 2020 1st (no lotto protection). Get that 1st before the Oilers tumble down the standings, as is their wont.

Isnt Seider more like a Chris Chelios than a Brian Rafalski?

I think it would take more to make that trade. I don't think Holland trades a first, and even if AA is worth that ( not right now) Hirose won't get you Pulu.

57 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Speaking of trades, I feel Haydn Fleury is a guy we should be looking at. 23-year-old 6'3 left-shooting defenseman who skates really well. Former 1st-round pick. Doesn't have a ton of scoring ability, but in theory he could turn into a steady DeKeyser type on the second or third pairing.

Analysis: The Case for Haydn Fleury [Puck Drop]

https://www.canescountry.com/2019/9/25/20882432/carolina-hurricanes-2019-20-season-preview-defense-slavin-pesce-hamilton-gardiner-edmundson-fleury

Seems like a bust.

3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I think it would take more to make that trade. I don't think Holland trades a first, and even if AA is worth that ( not right now) Hirose won't get you Pulu.

I see Seider as like a Chelios or a Pronger, yeah. Big strong workhorse Dman who's going to amass a lot of points almost solely due to the fact that he's always on the ice eating huge minutes.

He's gonna Raffi's positional smarts, but not Raffi's offensive acumen. The later is Hronek's job going forward.

Just now, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You see a bust, Yzerman sees a cheap project

5 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Kinda. Ideally, he's something like Pietrangelo. I think people are sleeping on his scoring upside.

Prob'ly. I was half-joking, but, honestly, I think AA might actually be more valuable to the Oilers than he is to us. They need scoring depth almost as badly as we do.

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You see a bust, Yzerman sees a cheap project

What CRL said. Based on Bowey and Erne and Perlini (all former 1st-rounders, all roughly same age, all cheap), and based on what Yzerman seems to value in defensemen, Fleury seems like a no-brainer target. In theory.

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

What CRL said. Based on Bowey and Erne and Perlini (all former 1st-rounders, all roughly same age, all cheap), and based on what Yzerman seems to value in defensemen, Fleury seems like a no-brainer target. In theory.

It is refreshing having Yzerman. My attitude completely changed about him after the Biega and Perlini trades. Whereas Holland was "wait and see" ad nauseam, Yzerman has quickly shown he's willing to address needs at the drop of a hat. This is not "no different then the hollopllan" as I preached earllier this summer. Yzerman is dfferent. He's been very assertive, which is not the normal around here. Last time Holland did a Biega type deal was Kent Huskins back in 2012 if I remember correctly.

I'm honestly hoping he gets wild with trades around Jan and Feb. What'd we have to lose...

13 hours ago, xault said:

I agree that the way we are loosing is alarming. But it's also not something that can be fixed with a new coach. We need roster changes in the worst way, and that will take time. While the kids are progressing, the vets are become older and increasingly more useless.