• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

12/12 ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ GDT - Jets @ Red Wings - 7:30 PM ET

Rate this topic

14 minutes ago, P.V.D. said:

Hey CRL! P.V.D. back from the dead - locked myself out of my previous account. Still lurk around here and as a Montrealer and a Cancer survivor, I felt I had to kind of respond to this.

It seems you've been reading some internet B.S. right there. The P.K. donation was always stated to be "a combination of a personal donation from Subban — in the seven-figure range — as well as funds from the P.K. Subban Foundation and fundraising activities using his name and brand over the next seven years." Quote from an original 2015 article: https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/p-k-subban-makes-significant-donation-to-childrens-hospital

Seems maybe some people just don't read/listen beyond the headline and when they found out about the fundraising aspect they blame Subban for their own ignorance???

And I don't see where they'd be getting the part about only 20% raised. Since you list Global News, they said in Aug he'd raised 4 milliion (obviously 40%)

https://globalnews.ca/video/5803005/the-p-k-subban-foundation-has-raised-4-million-of-its-10-million-goal

Raising 6 million in the next 3 years does seem like a lot given how much they've brought in per year, but who knows...fundraising does generally go up when the deadline comes near. Maybe he makes up the remainder himself, if it's not too large. Or maybe he extends the deadline. Or maybe he falls short of the goal - not the worst thing in the world, after all he's already one of the most charitable athletes ever. The trade definitely made the goal more difficult for him to fundraise. Good on him to not change the commitment, though.

What Subban's done for the hospital/kids is a great thing and I don't get why/how some people turned it against him. Misplaced cynicism it seems. He comes back for fundraising events every now and then. when he was with the Habs he also spent time with the kids. (p.s. I met Koivu during my treatments, it really does mean a lot for people give their time like that, both since it shows they care, and also gives media exposure to the cause)

He also does events for sick kids in Nashville:

You can see other events on the "P.K. gives back" playlist on his Youtube

Anyway, Go Wings!!! Still with ya through the dark days even though I don't post here, haha

Howdy PVD!

Thanks for taking the time to make a new account just to respond lol. I definitely was digging for info on this in some weird places. I enjoy conspiracy stuff from time to time, and was hoping someone could either confirm or deny my findings.

I think some people, including myself, just read the headlines like he was writing a check for $10 mil and that was that.

I think the 20% I got was from a Global News article I found from 2016... so yeah ur article is much fresher. 20% bump over the last 3 years.

I wouldn't say it's misplaced cynicism (maybe for some it is) but for me it's just trying to find reasons to explain the unexplainable... like most conspiracy theories. Considering his commitment to the Montreal community the trade is still to this day so shocking and hard to explain. I bet he did write it off his taxes though ;)

Believe it or not, I am a pediatric cancer survivor myself. The good folks at Motts Childrens Hospital set me straight a long time ago. I credit the chemo for frying my brain and giving me a weird ass personality. No hockey players ever came to visit me, but I did get a visit from the University of Michigan Women's Softball team... College babes > Saku Koivu, sorry to make you jealous bud.

42 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I wouldn't say it's misplaced cynicism (maybe for some it is) but for me it's just trying to find reasons to explain the unexplainable... like most conspiracy theories. Considering his commitment to the Montreal community the trade is still to this day so shocking and hard to explain. I bet he did write it off his taxes though ;)

Believe it or not, I am a pediatric cancer survivor myself. The good folks at Motts Childrens Hospital set me straight a long time ago. I credit the chemo for frying my brain and giving me a weird ass personality. No hockey players ever came to visit me, but I did get a visit from the University of Michigan Women's Softball team... College babes > Saku Koivu, sorry to make you jealous bud.

Haha, can't argue that one.

Think I had some brain fry as well - with the radiation I was hoping for some super powers, but once again movies lie to us.

Hope it didn't seem like I was attacking you - I just get moved to defend him and his foundation cause it's doing some good.

Edited by P.V.D.

Just now, P.V.D. said:

Haha, can't argue that one.

Think I had some brain fry as well - with the radiation I was hoping for some super powers, but once again movies lie to us.

Hope it didn't like I was attacking you - I just get moved to defend him and his foundation cause it's doing some good.

No no, no worries. Just glad to see you back on the board.

Habs fans must be feeling pretty good about that whole Weber/Subban swap out there in MTL right now, no?

35 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No no, no worries. Just glad to see you back on the board.

Habs fans must be feeling pretty good about that whole Weber/Subban swap out there in MTL right now, no?

I thought my one friend was going to have a rage heart attack when Weber was seemingly permanently injured and Subban was in the finals, but he does prefer Weber now. No one I know loves it - Weber does have 7 years left on his contract and i think subban's is done in a couple years.

Prediction: goals for Fabbri, Bert and too many Jets

edit: oops aa injured

Edited by P.V.D.

dead thread.  I am not totally encouraged by the first few minutes here, where the Wings actually were able to control the puck (at least as well as they ever do).  They did that the last game for the first ten minutes, too.  Then you know what happened....

17 minutes ago, P.V.D. said:

I thought my one friend was going to have a rage heart attack when Weber was seemingly permanently injured and Subban was in the finals, but he does prefer Weber now. No one I know loves it - Weber does have 7 years left on his contract and i think subban's is done in a couple years.

Prediction: goals for Fabbri, Bert and too many Jets

edit: oops aa injured

My gut reaction is trading the hometown superstar is moronic

My emotionless side says I prefer Weber to Subban

My analytical side says Webers contract sucks

Anyway I think Weber will stand the test of time and still be valuable at that cap hit at 40, especially with the cap going up over time. Have to remember that Bergy is a time traveler and knew Galchenyuk, Subban, and Patches would suck b4 anyone else did. Always trust large armed men.

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

I forgot what having a lead felt like. Good thing Helm was promoted to the second line instead of Perlini :ninja:

Don't get used to it.  ;)  At least we won't get shut out in this game.  I take what I can get nowadays.