• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Everyplace I read it says NMC has to be protected. Nowhere have I seen that modified NMC's don't have to be. I would just like to know what the rule is and why Nielsen's wouldn't apply if it really doesn't.

Only a full NMC is forced protection. Anything less then that does not have to be protected. That's how it was with the Vegas draft. Nielsen had a full NMC at that time. Now he has a modified no trade clause only. 

• Either include a list of seven forwards, three defensemen, and one goaltender OR eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender
  • Players with a "No Movement" clause must be protected if the player does not waive the clause
  • First and second-year professional players and unsigned draft picks are not eligible for the expansion draft and won't need to be protected
  • All other players are eligible for the Expansion Draft

Nielsen is on a modified NTC where he has to submit a list of ten teams he's not willing to play for. Therefore he falls under "All other players are eligible for the Expansion Draft."

Ok, for my protection list:

Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Fabbri, Rasmussen, Tmishov (re-signed at 3 years) and one of Svech or Smith (whichever one is more valuable to my team)

Cholowski, Lindstrom, Hronek

-Goalie (whoever we have signed that would need to be protected.)

- peronally I would keep Smith because we have a good amount of skilled players like Svech, Smith has that bottom 6 style we can use (especially if we're able to use a buyout on Abby) Of course if we make any TDL deals that may include players, this could change a bit. I left Dekeyser unprotected but maybe he'll make a nice comeback this season and he'll earn a protect, plus, as of now, we don't have any D men that we maybe sign this year (UFA) that would keep him unprotected or any of the other three. Again, trades and or UFA signings could change this. Maybe we DO sign someone like Krug and he obviously would take one of the protects. I could see Protecting him, Dekeyser and Hronek then, risking one of the others, but then again we can only lose one player, so maybe a forward looks more enticing. 

Looking at Columbus' goalie situation... Korpisalo and Elvis are both 26 and both seem like starter material...

I'd love to see us add one of those guys... mind you I don't know if Columbus would want to part with either since they are both inexpensive.  Next year they both get raises and total 6.8M

going back to my idea of Detroit acquiring Ben Bishop. Watching these playoffs thus far, it looks like Khudobin has been their guy. They do have $13M in cap space next season, but if they convinced Bishop to waive his NMC to come play for Yzerman for the next three years, that would give them roughly $20M in space to upgrade their team. They could throw HUGE money at Taylor Hall or Torey Krug if they wanted to...or anyone else they may be interested in.

to DET : Ben Bishop (no salary retained,) 2020 1st round pick

to DAL : 2020 2nd round pick (Washington) maybe a middling prospect. (Hirose or Turgeon maybe)

again, this would solidify our G position for next year and a bit beyond until we can develop one. Plus, as I eluded to earlier, right now we don't have a G in the system that will require protection from Seattle except Fulcher. Per rules a G has to be protected, Bishop could be that G. I mean if we go with someone else for a year, then we have to protect Fulcher because of the rules, fine, but Bishop would be an upgrade to our G, cost far less than trying to sign Markstrom, Holtby or Lehner. We'd have a pretty good duo of Bishop and Bernier for a year. Ton's better than having Howard last season...

ok, just noticed that Jake Oettinger is their back up today...is Bishop injured, or has he opted out?

Edited by LeftWinger

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

going back to my idea of Detroit acquiring Ben Bishop. Watching these playoffs thus far, it looks like Khudobin has been their guy. They do have $13M in cap space next season, but if they convinced Bishop to waive his NMC to come play for Yzerman for the next three years, that would give them roughly $20M in space to upgrade their team. They could throw HUGE money at Taylor Hall or Torey Krug if they wanted to...or anyone else they may be interested in.

to DET : Ben Bishop (no salary retained,) 2020 1st round pick

to DAL : 2020 2nd round pick (Washington) maybe a middling prospect. (Hirose or Turgeon maybe)

again, this would solidify our G position for next year and a bit beyond until we can develop one. Plus, as I eluded to earlier, right now we don't have a G in the system that will require protection from Seattle except Fulcher. Per rules a G has to be protected, Bishop could be that G. I mean if we go with someone else for a year, then we have to protect Fulcher because of the rules, fine, but Bishop would be an upgrade to our G, cost far less than trying to sign Markstrom, Holtby or Lehner. We'd have a pretty good duo of Bishop and Bernier for a year. Ton's better than having Howard last season...

Make it a 3rd and Turgeon and I'm in...

5 minutes ago, mackel said:

Make it a 3rd and Turgeon and I'm in...

Washington 2nd is #54. Our two 3rd's are #63 and #65, that is mostly why I said a 2nd because it may look a little better on paper. But if they's take one of the 3rd's, that's cool too. We could always grab a 2nd from Arizona as compensation for taking on Derek Stepan's contract. Then we could just throw then a 5th or 6th.

to DET : Derek Stepan (no salary retained) 2020 2nd round pick (#49)

to ARZ : 5th round pick (#125) plus cap space to attempt to sign Hall or another UFA

to DET : Ben Bishop (no salary retained) 2020 1st round pick (#24 (for now))

to DAL : 2020 2nd round pick (Washington #54) Turgeon plus cap space to "Go For It!"

...even taking on the $11M from these two still gives us plenty of money to re-sign our RFA's, with Z's LTIR and if we can compliance buyout a player...of course if they allow a compliance buyout, then that could stop these teams from trading their picks! :lol:

Edited by LeftWinger

Honestly, we really don't need to use any buyouts or Z's LTIR if we did something like this. The $8.8M in cap space is USING Z's LTIR, so that just means we could sign up Mantha, Betuzzi, Fabbri or Timashov for a few dollars more if we had to. Plus we'd have the TWO 1st's and THREE 2nd's again. Dunno, just throwing some stuff out there to get picks and make our team a little better for next season.

...I know there are other RFA's that remain unsigned (Bowey, Hirose, Ehn, Erne and Perlini) but I would just qualify them and see if they can make the team. If not, they get waived to GR or if someone scoops them up.

Edited by LeftWinger

18 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Honestly, we really don't need to use any buyouts or Z's LTIR if we did something like this. The $8.8M in cap space is USING Z's LTIR, so that just means we could sign up Mantha, Betuzzi, Fabbri or Timashov for a few dollars more if we had to. Plus we'd have the TWO 1st's and THREE 2nd's again. Dunno, just throwing some stuff out there to get picks and make our team a little better for next season.

1232.thumb.JPG.4c5e5cabf65e2a9a1732377b9d95b432.JPG

...I know there are other RFA's that remain unsigned (Bowey, Hirose, Ehn, Erne and Perlini) but I would just qualify them and see if they can make the team. If not, they get waived to GR or if someone scoops them up.

Woof. Aren't Stepan, Gagner, Filppula, and Neilsen all basically the same guy at different stages of decline? Screw that, I'm all set on signing anyone from the "guys that were sorta good 8 years ago" crowd.

5 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Woof. Aren't Stepan, Gagner, Filppula, and Neilsen all basically the same guy at different stages of decline? Screw that, I'm all set on signing anyone from the "guys that were sorta good 8 years ago" crowd.

Stepan is to acquire a draft pick along with him. All four could possibly be TDL material for a cup team looking for depth.

Edited by LeftWinger

As for Svech, I think he is at a stage in his career where he really needs to focus on being a great role player. I think with some adjustments to his game he can become a Dan Cleary type of player. If he is counting only on his scoring to stay in the lineup, he won't make it. 

45 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

As for Svech, I think he is at a stage in his career where he really needs to focus on being a great role player. I think with some adjustments to his game he can become a Dan Cleary type of player. If he is counting only on his scoring to stay in the lineup, he won't make it. 

Sad to read, but true nontheless.

3 hours ago, marcaractac said:

I remember when he was our Zadina before we had Zadina and now Zadina may not be Zadina.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I remember when he was our Zadina before we had Zadina and now Zadina may not be Zadina.

Ah, the good ol' days of always drafting in the latter part of the 1st round (if we didn't trade our 1st), and hoping one of those players would be our Pastrnak...

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Ah, the good ol' days of always drafting in the latter part of the 1st round (if we didn't trade our 1st), and hoping one of those players would be our Pastrnak...

Hey. We got our Mantha.

I remember all of the enthusiasm in here that he would be a 2nd line scoring winger. Now 3rd liner might be our best hope.

Hey. We got our Mantha.

Not quite Pastrnak, but I'll take Mantha at 20 any day.

I remember all of the enthusiasm in here that he would be a 2nd line scoring winger. Now 3rd liner might be our best hope.

I assume you're back to talking about Svech here? If so, I agree. I still think he could be a solid 3rd line winger, if he can stay healthy.

We need health in Mantha and Svechnikov...

19 hours ago, TLGTrico said:

Sad to read, but true nontheless.

Plenty of players projected to be scorers have changed their game to become role players and carved out very nice, long careers for themselves. Hopefully he can find that footing in Detroit before being let go for nothing. 

49 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Plenty of players projected to be scorers have changed their game to become role players and carved out very nice, long careers for themselves. Hopefully he can find that footing in Detroit before being let go for nothing. 

I don't really think Svechnikov should have to change his game much though, unless he's asked to play a 4th line checking role (which would he dumb). Players should still be able to provide offense from the 3rd line. The issue may be, finding him suitable linemates to play with on the 3rd line...

19 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't really think Svechnikov should have to change his game much though, unless he's asked to play a 4th line checking role (which would he dumb). Players should still be able to provide offense from the 3rd line. The issue may be, finding him suitable linemates to play with on the 3rd line...

I just don't think he can score enough at the NHL level right now to justify being that kind of player. He needs to evolve. Even by adjusting his game, the scoring touch can still find its way down the road. But if he wants a lengthy NHL career? He got to change things up. If he is counting on scoring to keep him in the league, he'll be in the KHL in no time. 

On 8/16/2020 at 5:38 PM, LeftWinger said:

to DET : Ben Bishop (no salary retained) 2020 1st round pick (#24 (for now))

to DAL : 2020 2nd round pick (Washington #54) Turgeon plus cap space to "Go For It!"

Make it so number one.   (Picard....   n/m)

18 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Fabbri is better than Zadina
Timashov is better than Svechnikov

All will be revealed in time

I think Yzerman should package those two together for a top 10 pick. I was excited when Zadina dropped, but after his bold statements about filling their nets, then he failed to even fill AHL nets, I have my doubts. Trade these two, get Askarov with the pick...or take FWD at 4, D with the pick from these two, G with the Dallas pick (I mentioned above.)

Edited by LeftWinger

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I think Yzerman should package those two together for a top 10 pick. I was excited when Zadina dropped, but after his bold statements about filling their nets, then he failed to even fill AHL nets, I have my doubts. Trade these two, get Askarov with the pick...or take FWD at 4, D at 6-10. 

Ppl would flip out at first. But moving 2 average wingers for an elite goalie who will prolly spend his whole career here would be HUGE. I'm on board. 

I don't like Robby Fabbri. There, I said it. I'm not mad that Yzerman acquired him or anything, obviously he's a pretty good player. But he's a huge puss, isn't fast, and doesn't shoot much. I would have looked to move him at the deadline when his value was high.

Edited by kipwinger

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Ppl would flip out at first. But moving 2 average wingers for an elite goalie who will prolly spend his whole career here would be HUGE. I'm on board. 

My Offseason Plan:

TRADES:

To CBJ: Zadina, Fabbri,

To Detroit: Elvis Merzlikins, Josh Anderson

To: Montreal: Mantha

To Detroit: Domi, Romanov

Free Agents:

Taylor Hall: 7 years x 9 million AAV (Heavy Bonuses)

Evgenii Dadonov: 5 years x 6 million

Draft:

Marco Rossi

Lineup:

Anderson-Larkin-Hall

Bert-Rossi-Dadonov

Domi-Rasmussen-Svech

Helm-Glendening-Nielsen

Abby-Veleno

Dekeyser-Hronek

Romanov-Seider

Nemeth-Bowey

Cholo

Merzlikins

Bernier

Edited by kipwinger

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I don't like Robby Fabbri. There, I said it. I'm not mad that Yzerman acquired him or anything, obviously he's a pretty good player. But he's a huge puss, isn't fast, and doesn't shoot much. I would have looked to move him at the deadline when his value was high.

Woulda been fine with a flip TBH. Whole team should be gutted for parts.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

My Offseason Plan:

TRADES:

To CBJ: Zadina, Fabbri,

To Detroit: Elvis Merzlikins, Josh Anderson

To: Montreal: Mantha

To Detroit: Domi, Romanov

Free Agents:

Taylor Hall: 7 years x 9 million AAV (Heavy Bonuses)

Evgenii Dadonov: 5 years x 6 million

Draft:

Marco Rossi

Lineup:

Anderson-Larkin-Hall

Bert-Rossi-Dadonov

Domi-Rasmussen-Svech

Helm-Glendening-Nielsen

Abby-Veleno

Dekeyser-Hronek

Romanov-Seider

Nemeth-Bowey