• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

28 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Gagner signed to a one year deal. Don't know the deets yet.

Love it.

22 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

850k per Capfriendly

Great contract.

13 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Sweet. Another year of rock bottom. Can't wait.

Because we signed Gagner to close to league minimum?

48 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

$850,000 per Capfriendly.

33 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Sweet. Another year of rock bottom. Can't wait.

Did you expect anything different.

Edited by diehardredwingsfan58

51 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I was advocating for this since he was acquired. 1 year at basically league minimum for a guy who will probably be more effective as a middle 6 center than Filppula or Nielsen have been.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

46 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Do you guys think there is any chance at all that we could get rid of Nielsen or Filppula this offseason?

Edit: 850k per Capfriendly

If there is a compliance buyout it could be Nielsen. Filppula only has one year left. He could be bought out with a small cap hit for 2 years.

19 minutes ago, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

$850,000 per Capfriendly.

Did you expect anything different.

I hoped, rather than expected. Getting a little sick of watching trash. I usually don't get too wrapped up in the record. I find rebuilding a lot more fun than those 2011-2015 teams that were gradually declining with the same s***ting lineups. But it's hard to get excited about a season when you know, before the season even starts, that they already intend to tank.

Especially this season because it feels like FOREVER since I've seen the team play, and now on top of it when I finally do see them I know in advance that 2/3 of the roster will be old, mediocre, puds.

"Hey Red Wings fans, you excited about a new season?". Well let us throw cold water on that by reminding you that any given night you're going to see Helm, Abby, Nielsen, Filppula, Gagner, Glendening, Dekeyser, and Nemeth. Boy howdy!

It's miserable that the most exciting thing to happen to his team in two years is finding out that Robby Fabbri doesn't absolutely suck. Yippy.

Edit: On top of that we're about to draft Cole Perfetti, who is about 4 years away from hitting puberty, so god only knows when/if he'll be an exciting new part of the Red Wings roster.

Edited by kipwinger

16 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

So writing off Zadina after one season=bad

Writing off Howard after one season=good

And yes. I would rather have 1 year of Jimmy at 3 mil than 4 years of Markstrom at 24 mil.

Except Zadina's  1/3 of one season was actually good. Your comparison forgets that there is no actual legit reason to write off Zadina at all in the first place. 

49 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I hoped, rather than expected. Getting a little sick of watching trash. I usually don't get too wrapped up in the record. I find rebuilding a lot more fun than those 2011-2015 teams that were gradually declining with the same s***ting lineups. But it's hard to get excited about a season when you know, before the season even starts, that they already intend to tank.

Especially this season because it feels like FOREVER since I've seen the team play, and now on top of it when I finally do see them I know in advance that 2/3 of the roster will be old, mediocre, puds.

"Hey Red Wings fans, you excited about a new season?". Well let us throw cold water on that by reminding you that any given night you're going to see Helm, Abby, Nielsen, Filppula, Gagner, Glendening, Dekeyser, and Nemeth. Boy howdy!

It's miserable that the most exciting thing to happen to his team in two years is finding out that Robby Fabbri doesn't absolutely suck. Yippy.

Edit: On top of that we're about to draft Cole Perfetti, who is about 4 years away from hitting puberty, so god only knows when/if he'll be an exciting new part of the Red Wings roster.

Well, that's certainly one way to look at it. 

Am I the only one that is happy about the Gagner deal? With $34M in cap space, $40M if you count Z's LTIR (if needed) we got a Center (who is arguably better than Filppula and Nielsen) for $850k. We still have room to acquire one or two huge salary dumps and still have the necessary cap space to re-sign Bertuzzi and Mantha....AND STILL have the necessary cap space to dive in to the UFA frenzy.

Turner Elson just re-signed as well for $725k, obviously minor league signing, but it's nice to see Yzerman starting the process! Did anyone (on ay team) get bought out yet?

Edited by LeftWinger

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I agree with most of this... but I think Nemeth and Ganger have value to us on the roster and at the trade deadline.

I'm really not into Perfetti at 4... to me he seems like a player you take if you moved way up in the draft.  You've got a decent team that can afford to wait those 4 years.  I also think he has that boom or bust thing going. 

here are the teams that will (should) be looking to dump large salaries (along with prospects/picks) in order to attempt to make a pitch for that missing piece or two to get them to glory...or just to be under the cap in some team's cases...

I see Yzerman doing some deal(s) with Edmonton and or Tampa. Maybe Dallas too...

Edited by LeftWinger

buyout candidate's per Sportsnet:

interesting is the tidbit about Helm. I would think that before Helm gets bought out, he has a bit of trade value left in him. I think i would prefer buying out Nielsen or Filppula before Abby, especially since the re-signing of Gagner. Not that Abby is better than those, but it would be less term. Abby would be 6 years, Nielsen 4 and Filppula 2.

Edited by LeftWinger

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Except Zadina's  1/3 of one season was actually good. Your comparison forgets that there is no actual legit reason to write off Zadina at all in the first place. 

Well, that's certainly one way to look at it. 

My point was that Howard has been a better goalie over his career than Markstrom and to write him off after this last season in favor of Markstrom is as wrong as writing off Zadina.

6 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Capture.JPG.065f0483ca07dab47f1fc23ff7535b03.JPG

interesting is the tidbit about Helm. I would think that before Helm gets bought out, he has a bit of trade value left in him. I think i would prefer buying out Nielsen or Filppula before Abby, especially since the re-signing of Gagner. Not that Abby is better than those, but it would be less term. Abby would be 6 years, Nielsen 4 and Filppula 2.

Why buying out any of them, when you can afford to put them in your farm team to help develop your youngsters, like Dan cleary did.

re: Howard...I just think he is done in Detroit and wants a chance to win, even if it is as a backup. I can see Edmonton giving him a call, or even Vegas depending on what they do with MAF. Dallas could be interesting as well if Khudobin walks or if they deal Bishop in a salary dump.  I just think that Yzerman needs to sign someone that is going to push Bernier for the starting job and for him to be better. When comparing Howard and Markstrom, even though Howard has had better numbers over their career's (until recently) Markstrom is a goalie that can do just that, push for the job and/or push Bernier to be better. Howard no longer is.

1 minute ago, ely s said:

Why buying out any of them, when you can afford to put them in your farm team to help develop your youngsters, like Dan cleary did.

I agree with that too! The first paragraph says that Detroit is in no need basically to buyout anyone. Abby in GR would be good I think, he can help players develop and I do believe he still resides in the Muskegon area in the off-season, so that would put him closer to home. It does beat buying him out!

7 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

My point was that Howard has been a better goalie over his career than Markstrom and to write him off after this last season in favor of Markstrom is as wrong as writing off Zadina.

Markstrom has been much better than Howard in all but one of the past six seasons, and is 6 years younger. But yeah, it totally makes sense to look at their stats over their entire careers. Never mind what they've done recently. What really matters is what Howard did when he was in his prime...

42 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Am I the only one that is happy about the Gagner deal? With $34M in cap space, $40M if you count Z's LTIR (if needed) we got a Center (who is arguably better than Filppula and Nielsen) for $850k. We still have room to acquire one or two huge salary dumps and still have the necessary cap space to re-sign Bertuzzi and Mantha....AND STILL have the necessary cap space to dive in to the UFA frenzy.

Turner Elson just re-signed as well for $725k, obviously minor league signing, but it's nice to see Yzerman starting the process! Did anyone (on ay team) get bought out yet?

Where you gonna fit these bad contract guys? Free agency? We just added a meh player with tons of them as it is. Whos dealt?cut?

gagner,filppula,nielsen,abdelkader,helm,glendening,ehn,erne,perlini,hirose,svechnikov,veleno,rasmussen,timashov,pearson.brome

we’re already the envy of teams when it comes to bottom line players

30 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Its a depth signing with a contract thats totally buriable. No problem. 

I like the buriable part

18 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Capture.JPG.065f0483ca07dab47f1fc23ff7535b03.JPG

We’re not buying out abdelkader , send him to the minors and be done with it or eat 50% and pray someone else takes him and sends another 2 mill problem our way

filppula or helm wont be bought out with one year deals , theyll be part of our lacklustre trade deadline bait to go along with gagner and nemeth .

Think we hang on to nielsen one more year and eat half his salary next season which will be 1.5 actual dollars and send his 5 mill cap hit to a team who doesnt want to spend money

Just now, ely s said:

I like the right shot part

I like the 18 pts part

3 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Where you gonna fit these bad contract guys? Free agency? We just added a meh player with tons of them as it is. Whos dealt?cut?

gagner,filppula,nielsen,abdelkader,helm,glendening,ehn,erne,perlini,hirose,svechnikov,veleno,rasmussen,timashov,pearson.brome

Most of those players either won't be re-signed, will be healthy scratched, in Grand Rapids, or just aren't as good as Gagner.

Never mind all of the other junk that Yzerman didn't sign, that he will likely try to get rid of over the next couple seasons. Gagner is a solid bottom six forward on a great contract. Looking at this signing in a vacuum, there's literally nothing not to like. If you want to lump it in with all of Holland's bad signings, that's not really fair to Yzerman...

Just now, nyqvististhefuture said:

we’re already the envy of teams when it comes to bottom line players

Well, there nothing saying we have to re-sign Ehn, Erne, Hirose or Perlini or Turgeon. I'd like to see Timashov re-signed, but that is about it. Veleno, Brome, Rasmussen and Pearson, along with Zadina if he isn't ready, ALL can go to GR without passing through waivers. The other 5, while they would have to pass through waivers, would be no big loss if claimed. So that leaves Svech and Timashov up in Detroit. I am sure Bowey may sign, but he'd be no big loss either, especially if Seider makes the club. We have 2-3 spots up front and at least 2 on the D along with 1 goalie to add via "salary dump" or UFA.  As discussed, if ini real need for a roster spot, Abby can be waived to GR. Even if he got picked up, no big loss. Yzerman would surely send the waiver exempt guys to GR in order to acquire draft picks or more (better) prospects to move this rebuild along. Heck even Gagner himself can be sent to GR and if he passes through waivers his entire salary can be buried.

Yzerman acquired Fabbri and Gagner via dumping players that he felt no longer fit here. BOTH of these players are better (at their positions) than half the team we already have and he did the right thing by re-signing them. He got them both for great prices and term respectively. Fabbri is 24 and can be part of the core moving and leading us forward, he fits right in with Larkin, Bert and Mantha. We have upwards of $40M in cap space, plenty of roster spots to fight for, and folks are complaining about a 1 year $850k contract for a player who is a better center than our other two making nearly $9M between them. Plus he is 5 years younger than both of them. This is a tryout contract for Gagner. He is either going to get traded at the TDL to a contender if he does well, or he will be re-signed again to shore up our bottom 6 moving forward. He is better than Nielsen, Filppula and Abby, this is a great signing.

18 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Most of those players either won't be re-signed, will be healthy scratched, in Grand Rapids, or just aren't as good as Gagner.

Never mind all of the other junk that Yzerman didn't sign, that he will likely try to get rid of over the next couple seasons. Gagner is a solid bottom six forward on a great contract. Looking at this signing in a vacuum, there's literally nothing not to like. If you want to lump it in with all of Holland's bad signings, that's not really fair to Yzerman...

If gagner is the benchmark we got alot more f***en problems than i thought , i dont care about the signing cause its 1 year and he can and I predict will be sent down and spend some time in the ahl 

Now i posted like what 14 forwards for bottom 6spots? Thats not even including a bad contract trade or ufa guys, as you said not all/can will be with the team

Likely on the team right now to start

Erne - cant see yzerman saying he was wrong about him at this point

Svechnikov - cant pass waivers and would be dumb to give up on him off the bat

filppula - one year left , will be trade bait

glendening - same as filppula 

helm - same as filppula and glendening unless yzerman finds a taker for one of them

Timashov - picked him up on waivers, looked good likely gains a spot

Thats already six with nothing else added and the sadly just signed gagner

with the way we’re headed  smith,rasmussen,veleno,pearson,brome,will start in grand rapids.

perlini,hirose gets dealt/not resigned  ... ehn possibly unless hes the 13th guy instead of gagner or gets signed and dropped to grand rapids as well 

abdelkader has to be sent down, no choice ... all that and nielsen not even mentioned and i cant see him being bought out or dealt unless an owner is desperate to hit the floor and save 2.5 mill in actual dollars

even with letting perlini,ehn,hirose walk i dont see how we’ll have room to take on a louie eriksson or ufa target or two. Yzermans gonna have to hope he can move nielsen/helm somehow right off the bat

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

18 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Well, there nothing saying we have to re-sign Ehn, Erne, Hirose or Perlini or Turgeon. I'd like to see Timashov re-signed, but that is about it. Veleno, Brome, Rasmussen and Pearson, along with Zadina if he isn't ready, ALL can go to GR without passing through waivers. The other 5, while they would have to pass through waivers, would be no big loss if claimed. So that leaves Svech and Timashov up in Detroit. I am sure Bowey may sign, but he'd be no big loss either, especially if Seider makes the club. We have 2-3 spots up front and at least 2 on the D along with 1 goalie to add via "salary dump" or UFA.  As discussed, if ini real need for a roster spot, Abby can be waived to GR. Even if he got picked up, no big loss. Yzerman would surely send the waiver exempt guys to GR in order to acquire draft picks or more (better) prospects to move this rebuild along. Heck even Gagner himself can be sent to GR and if he passes through waivers his entire salary can be buried.

Even with those guys not signed we have more than enough bottom line talent as it is without any ufa or adding a bad contract or two

zadina should and will be on the team likely in a top 6 role .... we dont have any spots unless we can get rid of some of the likes of helm/glendening/nielsen/filppula prior to the start of the season

we have spots in free agency atm at defense and a goaltender