• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Walman6million

2023 Trade Deadline Thread

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I'm not mad about SY re-signing Maatta. He's been good. I just don't understand why you wouldn't wait till after the deadline. See if there's a market for the guy and then re-sign if nothing materializes.

Just pure speculation, but Maatta took a 1 year deal to sign with Detroit. It might have been a hand shake deal that if he performed well, he would be re-signed.

Also, I am assuming all of Oesterle, Hagg, and Pysyk are gone and Lindstrom gets waived.

6 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

Just pure speculation, but Maatta took a 1 year deal to sign with Detroit. It might have been a hand shake deal that if he performed well, he would be re-signed.

Also, I am assuming all of Oesterle, Hagg, and Pysyk are gone and Lindstrom gets waived.

Could be, hard to say. At the end of the day I'm not mad about it, I just assumed that after the year he'd had (and given his cap hit) that he'd be pretty desirable to teams looking to go on playoff runs. Then again, we aren't exactly out of the Wildcard ourselves so maybe this is SY giving his team a vote of confidence.

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Could be, hard to say. At the end of the day I'm not mad about it, I just assumed that after the year he'd had (and given his cap hit) that he'd be pretty desirable to teams looking to go on playoff runs. Then again, we aren't exactly out of the Wildcard ourselves so maybe this is SY giving his team a vote of confidence.

Why do you feel like he cant be traded now?  Thats what I dont get.  Especially if we retain salary.

20 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Why do you feel like he cant be traded now?  Thats what I dont get.  Especially if we retain salary.

Because extending him actually makes him harder to move. Any playoff team looking for a rental would no longer have interest. SY wouldn't sign him if he was going to trade him.

2 hours ago, Walman6million said:

Anybody down to sell high on Walman now that Maata is re-signed? He'd probably be right at home in Dallas. 

Absolutely! Walmans play is a nice surprise but hes no part of this team in the future.

SM is full of ppl saying we must keep Walman at all costs. Hes a good dman that skates well but nothing special imo.

Guess who these 2 players are. 27yo dman with 21pts in 111gp. 24yo dman with 21 pts in 115gp. Thats the must keep Walman and forgettable Lindstrom.

Like Lindstrom Walman is a good bottom 4 but def not a staple and likely not a part of SY longterm plans. If a team offers a 2nd for Walman you take it.

2 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

SM is full of ppl saying we must keep Walman at all costs. Hes a good dman that skates well but nothing special imo.

Guess who these 2 players are. 27yo dman with 21pts in 111gp. 24yo dman with 21 pts in 115gp. Thats the must keep Walman and forgettable Lindstrom.

Like Lindstrom Walman is a good bottom 4 but def not a staple and likely not a part of SY longterm plans. If a team offers a 2nd for Walman you take it.

Walman is good to keep around short term due to his chemistry with Seider while young dmen in the system develop. I think Johansson will be Seider's partner down the road though. 

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Walman is good to keep around short term due to his chemistry with Seider while young dmen in the system develop. I think Johansson will be Seider's partner down the road though. 

Sounds good to me.  I hope we can pry a real slick skating RHD prospect away from a team at the deadline.  Was looking at Topi Niemela, but Bert to TO doesnt seem as likely now.

5 hours ago, CupCrazy22 said:

This clown posted his article in a Wings FB group I'm in and got lit up there, too. Every single article he has written is complete trash.

Yeah this is literally r-slurred. And his previous article was "wings should trade Eddogg for Jiricek." Ignore.

We're in the hunt for a wildcard spot along with several other teams. Yzerman has re-signed Maata and taken Bertuzzi off the market. Indicating he's more interested in pursuing the playoffs than acquiring future assets.

1. He wants to make the playoffs regardless of cup chances. Probably for a couple reasons. He wants to see how this team performs in a playoff situation. Who steps up? Who caves? Is Bertuzzi really the playoff buzzsaw the league expects him to be? Is Larkin someone who can lead this team to a cup? Regardless of that - it also gives this team and its young players a glance into the next level that is the playoffs. An experience I'm sure he wants everyone to get sooner rather than later.

2. SY is already fulfilled by his prospect pool. He likes his young core, and doesn't feel the heavy need for future assets that we had in the past anymore. This should lend a tremendous amount of faith to the players already in the system. Edvinsson, Wallinder, Albert Johansson, Anton Johansson, and Buium are all likely as good as we suspect. Buchnelikov, Lombardi, Kasper, Mazur, Hanas, Berggren, and Soderblom are likely as good as we suspect. But also Seider, Larkin, Bertuzzi, Fabbri, Hronek, Vrana, Ras, Veleno, and Husso he is happy with.

3. Vrana and Bertuzzi are our deadline additions. Both are returning to form and will likely be an incredible boost to this team. Think about it. They were both penned into our top6 this summer - but neither has really played - till now.

4. Doesn't this make us buyers? I don't think SY would hedge our future for a rental. If he acquires, it will be a meaningful piece he intends to keep. Chychrun and Meier might be too expensive. Maybe he sneaks in and acquires one after the rest of the teams panic buy other assets. But I think he likely goes after low impact assets or stands pat. Loww impact assets like Kulikov  - Domi or Barbashev or Gavrikov could be interesting too.

Regardless - I think it's interesting that SY is forcing this team forward. I wonder how much of this is him being organic, and how much is this pressure to return the team to form from ownership.

18 hours ago, Walman6million said:

Yeah this is literally r-slurred. And his previous article was "wings should trade Eddogg for Jiricek." Ignore.

Yep! 

22 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

im in it too!

That's awesome. Decent group, but most have zero clue! It's actually mind blowing.

Edited by CupCrazy22

I have a feeling that since The Wings are only 3 points out of the wildcard spot with games in hand on The Isles, Caps and Panthers, we can forget about a Bertuzzi and/or Larkin trade. I feel that Yzerman is going to stand firm with this team (unless he dumps Vrana (unfortunately)) and IF they can squeak into that spot, it'll be a huge learning experience for this young team. Even if they don't make it, the experience they'll get by just being in the race is valuable! Yzerman made his UFA choices last summer with the intent on getting better and making progress. Well, being this close to the playoffs, and possible making it is the progress I believe he was looking for. Extending Maata only proves that he is very happy with this team and the additions he made. Of course, it may mean a 1st round exit, but it's still experience and gives them hunger to do even better next season. So with that, I am not sure Yzerman will be too active come March 3. He may be able to move Haag or Oesterle or even Ned and Erne, but I believe that both Larkin and Bertuzzi will get their extensions and be two of the cornerstones of this team going forward into glory.  This is all just speculation on my end of course, but if you're this close to the playoffs, and possibly make it, why trade away one or two of the pieces that got you there? I get it, there is always the chance that they'll walk for free, and the TDL is when their value is highest, but if negotiations stall, they can always be dealt on draft day, or right up to before they become UFA. They return won't be as high as the TDL, but it would still be good, and they won't walk for free. Neither of them have NTC/NMC so there are 31 teams you can trade them to, I am sure someone will pay a good price for either of them at the draft.

Give Larkin the 8x$9M and Bertuzzi 4x$6M.