42. Beau Akey

43. Noah Dower-Nilsson

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

9. Dvorsky

17. Yager/Honzek/Barlow

41. Anton Wahlberg

42. Oscar Fisker Molgaard

43. Beau Akey

Beau Akey is the darkhorse thats going to end up looking like a top15 pick one day IMO. Being stuck behind Brandt Clarke killed his draft ranking. 

Im also not a big Dvorsky fan so ur first pick is wrong

3 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

Beau Akey is the darkhorse thats going to end up looking like a top15 pick one day IMO. Being stuck behind Brandt Clarke killed his draft ranking. 

Im also not a big Dvorsky fan so ur first pick is wrong

Darn, I was desperately seeking your approval. Maybe next time.

19 hours ago, town123 said:

9: C/RW RYAN LEONARD

17: D TOM WILLANDER

41:  G MICHAEL HRABAL

42:  C GAVIN BRINDLEY

43:  LW NOAH DOWER NILSSON

73:  G TREY AUGUSTINE

https://fanspeak.com/nhlotc/draft.php?d=ohrvia

I win!

Based on mock drafts I've read online, I think this would be a good haul if Stevie could pull it off.  McKenzie and Colin have Simashev going first D on the board.  I honestly do not have any clue about any of the players in this draft other than the first 2 picks, so l'll leave this to you guys.  If I was the GM, I would draft for 2 things - Speed first, and Size 2nd.  Can't teach fast and can't teach big.

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Based on mock drafts I've read online, I think this would be a good haul if Stevie could pull it off.  McKenzie and Colin have Simashev going first D on the board.  I honestly do not have any clue about any of the players in this draft other than the first 2 picks, so l'll leave this to you guys.  If I was the GM, I would draft for 2 things - Speed first, and Size 2nd.  Can't teach fast and can't teach big.

Most of us only know what we read, hear or obsesrve to be trending, as well as the eye test from vids.  We don't know s***e. 

I agree with drafting speed and size, and will have to trust our scouts to identify kids with that as well as heart and toughness.   The regular season is a joke but entertaining.   The playoffs is entertaining and a dose of reality as to 'what' wins.

The only thing I learn every playoff year is:  players with the most desire usually win it all.

9. Ryan Leonard                       17. TomWilander                    41. David Edstrom                  42. Anton Whalberg               43. Dan Nelson                       73. Jacob Dvorek

1 hour ago, HoweFan said:

9. Ryan Leonard                       17. TomWilander                    41. David Edstrom                  42. Anton Whalberg               43. Dan Nelson                       73. Jacob Dvorek

I'd be pretty happy with this haul. I'd expect a few of these guys to go higher than you've got them mocked here but I'd be thrilled with the outcome.

Edit: Also, good call on Edstrom. I really like him and think he's got "Yzerman Pick" all over him. I left him off my mock because I was looking at the higher end scorers, but there's a good chance his offense is way better than it seems given the leagues he's been playing in.

Edited by kipwinger

I think the Wings have to take Moore with 9OA (if available) 

then you take a big winger at 17 (But, Barlow, Honzek) or grab Willander, Simashev or Sandin-Pellikka if one of them is still there. 

Insanely hard draft to mock

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

3 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Yep.   Probably the hardest one over the last ten years or so.

The number of redrafts 3,5 and then 7 years from now will be epic.

5 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

then you take a big winger at 17 (But, Barlow, Honzek) or grab Willander, Simashev or Sandin-Pellikka if one of them is still there. 

After Moore/Smith/Benson, I think it's a crap shoot. And I expect all 3 to be gone by our pick, so our pick is a crap shoot. Who knows what Yzerman likes in that (likely) scenario.

IMO the BPA at that point is:

Forward: Leonard or Brindley
Defense: Simashev or Sandin-Pellikka

If I had to pick a BPA out of all 4 it's probably Sandin-Pellikka. I can really see that being our pick. Smaller, more offensive minded, Swedish RHD. It makes sense. And it fits our needs.

However, Simashev does match the Yzerman-model of a Dman so to speak, more than ASP does. He just doesn't fit our needs at all.

Leonard and Brindley is kind of a toss up for me.

Edited by bIueadams

7 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I've tried mocking the 1st round several times. It's mind-numbing.

This is all I know for sure:

• Bedard is going 1st.
  • Fantilli is going 2nd.
  • Carlsson is going 3rd, 4th, or 5th.
  • Smith is almost definitely going in the top 5, possibly as high as 3rd.

That's it. Beyond that, it's all up in the air.

Edited by Dabura

6 minutes ago, Dabura said:

• Bedard is going 1st.
  • Fantilli is going 2nd.

and a D-man going top 8 is bankable too. 

Button's (who I usually like for draft rankings and who had Seider and Raymond ranked 1-2 prospects before their rookie year) post U18 top 10 is this:

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Michkov

Sandin-Pellikka

Smith

Sale

Willander

Dvorsky

Barlow

Is this NHL parity? 

12 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Button's (who I usually like for draft rankings and who had Seider and Raymond ranked 1-2 prospects before their rookie year) post U18 top 10 is this:

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Michkov

Sandin-Pellikka

Smith

Sale

Willander

Dvorsky

Barlow

Is this NHL parity? 

Where is Moore? Benson?

45 minutes ago, Dabura said:

• Bedard is going 1st.
  • Fantilli is going 2nd.

So that means Yzerman is drafting the bad boy Russians that are available?

12 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Michkov

Sandin-Pellikka

Smith

Sale

Willander

Dvorsky

Barlow

Is this NHL parity? 

This seems about as good a time as any to do my annual "There's no such thing as best player available" post. So...

There's no such thing as best player available. After the obvious outliers (in this case Bedard and Fantilli) there are groups of players that are all roughly as good as one another. How do you determine who's better between a defenseman or center with roughly equal talent? You don't. You draft the thing you need. All NHL teams do this. How do you choose between a power forward that can score goals and a fast winger that's more of a playmaker? You don't. You draft what you need. Why did Simon Nemec get drafted before Shane Wright last year? Because New Jersey needed a right handed defenseman, NOT because there's some objective way to determine that Nemec was "better" than Wright. So...

That means that mock drafts are likely to go completely to hell after the "obvious" choices at the top of the first round. It is absolutely impossible to determine whether Riley Heidt's lack of pace makes him a better or worse player than Lucas Dragicevic, who has no compete. All of these analyses are subjective and "best" means "best fit" and not "best player" because outside of the first few players there's no real consensus on what constitutes the best package of hockey talent.

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

This seems about as good a time as any to do my annual "There's no such thing as best player available" post. So...

There's no such thing as best player available. After the obvious outliers (in this case Bedard and Fantilli) there are groups of players that are all roughly as good as one another. How do you determine who's better between a defenseman or center with roughly equal talent? You don't. You draft the thing you need. All NHL teams do this. How do you choose between a power forward that can score goals and a fast winger that's more of a playmaker? You don't. You draft what you need. Why did Simon Nemec get drafted before Shane Wright last year? Because New Jersey needed a right handed defenseman, NOT because there's some objective way to determine that Nemec was "better" than Wright. So...

That means that mock drafts are likely to go completely to hell after the "obvious" choices at the top of the first round. It is absolutely impossible to determine whether Riley Heidt's lack of pace makes him a better or worse player than Lucas Dragicevic, who has no compete. All of these analyses are subjective and "best" means "best fit" and not "best player" because outside of the first few players there's no real consensus on what constitutes the best package of hockey talent.

I also believe teams draft for need 99% of the time.  They will usually trade down if there is a guy they dont need but know that other teams do.  We traded up to get Cossa out of need.  Not because everybody was predicting Cossa was the next guy off the board.

3 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I also believe teams draft for need 99% of the time.  They will usually trade down if there is a guy they dont need but know that other teams do.  We traded up to get Cossa out of need.  Not because everybody was predicting Cossa was the next guy off the board.

Exactly, if there was a way to determine "best player available" trade backs would almost never happen. And goalies would go a lot higher than they do. I think GMs repeat the BPA mantra so that they don't have to spend a single second discussing their actual draft strategy to dimwit fans and media types. They just say BPA and dumb dumbs eat it up and they move on.

Edit: Also, if "BPA" was an actual thing then teams wouldn't bother having meetings with players to gauge their character/temperment/attitude. "Well sure Alex Semin, we'll draft you. You score a billion goals and are tall, fast, and skilled. Why would we care if you're a lazy crybaby? You're the best."

Edited by kipwinger