• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Scott R Lucidi

Detroit Like Our Teams VS. Las Vegas Maneuvering Cup Chqmps

Rate this topic

The tank has begun.  Let's (Yzerman and Lalonde included) all keep pretending we have enough scoring depth, have 6 capable defensemen, and have a great goaltending tandem.  So good that playing our first round draft picks from the last 3 years and getting them NHL experience is way less important than getting our asses kicked with reject players from other teams.  

You all have Steve's Regards 

Resume FULL TANK MODE.

1 hour ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

The tank has begun.  Let's (Yzerman and Lalonde included) all keep pretending we have enough scoring depth, have 6 capable defensemen, and have a great goaltending tandem.  So good that playing our first round draft picks from the last 3 years and getting them NHL experience is way less important than getting our asses kicked with reject players from other teams.  

You all have Steve's Regards 

Resume FULL TANK MODE.

But he literally said he didn't feel the price of dealing away top prospects and picks was worth any player he could've picked up at the TDL. So are you mad he didn't make these trades to get top 6 or top 4 talent or are you mad he kept Berggren instead? I understand the frustration of lessor players in the NHL while top prospects are in GR. But Berggren has been called up and he isn't going back. If he plays 4 more NHL game's he loses waiver exemption and Yzerman, again, literally said in his presser that he didnt plan on bringing him up to only play him to the threshold (3 games) and send him back. He's here to stay. So that covers one of the top prospects that you're referring to. In regard to the last 3 years 1st round picks, ASP and Danielson aren't quite ready. Kasper is in his 1st year in the AHL and Yzerman said yesterday that he couldn't say no for sure that we won't see Edvinsson this year in Detroit. He's in GR to learn how to run a power play, lead the D, and learn how to be a top 2 guy. He's pretty much ready, so if not sometime this year, next year for sure. I went over all this in the TDL thread. We're all a bit upset that teams around us went all in and we just cleared a roster spot. But that spot is now filled by Berggren. Plus I can appreciate him not throwing 15-20 years of the future away for rental help now. If that means fall out of the playoffs this season, oh well. It beats selling off our top picks and prospects to squeak into playoffs. AKA Ken Holland 2.0.

39 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

But he literally said he didn't feel the price of dealing away top prospects and picks was worth any player he could've picked up at the TDL. So are you mad he didn't make these trades to get top 6 or top 4 talent or are you mad he kept Berggren instead? I understand the frustration of lessor players in the NHL while top prospects are in GR. But Berggren has been called up and he isn't going back. If he plays 4 more NHL game's he loses waiver exemption and Yzerman, again, literally said in his presser that he didnt plan on bringing him up to only play him to the threshold (3 games) and send him back. He's here to stay. So that covers one of the top prospects that you're referring to. In regard to the last 3 years 1st round picks, ASP and Danielson aren't quite ready. Kasper is in his 1st year in the AHL and Yzerman said yesterday that he couldn't say no for sure that we won't see Edvinsson this year in Detroit. He's in GR to learn how to run a power play, lead the D, and learn how to be a top 2 guy. He's pretty much ready, so if not sometime this year, next year for sure. I went over all this in the TDL thread. We're all a bit upset that teams around us went all in and we just cleared a roster spot. But that spot is now filled by Berggren. Plus I can appreciate him not throwing 15-20 years of the future away for rental help now. If that means fall out of the playoffs this season, oh well. It beats selling off our top picks and prospects to squeak into playoffs. AKA Ken Holland 2.0.

I'm mad we didn't SELL. 

39 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm not sure what Berggren and Edvinsson are going to accomplish. We're good on middle six wingers and left handed defensemen. If anything those are strengths of the team. Both those players help in the long term, but neither of them address needs for this team right now. And if you're not trying to improve this team right now then why didn't we just sell?

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I'm not sure what Berggren and Edvinsson are going to accomplish. We're good on middle six wingers and left handed defensemen. If anything those are strengths of the team. Both those players help in the long term, but neither of them address needs for this team right now. And if you're not trying to improve this team right now then why didn't we just sell?

Understood. I can only go by what Yzerman said. He said that he had players just as good that he could borrow from GR. Maybe he's just spinning it because he couldn't get the deal he wanted. He did say the was a forward he was trying to get, but it would've cost too much when it came to young assets and picks. 

I personally think Jack Roslovic would been well worth a 4th.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

9 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Understood. I can only go by what Yzerman said. He said that he had players just as good that he could borrow from GR. Maybe he's just spinning it because he couldn't get the deal he wanted. He did say the was a forward he was trying to get, but it would've cost too much when it came to young assets and picks. 

I personally think Jack Roslovic would been well worth a 4th.

I feel as though this franchise has found itself in that middle pack of teams where we may, or may not make the playoffs, but are highly unlikely winning the lotto/generational player.

I guess there's hope that Yzerman and the scouts draft those hidden gems, and signing/trading for better than average vets.

Edited by Motor City Mullets

1 hour ago, Motor City Mullets said:

I feel as though this franchise has found itself in that middle pack of teams where we may, or may not make the playoffs, but are highly unlikely winning the lotto/generational player.

I guess there's hope that Yzerman and the scouts draft those hidden gems, and signing/trading for better than average vets.

It's possible he already did. Lucas Raymond is scoring about as much as Mitch Marner and Nikita Kucherov did at the same age. Seider is playing like an elite 1D, and is probably ahead of where any other "elite" defenseman was at this age. If his point totals don't reflect it that's because he's been asked to eat defensive minutes, against top competition, more than comparable elite players. Victor Hedman wasn't out there starting in the defensive zone 60% of the time when he was Seider's age. Didn't score as well as Seider does either.

We've all got this impression that "elite" looks like McDavid, or Mackinnon, or Hughes, or Matthews but it doesn't always. Elite might look like Bergeron and Pastrnak, or Kopitar and Doughty. We'd better hope so anyway. The challenge for Yzerman is to figure out how to build around the talent we do have and not hold out hope for a particular type of talent we don't have.

The good news is that we've got a Brayden Point level 1C in Larkin. We've got a Sergachev (or better) in Edvinsson. We've got a Markstrom (or maybe Demko) in Cossa. Maybe we have a Quinn Hughes in ASP.

I really do believe that the pieces are there, but I think we've got to start playing winning hockey. Integrating these guys onto winning rosters. Letting them see what it takes to be a playoff team in the NHL on a day by day, game by game basis. And that's not going to happen if we get THIS close to the playoffs and our front office refuses to put their thumb on the scale a push us over the top.

1 hour ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Lame.  Yzerman stalled this rebuild.  He needs to admit to himself when he's made a mistake and correct it.  We have multiple contracts now that reek of Abdelkader.  Yzerman doesn't have to ride them out.  Admit you've botched the term length, and make trades with salary retained, no matter how personally painful.

Anybody with Twitter happen to see if Ansar Khan (or anyone else) posted the line combinations today? I'm curious to see who Berggren will play with. I have to imagine it'll be Copp and Sprong but who knows.

8 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Anybody with Twitter happen to see if Ansar Khan (or anyone else) posted the line combinations today? I'm curious to see who Berggren will play with. I have to imagine it'll be Copp and Sprong but who knows.

Khan hasn’t tweeted anything since March 6. Looks like he lost that pit fight to St James and is still chained up at the Ramada. 

My guess would be i3rd line on Copp’s wing with Sprong. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

39 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

It's possible he already did. Lucas Raymond is scoring about as much as Mitch Marner and Nikita Kucherov did at the same age. Seider is playing like an elite 1D, and is probably ahead of where any other "elite" defenseman was at this age. If his point totals don't reflect it that's because he's been asked to eat defensive minutes, against top competition, more than comparable elite players. Victor Hedman wasn't out there starting in the defensive zone 60% of the time when he was Seider's age. Didn't score as well as Seider does either.

We've all got this impression that "elite" looks like McDavid, or Mackinnon, or Hughes, or Matthews but it doesn't always. Elite might look like Bergeron and Pastrnak, or Kopitar and Doughty. We'd better hope so anyway. The challenge for Yzerman is to figure out how to build around the talent we do have and not hold out hope for a particular type of talent we don't have.

The good news is that we've got a Brayden Point level 1C in Larkin. We've got a Sergachev (or better) in Edvinsson. We've got a Markstrom (or maybe Demko) in Cossa. Maybe we have a Quinn Hughes in ASP.

I really do believe that the pieces are there, but I think we've got to start playing winning hockey. Integrating these guys onto winning rosters. Letting them see what it takes to be a playoff team in the NHL on a day by day, game by game basis. And that's not going to happen if we get THIS close to the playoffs and our front office refuses to put their thumb on the scale a push us over the top.

Lmao.  Larkin is nowhere near Point

40 minutes ago, TLGTrico said:

Lmao.  Larkin is nowhere near Point

Why's that? The only difference in their games is that Point scores marginally more. Which is to be expected when you play your entire career on a Cup contender with Nikita Kucherov as a linemate. Larkin's been on a rebuilding team his whole career and until this year his best winger was Tyler Bertuzzi. Otherwise they're extremely similar players both in style and in production.

Edited by kipwinger

I have changed seats to view game 

changed whiskey glass

changed whiskey ice molds

changed whiskey

i have done my part to end this skid 

I still don't understand why Reimer didn't play last night.

3.2 million man with the tip!!