• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Troy McClure

2024 Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

On 3/19/2024 at 7:15 PM, LeftWinger said:

Just read an article about 3 Ducks that could be traded this summer.

Zegras, Gibson, and Fowler.

Would Yzerman bring Cam home? Ducks feel that he doesn't fit the rebuild. We are further along. Ducks have well over $30M in cap space, and in a rebuild they shouldn't be looking to add too high a dollar UFA. I bet Yzerman could get them to retain 50% of his salary for the next 2 seasons. Cam Fowler at $3.25M is a heck of a deal. If we are able to dump some D, he could be a nice addition. Trade Holl, Chiarot and Maatta. Buyout Petry (I still think that is happening) or keep him for #7 spot, let Ghost walk. Replace with Edvinsson, Fowler and a top UFA or another acquisition by trade and another internal kid. I am not going to get into trade pieces, but imagine this scenario of acquisitions over the summer on D.

Fowler (50%) - Seider

Edvinsson - Chychrun (50%)

Walman - Sean Walker (just a suggestion)

Petry (or Wallinder/Johansson)

Up front, trade Fabbri, re-sign Kane, Fischer (team friendly deal) and Sprong for term, not salary (5 yrs. $4M maybe). I still see them bringing in Stamkos, it's hard not to see Yzerman going for that vet, especially if he lets Perron and Ghost go. I can see Berggren being a booger and taking the team to arbitration, so unless he really impresses these last games, I'd include him in trade offers. That might be the only reason he is here, so other teams can see him play in the NHL. We might be saying goodbye to some first-round picks, but it might be time to gamble on that.

The Goalie spot is a whole other animal. Do we trust Husso to be #1? Would Husso/Lyon carry us into the playoffs? We might need to find a real #1 guy.

Is Husso even still alive?  Maybe he's taken off with Kate Middleton?

https://octopusthrower.com/posts/players-red-wings-next-season-01hsqvsavnhe/6

1) Petry.  Gotta Eject for sure.

2) Chiarot.  Will be the most difficult trade, but it has to be made.  Chiarot (1/2 retained) + 2nd for 7th.  

3) Husso - Same thing as Chiarot.  This contract is awful.  It has to go.

I'm ok with Holl, Gost, Sprong, and Perron sticking around if they don't try and stretch our cap.  Gost's play with Maatta has been noting but stellar the last 20 games or so.  Those guys are the top 3rd pair league wide, imo.

Reimer I'm ok bringing back a 1.5 mil.  He's a perfect 3rd stringer to back up Lyon and Cossa until Augustine is ready.

On 3/25/2024 at 2:20 AM, Scott R Lucidi said:

https://octopusthrower.com/posts/players-red-wings-next-season-01hsqvsavnhe/6

1) Petry.  Gotta Eject for sure.

2) Chiarot.  Will be the most difficult trade, but it has to be made.  Chiarot (1/2 retained) + 2nd for 7th.  

3) Husso - Same thing as Chiarot.  This contract is awful.  It has to go.

I'm ok with Holl, Gost, Sprong, and Perron sticking around if they don't try and stretch our cap.  Gost's play with Maatta has been noting but stellar the last 20 games or so.  Those guys are the top 3rd pair league wide, imo.

Reimer I'm ok bringing back a 1.5 mil.  He's a perfect 3rd stringer to back up Lyon and Cossa until Augustine is ready.

The oversized Canadian goalie vs the undersized athletic American goalie... it's going to be interesting to see this play out.  

We're hopefully going to go from having no goalies to a Boston type situation with 2 guys battling for #1 status with no bad option.

24 minutes ago, mackel said:

The oversized Canadian goalie vs the undersized athletic American goalie... it's going to be interesting to see this play out.  

We're hopefully going to go from having no goalies to a Boston type situation with 2 guys battling for #1 status with no bad option.

Cossa is undefeated in regulation in his last 15.  Guy just wins everywhere he goes.

On 3/26/2024 at 9:56 AM, Scott R Lucidi said:

Cossa is undefeated in regulation in his last 15.  Guy just wins everywhere he goes.

What's better for him?

Next year backup in Detroit playing ~20 games with the caveat that if he goes on a tear Fester doesn't over play him 

or being the MAN in GR?

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

What's better for him?

Next year backup in Detroit playing ~20 games with the caveat that if he goes on a tear Fester doesn't over play him 

or being the MAN in GR?

He needs to stay put in GR but get 9 NHL games next year.  Don't burn his term.

17 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

He needs to stay put in GR but get 9 NHL games next year.  Don't burn his term.

Yes this and hopefully he and Dan Watson graduate full-time from GR to the main roster together in 25-26.

5 hours ago, mackel said:

Yes this and hopefully he and Dan Watson graduate full-time from GR to the main roster together in 25-26.

Love it.  If no changes are made with Chiarot, Petry, and Fabbri this offseason, Lalonde will be gone after next year.  He will be the fall guy.

On 3/30/2024 at 7:05 PM, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

Either Dan Watson or Sergei Federov as our next HC in the 2025/2026 NHL season after Derek Lalinde is canned after next season. Watson and Cossa coming up by then would be solid. Watson is wonderful with the young kids gets a lot out of them.

Blashill was wonderful with the young kids too, plus won a ship with them...that didn't work out.

Also, we no longer need "players coaches." We need mean, kick your ass coaches. Not saying Fedorov is mean, but I don't think he is a "nice guy" coach, like Lalonde.

Yall should pump the brakes on Cossa a bit. He's learning how to play his position correctly and he's getting rewarded for it. But that doesn't mean he's done learning. Up to this point he's been able to get by on size and athleticism. That doesn't work in pro hockey. So he's in the process of moving along his developmental curve. And while he looks good right now, don't mistake that for being "NHL ready" because he's not. He's get torn up by NHL shooters right now. He's still young, let him keep learning how to play correctly and develop his skill. Throw him to the wolves now, just because he's been good in the AHL, and you'd regret is.

Same with Kasper.

Edited by kipwinger

53 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Yall should pump the breaks on Cossa a bit. He's learning how to play his position correctly and he's getting rewarded for it. But that doesn't mean he's done learning. Up to this point he's been able to get by on size and athleticism. That doesn't work in pro hockey. So he's in the process of moving along his developmental curve. And while he looks good right now, don't mistake that for being "NHL ready" because he's not. He's get torn up by NHL shooters right now. He's still young, let him keep learning how to play correctly and develop his skill. Throw him to the wolves now, just because he's been good in the AHL, and you'd regret is.

Same with Kasper.

He's got 17 games in a row without a regulation loss.  Why pump any brakes?  Pump the GAS.  Why do Detroit fans still think we are in 2002 and have a hall of famer at every position?  Our goalies are journeymen.  Get Cossa 9 games as Lyon's backup through Nov of next year.  See how he handles NHL duty.  If he excels, keep him up. If he falters, send him down and use someone else as back up.  Simple.

4 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

He's got 17 games in a row without a regulation loss.  Why pump any brakes?  Pump the GAS.  Why do Detroit fans still think we are in 2002 and have a hall of famer at every position?  Our goalies are journeymen.  Get Cossa 9 games as Lyon's backup through Nov of next year.  See how he handles NHL duty.  If he excels, keep him up. If he falters, send him down and use someone else as back up.  Simple.

Na, he hasnt even played a full season in the AHL yet as the #1. Hes splitting duties with Hutch. Way too soon. 

1 hour ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Like I said, get him 9 games early on next year 

I'm fine with a 9 game stint. I mean "pump the brakes" in terms of how good people think he is RIGHT NOW because of his play so far in the AHL. There's still a really big jump from the AHL to the NHL, especially for goalies. People shouldn't conclude he's "ready" because of what he's doing right now. He's still got a lot of learning to do.

53 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'm fine with a 9 game stint. I mean "pump the brakes" in terms of how good people think he is RIGHT NOW because of his play so far in the AHL. There's still a really big jump from the AHL to the NHL, especially for goalies. People shouldn't conclude he's "ready" because of what he's doing right now. He's still got a lot of learning to do.

Roger.  Cossa seems to be one of those guys that everybody says he needs help to win.  For me, that's EVERY goalie.  Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur were guys that could win games in front of bad teams.  But none of them won cups in front of bad teams.  Detroit is 1 or 2 good players away from having a good team.  Cossa will have the help required for him to succeed.

Vasilevskiy was 20 when he played in the NHL for 16 games, then when he was 21, he played 24 games, then there was no looking back, the next season he played 50. Cossa is 21 now, once this playoff run is over, it's time for him to get a serious look next pre-season. Go with Lyon and Cossa. That is the way of the future right there. Then in 2 seasons, Cossa will be the starter. Next season is time. I'm over all the drafting high and waiting 4 years over and over again. Cossa is ready to show us what he's got. Mazur, Johansson, these kids are close, bring them up starting next season.

Edited by LeftWinger

4 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Vasilevskiy was 20 when he played in the NHL for 16 games, then when he was 21, he played 24 games, then there was no looking back, the next season he played 50. Cossa is 21 now, once this playoff run is over, it's time for him to get a serious look next pre-season. Go with Lyon and Cossa. That is the way of the future right there. Then in 2 seasons, Cossa will be the starter. Next season is time. I'm over all the drafting high and waiting 4 years over and over again. Cossa is ready to show us what he's got. Mazur, Johansson, these kids are close, bring them up starting next season.

I'm with you.  It's not like Grand Rapids is 8000 miles away.  Give him his looks in October and November as a back up.  If he poops the bed, then back to the Griffs.  But if he excels, then let him excel.  No sense keeping him in the minors if he's NHL ready.

Examples

Bobrovsky was 22

Carter Hart was 20(ignore all the other nasty stuff this is about just on the ice) 

Roy was 20 

Price was 20 

Fluery was 18 FFS

If he plays and isn't a fish out of water I say let him roll with the big club. 

The Phoenix must RISE from the ashes

6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Yall should pump the brakes on Cossa a bit. He's learning how to play his position correctly and he's getting rewarded for it. But that doesn't mean he's done learning. Up to this point he's been able to get by on size and athleticism. That doesn't work in pro hockey. So he's in the process of moving along his developmental curve. And while he looks good right now, don't mistake that for being "NHL ready" because he's not. He's get torn up by NHL shooters right now. He's still young, let him keep learning how to play correctly and develop his skill. Throw him to the wolves now, just because he's been good in the AHL, and you'd regret is.

Same with Kasper.

Agreed... I'd give him a game or 2 this year once we're out of it.  Then starter in the AHL next year play 9 games, the transition.

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Examples

Bobrovsky was 22

Carter Hart was 20(ignore all the other nasty stuff this is about just on the ice) 

Roy was 20 

Price was 20 

Fluery was 18 FFS

If he plays and isn't a fish out of water I say let him roll with the big club. 

The Phoenix must RISE from the ashes

I think we are all going to like watching picks hit him.