• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lou_Siffer

Fighting poll

Rate this topic

If fighting were banned, how would it effect you as a fan?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please post what your choice is...if you feel so inclined.

Aaaaaaaaaah crap, the no effect one is supposed to be an option. Can anyone fix this?

Edited by Matt

I chose small effect only because I love the Wings no matter what. If I didn't have such a strong attachment like if I was a casual fan, I would stop watching all together. NHL can't afford to lose anymore fans than it has. It's starting to rebuild its' fan base but taking out fighting will surely hinder it.

I picked that i wouldnt watch it anymore. I would be so angry that my bitterness would never allow me to watch another second!

thanks for fixing the poll matt

Small effect. I'd still watch the Wings just as much, and you all would agree with me that the Wings very rarely ever get into a fight, so it wouldn't really matter. I'd still watch other games a little bit, but some teams (like the Flyers) that I follow to watch the fighting I wouldn't watch as much.

edit: Just because of this though, I would be extremly mad if they took fighting out of the game. Hockey would also be an extremly ugly and dirty sport, and I don't really get exited about someone jamming their stick up another guys ass because they can and don't have to worry about being fought.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Im surprised by the number so far that would completely stop watching it. I thought for sure i'd be in the minority on that.

If fighting was eliminated completely, I'd have to find a new sports outlet. :crazy:

If fighting was eliminated completely, I'd have to find a new sports outlet. :crazy:

Spoken like a man with Joey in his avatar :thumbup:

So...are the 5 people so far afraid to show themselves or what? ;) Its funny how in every thread we have on fighting here, almost nobody ever comes out and says theyre against it. Its like the deep dark secret!

I think it would be a total disaster if fighting was took away from hockey, it's a contact sport and it just wouldn't be right, it's part of the game we all know and love, although i think todd fedoruk's face needs a break from all the beatdown's he takes. :P oop's wrong choice of words. :D

I said little affect, I mean come on how often do you acctually see a player on our team go one on one against another player, not to often as of late. The only thing I see is small scrambles around the net, and if that goes, it would scar me so much that I would have to stop watchign the Wings.

I voted no effect, I love hockey and I love fighting too but IMO banning fighting wouldnt make me stop watching hockey, I mean I think fighting is exciteing and part of the game and I WOULD be very pissed if they banned it...but not to the point of boycott

Edited by Elshupacabra

Guest DetroitIan

Personally, I would be devastated if that ever happend. I definitely would continue to watch the NHL. But It just wouldnt be the same. Luckily, I know that will never happen. Fighting is just as much a part of the game as anything else. And hopefully thats the way it will be till the end of time.

Am I the only one who realizes that there's hardly anymore fighting in hockey as it is today. Since we're all still fans, I guess that means it has had a small effect. However, the league needs to get rid of the stupid instigator rule, because hockey doesn't have the edge that it used to. Maybe then we'll see more than 1 guy in the league crack the 200 PIM mark. Hockey with no fighting = football.

Guest DetroitIan

Am I the only one who realizes that there's hardly anymore fighting in hockey as it is today. Since we're all still fans, I guess that means it has had a small effect. However, the league needs to get rid of the stupid instigator rule, because hockey doesn't have the edge that it used to. Maybe then we'll see more than 1 guy in the league crack the 200 PIM mark. Hockey with no fighting = football.

Ummm...yeah I think you are the only one. Just because the Red Wings hardly ever fight anymore, doesnt mean there's barely any fighting anymore. There was plenty of fighting around the league this season. Sure its not as frequent as it was back in the day, but there are still alot of fights league wide. I've been a center ice user for 4 years now. And almost every time I got a chance to watch a night of hockey, I would catch atleast a couple fights each night. Sometimes several more. But on average, i'de say probably 3-4 fights a night league wide(atleast from what I got to watch). Thats pretty damn good. But out of 30 teams in the NHL, the Red Wings are litterally the only team that completely lacks an enforcer. But league wide, its still a part of the game. I agree with all the rest of your points. Especially the instigator rule.

As stated above fighting mine as well be banned if you are solely watching the Red Wings. Haha, I mean if you only watch the wings then you honestly would not be able to tell the difference wether or not fighting in the NHL is banned.

Am I the only one who realizes that there's hardly anymore fighting in hockey as it is today. Since we're all still fans, I guess that means it has had a small effect.

While theres not as many fights as there used to be, what matters for me is that the chance of one taking place is still existent. I mean, i can sit there an entire game featuring Nashville vs Columbus if theres fighters in the lineup. Even if one doesnt end up taking place, it still kept my interest peaked during the game. Eliminate fighting and you take that factor away from me...I just wouldnt be able to watch it anymore. Hockey's like a glass of milk, with fighting being the chocolate syrup. Milk on its own is ok, but i would never even bother drinking it without the chocolate!

Ok, stupid analogy but it just came to me as i was typing!

While theres not as many fights as there used to be, what matters for me is that the chance of one taking place is still existent. I mean, i can sit there an entire game featuring Nashville vs Columbus if theres fighters in the lineup. Even if one doesnt end up taking place, it still kept my interest peaked during the game. Eliminate fighting and you take that factor away from me...I just wouldnt be able to watch it anymore. Hockey's like a glass of milk, with fighting being the chocolate syrup. Milk on its own is ok, but i would never even bother drinking it without the chocolate!

Ok, stupid analogy but it just came to me as i was typing!

Lou, do your bones break when you go down stairs? Because you know, oxalates in chocolate will bond with the calcium in milk and thereby reduce the calcium absorption into the body.

Lou, do your bones break when you go down stairs? Because you know, oxalates in chocolate will bond with the calcium in milk and thereby reduce the calcium absorption into the body.

Nah, my bones are always ready to step up to the occasion against those stairs!

"Personally I feel fighting does have it's place in hockey, & if anyone has played the game - they'd most likely agree"

That statement is 100% true, also fighting will never be banned, it just wont happen, it is woven to deep into the fabric of the game.

It wouldn't affect my viewing one way or the other. The NHL needs to get rid of the instigating rule though, then you might see more run-of-the-mill fights.

It certainly has it's place in the game, along with plenty of other aspects which make the sport great to play or watch. And while I don't mind seeing people drop the gloves, I'm not drooling in my seat yelling for a bout or going like a monkey "OOOH OOOH OOOH A FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIPPEE!" If it happens, great, if not there's other parts of the game to enjoy.

It's just overhyped in here I think.

I voted for small effect, but it would drastically change my viewing habits. I would turn on the game, but not watch all of it. Then I would cut off most of the NHL except for the Wings, Habs, and Canucks. HNIC wouldn't be the same, especially the late game. It would be a very sad day and I would mourn the passing of the NHL that I grew up with. :(