• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

Holland won't offer Chris Chelios new contract

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Finally

Chris Chelios' playing days as a Detroit Red Wing are over.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland met with Chelios today and thanked him for his 10 years of service with the club.

"I met with Chelios and told him we would not be offering him a contract," Holland said. "He wants to play again. I really think that he does have another year in him. I think he can play 10 to 15 minutes. I think he can play on a third pair."

But with the Wings' top four of Nicklas Lidstrom, Brian Rafalski, Niklas Kronwall and Brad Stuart, plus the emergence of Jonathan Ericsson, there wasn't room for Chelios on the roster.

Chelios, 47, was not immediately available for comment. He had no points and a plus-1 rating in 28 games with the Wings this season.

Edited by mindfly

Not that I wanted Chelios back, but the Wings top 6 looks like this:

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Ericsson - Lebda

Meech?

So this is actually a good indication that they think Lilja will be playing next season. Otherwise they need another set of legs back there for depth in the event there's an injury.

Can anyone show some appreciation? This guy has been a Wing for 10 years and has become a main face in the Wings organization. Everyone here just seems to be happy that he's gone. Though its for the best, it was an absolute pleasure having him on the team this past decade and its dad to see him go.

Can anyone show some appreciation? This guy has been a Wing for 10 years and has become a main face in the Wings organization. Everyone here just seems to be happy that he's gone. Though its for the best, it was an absolute pleasure having him on the team this past decade and its dad to see him go.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Ericsson - Lebda

Meech?

So this is actually a good indication that they think Lilja will be playing next season. Otherwise they need another set of legs back there for depth in the event there's an injury.

I hope they get rid of one of Meech and Lebda. They probably will in order to resign their depth up front. I know we're supposed to like Meech because he's a stopgap at forward but don't you all remember Mathieu Dandenault? Don't we know how the Meech story is going to end?

Sometimes I wonder if Lilja's shakiness during the 07-08 season was due to his free agency. I mean, this past year he was really, really solid.

I'm gonna miss Chelli.

He was great for us for about 9 out of those 10 years, even though everyone thought he'd only play a few seasons after the trade and then retire. He was an integral part of several long playoff runs.

I thought people were unfair to him this season, but he was slipping so I understand Holland's decision. I wonder who, if anyone will sign him.

He stayed two years too long, for his own personal reasons and it cost the franchise a least one NHL defenseman in Kyle Quincey.

Thats the draw back of being loyal, letting players dictate if they want to stay on past their worth.

Im surprised they even signed him for this previous season. After his flub in the Dallas series in 2008, getting benched, I assumed he was done.

Theres no reason a guy like Kindl, who at the very least should get 10-20 NHL games just for experience, shouldn't get that chance because Chelios just doesn't know when to hang them up.

We would have experienced the same thing if Yzerman or Shanahan didn't know to get out when they did.

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Ericsson - Lebda

Meech?

Are you ever going to use Kindl or does he have 'bust' written all over him?

EDIT: I guess he isn't as old as I thought he was, seems like he's been around for a while.

Edited by MacK_Attack

I hope they get rid of one of Meech and Lebda. They probably will in order to resign their depth up front. I know we're supposed to like Meech because he's a stopgap at forward but don't you all remember Mathieu Dandenault? Don't we know how the Meech story is going to end?

Sometimes I wonder if Lilja's shakiness during the 07-08 season was due to his free agency. I mean, this past year he was really, really solid.

I wouldn't really complain if they needed to do that. But I thought that Lebda played pretty well. Despite Meech being pretty useless, our cap crunch is the reason we need to keep him, not get rid of him. He can play forward or defense. That's valuable.

Guest Four

For half the decade, he still played phenomenal. It sucks he jut can't produce anymore because of his age.

I wish him all the best and would like to thank him for the awesome role he contributed to the team. Hopefully he'll become a defensive coach for Chicago or Detroit one of these days.

Are you ever going to use Kindl or does he have 'bust' written all over him?

EDIT: I guess he isn't as old as I thought he was, seems like he's been around for a while.

Kindl will debut at age 30! He should have those defensive kinks worked out by then!

At some point you have to lead that old horse out into the pasture, feed him a good last meal, and shoot him.

But thanks Cheli! Perhaps you'll find a career as a conditioning coach or trainer, lord know's you're the man in this dept.

Edited by dicksmack

Thank you. I'm so sick of seeing him get thrown under the bus just because he wanted to play. Nice to know there are real fans out there who can appreciate what he meant to this organization.

I'll miss you old man.

While I will miss him, there does come a time for everyone. The utmost respect the Chelios, and I hope he can find a place to do what he wants, whether that be play another year or get a job behind the bench, whatever.

47 and still playing hockey. Not many will get to do that. Fewer still will be able to contribute at all on the ice at that age.

While I will miss him, there does come a time for everyone. The utmost respect the Chelios, and I hope he can find a place to do what he wants, whether that be play another year or get a job behind the bench, whatever.

47 and still playing hockey. Not many will get to do that. Fewer still will be able to contribute at all on the ice at that age.

Not likely to see it again now that all the PED's are out of sport in general.

Not saying Chelios was on them, but the old guys won't be able to keep their bodies in such tip-top shape anymore at such an advanced age (hockey-wise).

Far fewer guys playing into their 40s than there were even 5-7 years ago.

Cheli was one of the pillars of the team, even though he didn't play as much as he once did. He exuded an aura of confidence and greatness, only seen on the Red Wing roster. It was the cocky smirks given to opposing teams fans. It was the great interviews. It was the little jabs in the corners. It was the taking of time to talk and sign autographs for fans. It is one of the last living legends of the game, going away for good and for some reason part of me feels devastated he won't be back in a Wings uniform :(

Thank you. I'm so sick of seeing him get thrown under the bus just because he wanted to play. Nice to know there are real fans out there who can appreciate what he meant to this organization.

I'll miss you old man.

been there, done this before. <_< Love ya, Cheli. Hope you find somewhere to play one more year, if you want. You were awesome for the Wings and many of us appreciate all your hard work and savvy. You will be missed.

:scared: I certainly hope he takes McCrimmon's place!

If not, then Thanks for everything Cheli! Not only did you bring strength and professionalism with you. Thanks for 10 years (already?) and two Stanley Cups! And two awesome restaurants! I hope they stay here after you leave, and I hope you come back to visit once in a while! I guess if he goes elsewhere, we'll hear just how Babcock treated him for real! :lol:

I hated his guts when he was a hawk, didn't see how I'd like him as a wing, but I've came to really respect him as a person and as a player. I'm glad he's moving on, but he was a warhorse and he'll be a good 6/7th dman for someone, just not the wings.

I'm gonna miss Cheli, he's such a badass. I love how whenever some punk would try to mess with him, he'd give the look like "Don't even try kid, I'll mess you up."

I think it'd be cool if we could find a place for him in the organization , but he most likely will keep playing. Cheli Beli had some good years here, wish him the best.

I'll miss you old man.

Chelios has been my favorite for years, his was the first jersey I got and I've rooted for him since, well, we got him. It's sad to see him go, I felt he could still play, but I guess it's necessary. I worry about our depth, though, now. Meech? We have no one at depth on D who we can count on in a crunch. Who cares if Meech can play both position if he sucks at both?