• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 detroitdan

detroitdan

Future General Manager

• PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:07 PM

Hey guys. I work in a sporting goods store here in Newfoundland. A guy came in this morning and bought a couple of Wings hats. Isaid to him that that was the best team and he asked me if I was a big fan. I said I was diehard and that I had followed them for a long time, had gone to see them play Edmonton last month.

Turns out he's a friend of Danny Cleary's and that Cleary is out in his truck. He told me to get someone to cover for me and that he'd get me a signed picture of him. So I went with him out to the truck and met Cleary. He's a nice guy, got to talk to him for a few minutes, he just got back home yesterday. They were going out of town for the May 24th holiday (Victoria Day, big deal in these parts). I asked him if he was going to be back with Detroit next year and he said he'd probably sign a new contract soon. I got the autographed picture too. It was pretty cool. I was really excited when I found out that the Wings had signed him, I'm even more excited now that he's going to be staying there for what looks like a few more years.

The last thing I said to him was "Bring the Cup back here next year" and he said he would. Wings in 07 baby! champs.gif

#2 lordstanleyofpreston

lordstanleyofpreston

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:10 PM

He was one of our more consistent players with mule and Maltby in the playoffs. Good to hear he'll be back.

#3 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

Thats cool. Thanks for the story. thumbup.gif
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#4 asmith18

asmith18

Grinder

• Gold Booster
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:05 PM

That's awesome you got to meet him and hope he does come back, he was great in the playoffs.

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!!!!!

#5 MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Now With Staingard

• PipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:24 PM

Cleary's work ethic and aerobatic skills ( tongue.gif ) have made him one of my favorite Wings. This guy is the Wings' new #1 grinder, IMO. Hope we can re-sign him.

#6 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:26 PM

Anything more than the minimum and he's getting overpaid. He played gritty in the playoffs, I'll give him that, but he always comes on the short end of a bodycheck, and can't finish to save his life. His spot could be better utilized by a Grand Rapids prospect, who's younger and deserves a chance. Now if this means Maltby will be traded, fine, but someone will need to explain the reasons behind this signing if that's not the case

#7 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,359 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:29 PM

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

Dan is the man! I hope he does sign a new contract. He absolutely deserves it.
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#8 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(Barnes52 @ May 19, 2006 - 01:26PM) View Post

Anything more than the minimum and he's getting overpaid. He played gritty in the playoffs, I'll give him that, but he always comes on the short end of a bodycheck, and can't finish to save his life. His spot could be better utilized by a Grand Rapids prospect, who's younger and deserves a chance. Now if this means Maltby will be traded, fine, but someone will need to explain the reasons behind this signing if that's not the case

Cleary isn't very old himself and can skate circles around any of the GR crew brought up for a checking line role.

Posted Image

#9 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:42 PM

Again, not worth more than the league minimum. Guys like Cleary are a dime a dozen

#10 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(Barnes52 @ May 19, 2006 - 02:42PM) View Post

Again, not worth more than the league minimum. Guys like Cleary are a dime a dozen

Ive been saying the same. I dont what the love for Cleary is all about...whether or not he works hard, he still has no offensive ability whatsoever (3 G over a full season folks). You can find another penalty killer out there who can do more in other areas than Cleary. Plus if Draper and Maltby are still here..you just cant give a spot to this guy. But if he does come back..minimum is indeed all he should he get.
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#11 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:37 PM

Interesting story, cool that you got to meet him.

#12 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(Lou_Siffer @ May 19, 2006 - 02:45PM) View Post

Ive been saying the same. I dont what the love for Cleary is all about...whether or not he works hard, he still has no offensive ability whatsoever (3 G over a full season folks). You can find another penalty killer out there who can do more in other areas than Cleary. Plus if Draper and Maltby are still here..you just cant give a spot to this guy. But if he does come back..minimum is indeed all he should he get.

My hope is that he and 'Stein become the Kirk and Kris of the future (I'd actually prefer the now) at at most half the cost of the current Grind Line alumni.

Posted Image

#13 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:48 PM

I just hope that they can produce a little more offensively than what they did this year.

#14 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:00 PM

Cool story ...I wish something like that would happen to me. I keep waiting to run into Sergei down here in C-bus someday.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#15 jimp19

jimp19

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(norrisnick @ May 19, 2006 - 01:38PM) View Post

Cleary isn't very old himself and can skate circles around any of the GR crew brought up for a checking line role.

Bootland needs to be inserted on the 4th line, he is playing on the PP and PK lines for Grand Rapids. It would supply more of a physical presence than what's there now.

#16 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(detroitdan @ May 19, 2006 - 12:07PM) View Post

Hey guys. I work in a sporting goods store here in Newfoundland. A guy came in this morning and bought a couple of Wings hats. Isaid to him that that was the best team and he asked me if I was a big fan. I said I was diehard and that I had followed them for a long time, had gone to see them play Edmonton last month.

Turns out he's a friend of Danny Cleary's and that Cleary is out in his truck. He told me to get someone to cover for me and that he'd get me a signed picture of him. So I went with him out to the truck and met Cleary. He's a nice guy, got to talk to him for a few minutes, he just got back home yesterday. They were going out of town for the May 24th holiday (Victoria Day, big deal in these parts). I asked him if he was going to be back with Detroit next year and he said he'd probably sign a new contract soon. I got the autographed picture too. It was pretty cool. I was really excited when I found out that the Wings had signed him, I'm even more excited now that he's going to be staying there for what looks like a few more years.

The last thing I said to him was "Bring the Cup back here next year" and he said he would. Wings in 07 baby! champs.gif

Nice man, Cleary sounds like a good guy.

For those critiquing him, we're supposed to have others put it in the net more consistently (i.e. Shanahan, Datsyuk, etc.) that didn't. Would it be nice for Cleary to have 10 goals over 82 games instead of 3? Sure, but we're not relying on Cleary to score 15 goals a game. I'd definitely like to see him back and a slight raise in salary is deserved I think a bit above the league minimum.

#17 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:44 PM

You're dead on when you say that Cleary isn't relied on to score but I would like to see some offensive improvement from this year, is that really all that much to ask for?

#18 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(Barnes52 @ May 19, 2006 - 02:26PM) View Post

Part of the reason the Wings are considered such a class franchise is that they don't lowball their players. Even if Cleary gets twice the league minimum (very unlikely) does that really affect the Wings' ability to sign someone? I think Cleary will get about $700-750K per year. Does that extra $250-300K really cause problems for the Wings to try and sign a $4 million free agent, if they need to?
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#19 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:00 PM

Look at it this way: If you like him, hes most likely coming back and we could do a lot worse. Hes cheap, relatively young, has a good set of wheels, a little grit, some heart and experience.

For those of you harping on him, all signs point to Mark Mowers not coming back. Someone needs 13th forward duty, and undoubtedly Cleary will get it if hes underperforming.

As long as this guy is given a smart contract, Im ambivalent.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#20 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:35 PM

Just a quick reference for those of you saying 'he should get a raise...'

The only way Cleary doesn't get a raise is if he doesn't play in the NHL. The minimum goes up to 475k this year.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."