• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Elshupacabra

Do the Wings want first in the conference?

Rate this topic

It seems like every time the wings get with in a couple points of Nashville they kind off lay of the intensity, Not to say that they lose on purpose or don't care but I wonder if they really want to be first, what are other peoples thoughts?

:Edit: Spelling

Edited by Elshupacabra

While this has been beaten to death, nothing gets done. It's pretty obvious that Detroit can be taken off of its game simply by playing physically. They didn't slow the game down and carry the puck, they took penalties, tried to hit, and tried to skate with a faster team.

Props to the Flyers... they looked like the Oilers of last year's playoffs. Detroit completely blew a golden opportunity to overtake Nashville and establish itself for a shot at a divisional title. They simply cannot skate with San Jose and Anaheim and I will almost guarantee that if this current roster meets them in the first round, they are eliminated in 5 games.

Wings do NOT want to overtake Nashville.

it's quite obvious for some time that this team is not going for playoffs 1st spot but is quite blatantly targeting 4th spot.

and it's perfectly understandable to me.

it's quite obvious for some time that this team is not going for playoffs 1st spot but is quite blatantly targeting 4th spot.

I don't want 1st either. 4th sounds good to me. Let someone else be the team everyone is gunning for.

Honestly, guys, the only time that placing first in the conference/division did ANYTHING for us was '02. In 97 & 98, we came in 3rd in the conference (though we did win the division), and look how well we made out.

I'm 100% a-ok with us not taking the Conference in the regular season. That's less pressure on us. Even being a top seed doesn't always help out. Remember, last year all 4 first round series in the West were upsets.

Edited by Jedi

of course they're going for first. you always want first. you really think babcock said before the game, " alright guys, layoff tonight, we're gaining to much ground on nashville." you really think they want to play san jose in the first round? that team will run us into the ground. literally.

The Wings, like all teams, want to win 98 games every year...

They won't, and may not win the division, which is OK, but they're gunning for it just like everyone else.

:clap:

I don't get this 'we're better off in second place' stuff. Being the top seed is fine, if getting there wasn't too easy.

Guest Crymson

It seems like every time the wings get with in a couple points of Nashville they kind off lay of the intensity, Not to say that they lose on purpose or don't care but I wonder if they really want to be first, what are other peoples thoughts?

:Edit: Spelling

Four words: Back-to-back games.

Also, stop bitching.

Edited by Crymson

In 97 & 98, we came in 3rd in the conference (though we did win the division), and look how well we made out.

Um, Dallas finished first in the Central Division both seasons.

I'm glad we're not running away with the conference or division. This team needs to continue to consistently be competitive throughout the entire season, not float around for the last month and a half of the season with no purpose of playing. This is why they have failed in the playoffs of late.

I really don't care if we finish 1st, but as long as they stay competitive like I said so that they are in that 'mode' when the playoffs start. Hopefully Nashville and Detroit both win some to keep things close in the division.

Looking to next weekend. I am uneasy that we play Edmonton on friday and then we have to travel to Nashville and play them on saturday night. I hope we can win both of those games, if not hand Edmonton the win and beat the piss out of Nashville.

I think you are delusional, at least temporarily.

We shouldn't be handing anything over to anyone, especially these two teams. We should play just as angry against Edmonton as we were angry upon bowing down to them. And Nashville is our division leader and rival. 'Nuff said.

This will be a true measurement stick for the upcoming playoffs. Edmonton will try and knock us around and Nashville will try and establish dominance in the Central.

Guest Crymson

While this has been beaten to death, nothing gets done. It's pretty obvious that Detroit can be taken off of its game simply by playing physically. They didn't slow the game down and carry the puck, they took penalties, tried to hit, and tried to skate with a faster team.

Props to the Flyers... they looked like the Oilers of last year's playoffs. Detroit completely blew a golden opportunity to overtake Nashville and establish itself for a shot at a divisional title. They simply cannot skate with San Jose and Anaheim and I will almost guarantee that if this current roster meets them in the first round, they are eliminated in 5 games.

3 GAMES IN 4 DAYS. See how much energy you have at the tail end of that one.

Great, continue with your guarantees of a quick playoff end. Since you're so convinced, why not just start rooting for one of those teams now?

Everyone is aware that we need more toughness. We know it, the announcers know it, the players know it, and the management knows it. The topic has been brought up on this board too many times to count. Don't act as if you're the genius presenting the end-all solution, and wondering why everyone else is too stupid to realize it.

by no means are we "gunning" for the fourth seed...that means a date with san jose...not something to look forward to seeing how they have man handled us 3x this year

We were only truly manhandled once. Another time, we took 14 penalties. The third time, we lost in the last six seconds with Joey in net.

In any case, the fifth seed could very well be Dallas.

Why would I root for another team? I'm a Wings fan, which is why I refuse to accept this loss to Philadelphia. I understand the fatigue, and I've seen it before, but we should be able to score more than 1 goal in our previous 2 losses against much weaker teams. Both games had us shooting from bad angles, having shots blocked by the defense and looked like carbon copies of our Edmonton games, which I absolutely refuse to relive... as should the team.

The only reason i see getting 1st is that they are very very good on home ice this season. Lets just hope if it does happen, 8th seed is Minnesota, we seem to have there number. Otherwise 8th seed could be Calgary, Nucks, or Oilers.

as long as we are actually playing to get into the playoffs instead of coasting in because we clinched a month ahead of time, i think we will have the playoff drive going when we get in

Edited by rwfan007

Hell no they don't want to be 1st in the conference. Whoever gats that, gets the San Jose buzzsaw.

No ... if we get 4th we have to play San Jose. 1st we will get the Wild or the Nucks. While we have had a strong season, there are a few gaps which we def. need to look at before the playoffs. (not just stuff adressed by a trade) but like the full 60 minute game.

1st in the conference, but not the presidents trophy. That trophy has changed them in the last 3 out of 4 seasons, and have been caught off guard in the early rounds. I hope buffalo wins it, so that at least it won't alter their attitude. I wouldn't mind if anaheim won it either (we'd be 2nd in that scenario).