• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:23 PM

Alright with the possiblity of getting the right player to fill out our offense, and so many questions about what we can do for our team next year with who we can resign.

Should Detroit be sellers at the deadline?

I know our record says no, but our roster seems to say yes.

If we cannot improve our team, I don't feel too secure about a deep run at the cup.

Maybe we should look at moving Williams, Lang, Schneider, Maltby, Chelios and whoever doesn't fit into our long term plans. We could always pick these guys back up after the fact and restock our farm system.

I only ask because it was the consensus that we needed a youth movement before the season started, and now that our trade options are dwindling playing for now might be counterproductive. Maybe that youth movement wasn't needed then, but right now at the trade deadline.

Oh and Pavel too, cannot forget to suggest to get rid of him while we still can get something for him.

"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#2 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

I've thought about myself but no, the Wings aren't in a position to sell. Why? Because you have to go for it while you have a healthy Lidstrom at your disposal. He's not going to be around that much longer.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#3 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:41 PM

I don't think Holland should be out actively shopping anyone, but if maybe an Eastern Conference team like Atlanta or Carolina comes calling interested in a specific player, Holland would be nuts not to listen. It's not likely though.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#4 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,808 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

I don't think Ilitch would ever green-light Holland to be a seller unless the Wings were 10-20 points out of playoff contention by the deadline.

Ilitch has always maintained that he wants this club to compete for the cup every single year, and I doubt he'll change that stance anytime soon.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#5 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

Selling would be more for people that can only worry about the future and not the present, because they have no chance of getting into the playoffs. Detroit most likely I don't think would move Chelios or any of the older players because Illitch if very loyal, the only reason Shanny left is because he wanted to. So I doubt we would sell anything unless we are gaining something GREAT in return, as it has been pointed out people seem to forget we are actually #2 in the west so... Our team isn't that bad
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#6 vladyfan

vladyfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:38 PM

Chelios? What? Honestly, I love the guy. He is a horse and should retire a Wing. But, seriously, who would want him, and honestly, what would be the point? He does not make much and brings so much to the table... why would you even mention him?
Don't want it, Don't need it, Don't want your war machine"

#7 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:17 PM

No.

#NOMOREKINDL

#8 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

Nope, just buyers
IPB Image

#9 WhiteLightning91

WhiteLightning91

Feed the Mule!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:07 PM

Williams - WOULD LIKE NOTHING MORE THAN TO LOSE THIS ******!!!

Lang - I know this guy isn't in our future plans but I really like Lang. He is a big body on the second line and can protect the puck just as good as anyone on out team. But if dealing him in order to make room for a Bertuzzi/Guerin or Fedoruk/Lapoint type player, than I am all for it.

Schneider - Not gonna happen. To important to our PP and is too old to bring any value to any team who would be a seller at the deadline.

Maltby - Never going to be traded. He is too important to our PK and Babcock and Holland both know it. I can see him not being re-signed during the offseason unless he takes a pay-cut.

Chelios - DUMBEST. SUGGESTION. EVER!!!!!

Datsyuk - Please. Can we stop with the "Trade Datsyuk" threads. Holland is not going to go into the playoffs without him even if he has sucked in them his whole career. Kenny has repeatedly said they are not shopping Datsyuk and will not.

The only guys I see us trading are Williams, Lang, Hudler (sadly), and a few prospects.

GMRwings1983: "Hudler has been stellar"

#10 Icteria virens

Icteria virens

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE(vladyfan @ February 17, 2007 - 09:38PM) View Post

Chelios? What? Honestly, I love the guy. He is a horse and should retire a Wing. But, seriously, who would want him, and honestly, what would be the point? He does not make much and brings so much to the table... why would you even mention him?

I agree with everything except that nobody else would want him, isn't he our most physical d-man?

#11 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(ARice89 @ February 17, 2007 - 06:28PM) View Post

I've thought about myself but no, the Wings aren't in a position to sell. Why? Because you have to go for it while you have a healthy Lidstrom at your disposal. He's not going to be around that much longer.

Hasek too.

We're going for the Cup this year!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#12 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:04 AM

It's funny how everyone mentions Williams as the deal breaker, but it's so far from that. When you think about, we'd be lucky to get a bag of pucks or a $20 dinner at Hockeytown Cafe for Williams. He has no real trade value at all. He would have to be part of a package of younger prospects or draft picks if we want to move him.

#13 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE(Icteria virens @ February 17, 2007 - 11:20PM) View Post

I agree with everything except that nobody else would want him, isn't he our most physical d-man?

Kronwall? Markov?

#14 vladyfan

vladyfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:24 AM

I did not mean to slight Cheli in the least by saying who would want him.... just being realistic. Unless the Wings were dumb enough to NOT sign him, and he decided to play elsewhere (don't see that happening), who would want to trade for him? He brings leadership to the ice, but I can't see anyone calling Holland and saying we want him...
Don't want it, Don't need it, Don't want your war machine"

#15 Griffin

Griffin

This Is What Happens When You Don't Trade Our 1rst Rounders

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

if we weren't in a good playoff position then i'd look at selling, if we were at the bottem of the league start to think about the "re building" word(hopefull that never happens) as long as we're at the top of the league we wont trade our players

#16 Zeke

Zeke

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(Griffin @ February 18, 2007 - 10:38AM) View Post

if we weren't in a good playoff position then i'd look at selling, if we were at the bottem of the league start to think about the "re building" word(hopefull that never happens) as long as we're at the top of the league we wont trade our players

One point out of first overall (the kiss of death?),we have a good mix of veterans and players in their prime,and players giving it a last shot.
We have to go for it this year,but if someone wanted Lang or Williams,I think you can pry them from our cold dead hands.
Crosby plays dress-up

#17 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(Kp-Wings @ February 18, 2007 - 12:04AM) View Post

It's funny how everyone mentions Williams as the deal breaker, but it's so far from that. When you think about, we'd be lucky to get a bag of pucks or a $20 dinner at Hockeytown Cafe for Williams. He has no real trade value at all. He would have to be part of a package of younger prospects or draft picks if we want to move him.

I agree with you that he is not worth a stinky water bottle but I do have this strange feeling about him...like if we traded him to a young team that is rebuilding he could be a 30 goal guy in this league.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#18 WingNut 25

WingNut 25

Minister of Defense - Red Wings Nation West

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:57 PM

Why on Earth would the Wings be sellers when they have a legitimate shot at the Cup?

#19 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE(WingNut 25 @ February 18, 2007 - 08:57PM) View Post

Why on Earth would the Wings be sellers when they have a legitimate shot at the Cup?

I have no idea why this thread was started
IPB Image

#20 Aeothe Kaear

Aeothe Kaear

puttin' on the foil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:04 AM

Samuelsson for pucks

dry.gif
"I can't believe I shook that guy's friggin' hand. That pisses me right off." -- Dino Ciccarelli