• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

scotzman

Cherry on the Wings...

Rate this topic

The part that i disagree with is that we all know Malkin will win the rookie of the year.. But i think Jordan Stall should win it.. Listening to all those stats and the KID IS 18. He has the scoring touch of his older bro eric

I don't remember hearing him make one comment about the Euro's on our team... Secondly, are you seriously trying to tell me that Markov and Franzen have thrown any big hits? Can you link me to some video on YouTube of their amazing hits, because I'm sure they made a hilight reel of some kind? While I think Markov and Franzen are tough, Chelios has thrown bigger hits than those two.

As for Mac and Hatcher... both of them are not really suited for the new NHL... but, there are players with grit and tenacity who fit in the league and fire up their respective teams and the crowd. Right now, the only person that we have who SOMETIMES throws a good check is Kronwall. Not even Maltby hits anymore...

Then you apparently dont know Don Cherry. He is notorious for taking Canadians over Euros any time he can - even if undeservedly so. He is known for being biased against Euros.

Case in point: Staal over Malkin. 71 points to 37 and he thinks Staal should win it. What a joke.

The part that i disagree with is that we all know Malkin will win the rookie of the year.. But i think Jordan Stall should win it.. Listening to all those stats and the KID IS 18. He has the scoring touch of his older bro eric

Just because Staal is 18 and a good player doesnt change the fact that Malkin has incredible skill and nearly double the points that Staal has. Sure, he has the record for rookie SH goals, but is that enough to justify a clear difference in skill and a 34 point gap?

some of those stats he said last night were false.

Staal has had - games.

Exactly as a few above. Of course Cherry would pick a Canadian to win over a Euro/Russian. And a Stall at that ... dont get me wrong, for the most part I like Cherry, but he goes off about the Stalls like they are the greatest thing in history.

Most ppl got there way a few years ago when Kovalchuk and Healtey were rookies. I am Canadian, and a very proud Canadian, but I thought Kovy had a more impressive first campaign, but Healtey won it.

Considering you missed that, which was probably a top three goal in the league this year, I'm sure you've missed a few other hits Markov and Franzen have thrown. There have been some nice ones.

(before I start I will mention I am not a Crosby hater ... but nor to I slaivate over him)

With some of the play Sid has made this year, I doubt the Markov hit and Dats goal will get the attention it deserves, but the hit and subsiquent play above is my favorite play of this season. Not simply based on it being Red Wings, but it somes up why I love hockey. A crushing hit, followed by some gorgeous stick handling, and a sweet goal. Love it!!!

Then you apparently dont know Don Cherry. He is notorious for taking Canadians over Euros any time he can - even if undeservedly so. He is known for being biased against Euros.

Case in point: Staal over Malkin. 71 points to 37 and he thinks Staal should win it. What a joke.

Just because Staal is 18 and a good player doesnt change the fact that Malkin has incredible skill and nearly double the points that Staal has. Sure, he has the record for rookie SH goals, but is that enough to justify a clear difference in skill and a 34 point gap?

yeah i see your points, im just a big fan of Jordan.. But im not taking anything away from Malkin he's a great player and will be for years to come

Considering you missed that, which was probably a top three goal in the league this year, I'm sure you've missed a few other hits Markov and Franzen have thrown. There have been some nice ones.

Didn't miss it... was a great hit, but I would have to say that is not the norm for Markov. If you are really ready to sit here and say that Markov hits every night and plays with grit all the time, I think you are delusional.

Secondly, let me say, I know Cherry dislikes the Euro's, but I don't think that should even play into the discussion... the reality is, no matter if we have Euro's making hits or Chinese players making hits and playing with a little edge, it would make for a better NHL experience in Hockeytown.

In fact, if you can tell me you don't enjoy a good hit or a scrum or better yet, a fight, then I wonder if you really love the real game of hockey at all.

Ok, I agree with everyone who says that too many tickets go to corporate season ticketholders and not your average John Smith, but the reality is this. 99% of pro sports teams in this country don't care who buys their season tickets as long as they are sold. Companies? scalpers? fans? You think they give a crap? I worked for one of teams in Detroit and now I work for a company heavily involved in pro sports on the west coast and I can tell you that nobody cares as long as it's a sold seat. You think they are going to call up major corporations in the Detroit area and say "well we have noticed that you haven't been using 2 of your 6 seats for most of the season, we are going to force you to give those up so 'real fans' can buy them" No friggin way thats ever going to happen.

Edited by SFwingsfan

You think they are going to call up major corporations in the Detroit area and say "well we have noticed that you haven't been using 2 of your 6 seats for most of the season, we are going to force you to give those up so 'real fans' can buy them"

But what a great idea. Seriously.

Guest LivingtheDream

With all the problems in the auto companies and all the businesses in Detroit tied to them, maybe there wil be less corporate held season tickets next year? So, for all you corporate season ticket holders how about this - don't come back until you can compete with Toyota and Honda. Leave the hockey to real fans.

Don Cherry has said Phaneuf should have won the Calder over Ovechkin, and won the Norris over Lids.

That right there says it all.

That said though I love Grapes, I think he is a funny personality, and he loves hockey.

I was at the Boston game today. I tried a half a dozen times to get a "let's go redwings" chant going. Other people tried too. There was not a single chant that the arena joined in on. That is pathetic. The fans must be spoiled. IMHO that game could have had a different outcome had the fans showed up with some emotion.

I was at the Boston game today. I tried a half a dozen times to get a "let's go redwings" chant going. Other people tried too. There was not a single chant that the arena joined in on. That is pathetic. The fans must be spoiled. IMHO that game could have had a different outcome had the fans showed up with some emotion.

That's really weird, considering there was even a fight in the game today. I figured that being it was Boston people would have gotten up for the game.

I guess the only time people will get up for a regular season game anymore is if it's Nashville. Honestly, I have yet to see a crowd in another game to really impress me. The Toronto game? The crowd was a joke. It was mostly the Leafs fans you heard, not the Wings fans. I'm really suprised about this. You figure that that when they play eastern teams the fans would get up for it more. In todays case like you said, I guess not.

don't come back until you can compete with Toyota and Honda. Leave the hockey to real fans.

Do you live in Detroit? If so... Them's Fightin' Words!

Seriously though, not a great thing to say with all the people losing their jobs, homes and lives. Definitely not in good taste.

That being said as previously stated, why wouldn't they sell tickets to whomever buys them? That is part of the reason the Joe needs an overhaul so they can add luxury suites for all the suits. Only problem is with the economy in Michigan, no way they are building a new stadium.

Oh yeah. Almost forgot to mention...after the game we went to Fishbone's. Gordy, Mark and Marty were dining there also.

and i missed it. :(

Sorry to hear that... the Red Wings DVD Set has a couple games against the Av's on it, you could always relive the rivalry that way.

I also agree with Donals S. Cherry.

I know that the regular season hasn't meant much to the Wings in over a decade but they need to find a way to 'get up' for some games. Even in their tilts with Nashville there isn't that intensity we used to see when playing the Leafs or Avs. And I think it has a lot to do with the fact that we have no fighters and really nobdy that hits. Only Maltby seems to lay the body and even little Hudler but we need to get some more grit on this team. Despite all the rule changes and Cap restrictions, ground-and-pound is still the most effective way to get to the Cup. We need to get more players that can provide this. Getting Calder and Bert will help in this regard.

Guest Tunbo Batman

again, we dont CHOOSE to play sucky teams 50 times a year.

give us some real opposition and the emotion level will go up.

DON CHERRY IS PRO CANADIAN EVERYTHING. Hes pushing Staal for rookie of the year over Malkin. Staal's having a great year, but Malkin is the clear-cut winner hands down.

If Stastny continues on his current pace, he's going to make the race really interesting. Right now, Malkin only has 7 more points, and Stastny is on fire...