• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

New Jersey Devils Fire Coach

Rate this topic

ahhh.....not many details, but more filler....

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Claude Julien was fired as New Jersey Devils coach Monday and replaced by general manager Lou Lamoriello with a week to go in the regular season.

The firing comes after the Devils won four of their last five games. The team is in first place in the Atlantic Division with three games to go.

Julien guided the Devils to the second-best record in the Eastern Conference, posting a 47-24-8 mark in his only season as coach.

The move marks the second time in as many seasons that Lamoriello has stepped behind the bench. Last season he led the Devils to the Atlantic Division title after Larry Robinson resigned unexpectedly in December.

Monday's firing isn't the only time Lamoriello made a late-season coaching move. He fired Robby Ftorek late in the 2002-2003 season and Robinson eventually led the team to its third Stanley Cup since 1995.

Lamoriello's a fool. The only reason I could see for him firing Claude Julien is for some personal reason, like he slept with his wife or something. Beyond that, this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

EDIT: Grammar.

Edited by edicius

Yeah agree that is a little weird to fire him a week before the playoffs when they are 1st place in the Atlantic.

I can't seem to find a reason to why such a thing was done.

Oh well, bye Devils, sucks for a new coach to be hired at this point in the game.

Oh well, bye Devils, sucks for a new coach to be hired at this point in the game.

Lou is going behind the bench.

Doesn't really matter who is behind the benches for the Devils, they play the same system no matter what.

Lou - "I'd like to coach the team cause I really don't like you and I enjoy yelling at people"

Claude - "So you're saying I get an early summer holliday, I don't have to watch this boring defensive style of hockey we play, I still get paid, AND I don't have to put up with your arrogant rants anymore? How soon can I leave?"

Lou - "We packed your bags for you this morning."

TSN - "In a shrewd strategic move which illustrates Lamorello's cunning and sheer hockey genius, the Devils GM has fired their coach right before the playoffs and replaced him with... er... himself."

Dead-bang on again TSN ice psychics... :rolleyes:

The last time Lamoriello did it, the Devils went all the way. My money is on Lou, he knows what he's doing.

The last time Lou replaced the caoch with himself, the Devils did not go all the way.

When he replaced Ftorek late in 2002-03 with Robinson, it worked.

But, like I said with Lou behind the bench, it will not work this time.

Larry Robinson was a coach who knew what he was doing. is Lou one like that?

Lamiorello is a very serious guy and what he does - does make sense. but this time... I'll have to wait to judge. that's a very bad signal to the team right before playoffs

It sounds like a dumb move to me...firing your coach 3 games before the playoffs, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens! if the Devils win the cup this year everybody will be celebrating Lamiorello's genuis...and if they don't everybody will call him an idot, but anything can happen in the Playoffs!

Edit=Grammar

Edited by Elshupacabra

I'm stunned. Unless their going for the 1999-2000 approach where they fired Robbie Ftorek before the playoffs and won the Cup, I can't believe they would do this. It must be a personal reason. It's not like the Devils have been bad or anything. They have 102 points. Is that not good enough or something?