• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

New Jersey Devils Fire Coach

Rate this topic

The last time Lou replaced the caoch with himself, the Devils did not go all the way.

When he replaced Ftorek late in 2002-03 with Robinson, it worked.

But, like I said with Lou behind the bench, it will not work this time.

Ftorek was replaced by Robinson back in the 1999/00 season, when they went on to win the cup. Pat Burns was the coach the whole 2002/03 season and they won the cup.

I might spot Lou one playoff series, depending on the matchup (last year's matchup against the Jagr-less Rangers wasn't much of a challenge). When Lou went up against the Canes, he was just outcoached.

That's almost weird enough to enter the Mike Milbury/Charles Wang school of general management. Then again, I'd forgot about Lamoriello firing Ftorek a few years ago. We'll find out shortly if it's genius or hubris.

Lou - "I'd like to coach the team cause I really don't like you and I enjoy yelling at people"

Claude - "So you're saying I get an early summer holliday, I don't have to watch this boring defensive style of hockey we play, I still get paid, AND I don't have to put up with your arrogant rants anymore? How soon can I leave?"

Lou - "We packed your bags for you this morning."

TSN - "In a shrewd strategic move which illustrates Lamorello's cunning and sheer hockey genius, the Devils GM has fired their coach right before the playoffs and replaced him with... er... himself."

Dead-bang on again TSN ice psychics... :rolleyes:

you with CIA or NSA? :clap:

:crazy::scared::hehe:

isnt it a day late for that???

That's almost weird enough to enter the Mike Milbury/Charles Wang school of general management.

All he has to do now is sign Ari Ahonen (the Devils projected future goalie once Brodeur retires) to a 15 year contract and then they'll be all set. :P

if it's any other GM i'd say they're crazy. But with Lou, you just have to wait and watch because anything can happen. This guy has been the GM of the Devils for a long time and done as good with his franchise as any other franchise in the league since he's been there. Even if this move bombs, they'll find another coach in the offseason, lou will move back up to the front office and the Devils will be right there at the front of the pack again.

Lamoriello's a fool. The only reason I could see for him firing Claude Julien is for some personal reason, like he slept with his wife or something. Beyond that, this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

And even at that point, I'd wait until the end of the playoffs. The very real possibility of a Stanley Cup takes precedent over any affair. :D

Ditto to what Legionnaire just said. Lou's proven himself a shrewd, evil genious too many times in the past to write off this move right away.

I can't stand him, though. How appropriate is it that he's the GM of the Devils?

Wow, I have to find out where Lamiorello buys his weed.

That's some good stuff he smokes if it has these kind of effects....

We'll most likely never ever find out the real reason behind this..

if it's any other GM i'd say they're crazy. But with Lou, you just have to wait and watch because anything can happen. This guy has been the GM of the Devils for a long time and done as good with his franchise as any other franchise in the league since he's been there. Even if this move bombs, they'll find another coach in the offseason, lou will move back up to the front office and the Devils will be right there at the front of the pack again.

I have a feeling he may have a little bit more difficulty finding a new one this time around. Who's going to want to work for Lou when you could get fired at the drop of a hat, even when extremely successful? The only halfway decent people he's going to get behind that bench are going to be from "within" the organization (like Pat Burns coming back). Otherwise, it's going to be coaches desperate for a job with zero job security.

That said, I'm going to make a silly prediction... Ken Daneyko behind the bench. :P

This is just another indication that Lou Lamoriello is no longer alive and is currently being impersonated by either Mike Millbury or Mike Keenan. :P

This move reeks of desperation. This is the same as Pierre Lacroix making that horrendous trade for Theodore, because he thought he could recreate the Patrick Roy deal.

This is the same as Pierre Lacroix making that horrendous trade for Theodore, because he thought he could recreate the Patrick Roy deal.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this too. Lightning rarely strikes twice in the NHL.

I have a feeling he may have a little bit more difficulty finding a new one this time around. Who's going to want to work for Lou when you could get fired at the drop of a hat, even when extremely successful? The only halfway decent people he's going to get behind that bench are going to be from "within" the organization (like Pat Burns coming back). Otherwise, it's going to be coaches desperate for a job with zero job security.

That said, I'm going to make a silly prediction... Ken Daneyko behind the bench. :P

It'll be tougher, but they'll get someone. Lewis is on the hot seat right? Trotz too. That would be a lethal combination. Trotz is a defensive coach, going to the devils would be a perfect fit. Burns is probably a frontrunner as well.

Then again, Lou could take up the position for the full season.

From Hockeybuzz, random quotes from his interview on WFAN at 4pm today:

Lou...

"When you are in my position you know things that other people don't and I have to make my decisions based on that. I must live up to your responsibility to do what I think is necessary."

"This is not a problem that has just come in the last few games."

"I don't like the direction the team was going in...not ready for playoffs...too relaxed."

"The decision came down to what is right for the New Jersey Devils to have the best chance at success and you make the move for that reason. It is not personal, it is my responsibility to make the moves that I think will do that."

"Julien will remain in the organization"

"I saw things nobody else did"

"The team was not in right frame of mind."

Edited by T-Ruff

those quotes confirm what I suspected. The team wasn't as sharp as they should be heading into the playoffs, maybe some guys are getting lazy as the season winds down, taking shifts off or whatnot.

But putting the GM behind the bench makes every player 100x more accountable. They always are, but there's just something different when they guy who writes your contracts is in the stands and when he's behind the bench.

Brodeur talks about it in his book about the last time that Lou took over the coaches seat and how much pressure it put on all of the guys to perform.

Edited by Legionnaire11

Guest Tunbo Batman

in NJ, the coach is just a straw man...he decides nothing, he just plays the trap period. doesnt change a thing.

why would trotz be on the hot seat?

in NJ, the coach is just a straw man...he decides nothing, he just plays the trap period. doesnt change a thing.

why would trotz be on the hot seat?

Exactly. The Devils have gone through coaches like toilet paper, but every year they play the same exact style, that being the trap. I would be suprised if the Devils even hire another coach next season. Might as well just have Lou coach the team permanitly if he's going to be making firings with only a week of the season left to go.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Big coincidence that Lamoriello fired Julien right before the playoffs...... <_<

this guy just got bored being behind the scenes and wanted to be in the middle of the action just when things get the most intense. This move was made completely for selfish reasons

Edited by ShanahanMan