• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Datsyuk Signs 7-year, $46.9M Contract Extension

Rate this topic

No sir, I don't like it....way too f***in long, those contracts come back to bite in the ass, all the time

Exactly what they were saying on the radio. History speaks, in every sport.

But Holland, yknow, sees things differently, does things differently, and knows better than anyone. ;)

Ken Daniels was on XM about 45 minutes ago and raised a good point.

He says the Wings are most likely not going to pursue a new contract with Lang. That frees up $3.9M. Dats was making $3.8M. Combine those and you have Dats' new contract with $1M left over.

I think we can all agree that Datsyuk > 2 Robert Langs. :P

It would not have surprised me in the least to see Washington offer him a max deal in the offseason.

No team is stupid enough to offer a player the league max for this long, unless the player's name is Sidney Crosby. Not giving Datsyuk the oppurtunity to at least show us he's capable of having one good post-season before shelling out almost 50 million dollars is a big mistake, IMO.

Maybe this deal might look better towards the end of the contract, but keep in mind Datsyuk will be in his mid-30's by then, and we have no idea if he'll be the same player.

Regardless of how this looks in five to seven years, it looks does not look like the right move to me at the moment.

MISTAKE.

I would not have signed him for that long, and i am REALLY suprised Holland would do this. Now we are stuck with a guy who cant score a playoff goal for seven years. I would have given him 3 years for 15mill, no more.

Uhg, i am actually so disapointed right now, just think - If Datsyuks production tails off, which it probably will in 2-3 years, we are stuck with him and NO ONE will pick a 6+ million dollar per year contract. I am sorry i just dont see the long term benefit if this move. Datsyuk is good, not great and 7 years is TOO LONG!

This season Datsyuk has played hard in every facet of the game. He is a constant presence and does not disappear. There have been so many games where he is the only one on the scoresheet. Every D we play tries to key on him and this season, hasn't stopped him.

I am going to back off of my criticism of him last year in the playoffs because of some new details coming out about just how injured he was. I think he deserves the deal he got. More up front, but it'll look REALLY good in 2 years or less.

My prediction: Dats deal looks great in 2 years. Kronwall deal looks like money down the drain in 2 years.

Trust me ... I really want to believe that. I really want him to. I want him and Zets to be a devastating force for our team over the years to come. I think he has what it takes.

But with many, (I would imagine) in a salary cap world ... $6.7 Mill is a hell of a lot. That is Luongo's salary (roughly) So Dats has to be a cornerstone and hero to us, like he is to Van.

Funny .. all last summer, Luongo sucked. It's all you heard in here.

No way he deserves 6 million a year. Regular season stats mean nothing. Never won in the playoffs. Franchise-player tag be damn.

Ohhhh that's right, Pavel is already a Wing. Biased at it's best.

The would still have to pay to bring in a D-man to replace Kronwall. If he were ever healthy enough to play to his potential, he would be a bargain considering the premium defenseman seem to go for.

So that's bad news in terms of the cap next year. They'll take big cap hits for Lids and Datsyuk. It will definitely effect re-signing Bert if they choose too. And as I mentioned, then there's the goaltending situation. I'm not sure Hasek is good for another year. So we're looking at Ozzy as the starter unless they go out and bring in someone new, and I don't see how they have the money for that.

The clearest representation to me of this deal is that Datsyuk is now making the same money as Luongo. And he's just not the MVP of the team the way Luongo is.

:clap:

What Luongo has got absolutely nothing to do with anything. Throw out a random player's salary to prove a point?

Ok.

Brad Richards... 8M. Not even the 2nd best player on his team.

Overpaid. Like Datsyuk.

6.7 million, I don't care how back loaded this contract is. To say he's worth that type of money is a joke.

Thank God there's a few in here, who get it.

Edited by motorcitykid

Datsyuk is signed for 7 years vs Luongo's 4. Luongo gets $6 mil. $6.5 mil. $7 mil. and $7.5 mil. for those 4 years. Assuming the same progression, Luongo would make $8 mil. $8.5 mil. and $9mil. for the hypothetic years 5, 6, and 7 if he signed a 7 year contract. That averages to $52.5 mil. over 7 years or $7.5 mil. per year. And that contract started last year, if it was signed today, it would have been $0.5 mil. per year higher or $8 mil. per year. So please do not compare contracts of different lengths at face value.

I do agree that the Wings might need a goalie in the next 7 years, IF Howard doesn't work out. But if he does, then Osgood is more than capable of holding the fort for a year or two. And guys like Backstrom from MIN or Mason or Thibault or Niitymaki may become available as relatively cheap FAs in the foreseeable future.

so even with your adjustment, we're talking about an $800,000 difference. That still puts them up in the same universe.

Like I said, I'm guessing it's structured where he's not gonna be making 6.7 million next season, but that's still the hit against the cap.

Overall, this is just too long a deal in my book.

We can second guess this contract all day, but I am absolutely positive that someone would have given him this much (maybe not 7 years), in free agency, and we'd be left trying to bring someone else in and seeing how he produces, leaving a glaring hole in the lineup. Datsuyk is performing better than anyone expected. If he was productive in the playoffs, this wouldn't even be a question. So essentially, it's a bet that Stevie is right, and the playoff numbers are just an abberation. I like those odds.

Perhaps look at it this way...

With the current cap, this deal will look fairly large for the next year or two. In 3 years, when the cap is +5-10 mil from what it is now, and contracts are maxing out at 9-10 mil per season, this will look like one of our better contracts. Patience wins out in the end, and I for one am thrilled to see Dats locked up for years to come. The talk of him playing beside AO was nauseating to say the least.

MISTAKE.

I would not have signed him for that long, and i am REALLY suprised Holland would do this. Now we are stuck with a guy who cant score a playoff goal for seven years. I would have given him 3 years for 15mill, no more.

Uhg, i am actually so disapointed right now, just think - If Datsyuks production tails off, which it probably will in 2-3 years, we are stuck with him and NO ONE will pick a 6+ million dollar per year contract. I am sorry i just dont see the long term benefit if this move. Datsyuk is good, not great and 7 years is TOO LONG!

Reality check. Datsyuk was going to get much more than $5 mil. on the UFA market. Any deal not offering close to $6 mil. was a non-starter. So Holland compromized. He agreed to overpay for the first few years of the contract, and in exchange got Datsyuk for what will be below market price for the remainder of the 7 years.

The cap went up by by 10% per year so far (which means that the average salary rose at that rate too). A $6 mil. contract today will (at 10% rate of increase) become something like $ 10.63 mil. in 7 years.

In fact, if Datsyuk agreed to 7 consecutive one-year contracts, starting at only $4.943 mil. with a 10% increase every year, he would have earned $46.9 mil. over those 7 years.

Which is exactly the same as he will earn under this contract.

EDIT-math.

Edited by sibiriak

Regardless of how this looks in five to seven years, it looks does not look like the right move to me at the moment.

Nothing looks like the right move to half the people on this board. Holland gets criticised for everything he does. If Dats wasn't signed and left as a free agent the same people that dislike the deal would be bitching and moaning at Holland for not getting him. As a whole we're getting more and more like Yankee fans.....lose a few games and the goddamn world is ending. Make a signing, and it's just a bad move......People thought the Bert and Calder moves were pointless and they've worked out fine.....people complained when we couldn't get Loungo....it's not a video game, there's other varaibles in the process. Holland has a tough job, and weather some will admit it, he does a hell of a job and we're lucky to have him.

I can see it now though....if Pavel doesn't get a 150 points and win the Conn Smythe for 7 straight years, someone on here will see the deal as a complete failure.

LOL...I told my Wife and her Parents that the Hull comments on Dats were completely foolish, but they looked at me as if I were crazy! I'm going to have fun rubbing this one in...thanks to LGW :)

I like it...we obviously expect him to be the Franchise Guy for some time....the contract may be big, but if he didn't get it from us, he'd have gotten it somewhere else. I have faith in Holland!

This deal could be a major steal for us in the long run, or a bust (obvioulsy).

I think it has better potential of working out well for us than not. But I'm excited to get to watch Datsyuk for the next 7 years. He's one of the most exciting players to watch IMO.

If Dats wasn't signed and left as a free agent the same people that dislike the deal would be bitching and moaning at Holland for not getting him.

Depends on who he signed instead.

People thought the Bert and Calder moves were pointless and they've worked out fine.

Bertuzzi hasn't proved anything. And his health will remain an issue, when he looks for a new deal this summer.

Some thought Kyle was like a throw-in or whatever, but if you knew his game, and his days back to junior coming up, there's some of us who did like the addition.

I can see it now though....if Pavel doesn't get a 150 points and win the Conn Smythe for 7 straight years, someone on here will see the deal as a complete failure.

It's the name of the game, when you're paid star money. Edited by motorcitykid

LOL...I told my Wife and her Parents that the Hull comments on Dats were completely foolish, but they looked at me as if I were crazy! I'm going to have fun rubbing this one in...thanks to LGW :)

I like it...we obviously expect him to be the Franchise Guy for some time....the contract may be big, but if he didn't get it from us, he'd have gotten it somewhere else. I have faith in Holland!

LMAO I love your username.

Meh.

I say boo on the length and the amount.

But, I don't run the team, I just cheer for 'em. Kenny Holland doesn't tell me how to fight fires, I guess I should return the favor regarding managing the greatest hockey club in the world.

I wish it were incentive based, but I'm guessing it's guaranteed money.