• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chaldean

Non-Michigan fans: How did you become a Wings fan?

Rate this topic

I grew up in South Texas playing Soccer all my life. I never really enjoyed the mainstream sports like Football, Baseball, and Basketball that much, though I am a big sports fan in general. Needless to say, I didn't get much exposure to hockey living where I did, but one night I watched the Detroit Red Wings on ESPN and became an instant fan. It was 1994 and Steve, Sergei, and the gang had me hooked. I was on the road to Phoenix during game 4 of the SCF in 1997 but was listening on ESPN radio and that win cemented me as a Red Wing fan for life. Players come and go and the face of the team changes from time to time, but no matter. The winged wheel prevails. The history, the culture, the attitude . . . it's all like no other.

Well when i was a kid, i use to live in IL and bout only games that were brodcasted were damn blackhawks games, and there is no way in hell ill cheer for a team from chicago.

Then when i was 6 we moved to st louis, and started watchin boos games and just couldnt really get into them, this was around 89 and the news picked up on yzermans big season what was it around 65 goals and he instantly became a fav of mine.

I think it was around 91 or so we got one of the huge primestar dishes and got to watch alot of the redwings games, and been following them ever since.

Its hard living in st louis and your fav hockey team is the redwings, kinda rubs some people the wrong way. Ive had beer bottles thrown at me, beer thrown on me, trash tossed at me, i remember some nachos hitting me during the 96 playoffs i believe it was.

Would you believe even at brett hull night i had death threats all night i just reminded the fans what do st louis blues players do to win a cup, they go to detroit. Kinda rubs the shanny and hull fans the wrong way

I grew up in South Texas playing Soccer all my life. I never really enjoyed the mainstream sports like Football, Baseball, and Basketball that much, though I am a big sports fan in general. Needless to say, I didn't get much exposure to hockey living where I did, but one night I watched the Detroit Red Wings on ESPN and became an instant fan. It was 1994 and Steve, Sergei, and the gang had me hooked. I was on the road to Phoenix during game 4 of the SCF in 1997 but was listening on ESPN radio and that win cemented me as a Red Wing fan for life. Players come and go and the face of the team changes from time to time, but no matter. The winged wheel prevails. The history, the culture, the attitude . . . it's all like no other.

man im with you, never really liked the mainstream sports at all

Ooh. :o

I'm from Chicago and I grew up with a Dad who idolized the Blackhawks. He'd make me go to the games with him and he'd dress me up in shirts that said "Blackhawks Girl" and stuff. XD I liked hockey, but I always wanted some kind of reaction from my Dad because he is funny when he's pissed. Growing up my Dad's favorite phrase was "Detroit Sucks," so I adopted the Wings as my own in order to make my Dad angry. After a while, though, I started to love the Wings...they were the first team I'd ever rooted for, etc., so they became "mine" in a way.

Hmm. This sounds like the memoir of an 80 year old woman.

>_>

Ooh.

I'm from Chicago and I grew up with a Dad who idolized the Blackhawks. He'd make me go to the games with him and he'd dress me up in shirts that said "Blackhawks Girl" and stuff. XD I liked hockey, but I always wanted some kind of reaction from my Dad because he is funny when he's pissed. Growing up my Dad's favorite phrase was "Detroit Sucks," so I adopted the Wings as my own in order to make my Dad angry. After a while, though, I started to love the Wings...they were the first team I'd ever rooted for, etc., so they became "mine" in a way.

Hmm. This sounds like the memoir of an 80 year old woman.

so it safe to say you also agree to hell with the blackhawks

Well, I was a huge Gretzky fan as a little kid. I remained loyal to Wayne right through his retirement, BUT ... when he was traded to St. Louis I was watching them in the Playoffs. They came up against Detroit, and obviously I knew who Yzerman was, but when he scored that winning goal in triple OT. I really took a shine to him, and the team. The very next season I followed them much more, and ... they won the Cup. (Yeah, I came on at the right time) I loved Yzerman, Shanny, and Fedorov. The only two jersey numbers I have worn over the last 10 years have been 19 and 91. May highlight as a Red Wing fan was the 02' Playoffs. I live in BC, so when Detroit met Van in the first round it was amazing. I was taunted and booed when Van was up 2-0 in the series, but as we all now, Stevey Y turned it up. I knwo lots of ppl like to remember Steve from his younger days when he was ripping up the score sheet, but that playoff run was the reason I loved Steve some much. The times have changed, the faces are new, but the logo remains the same ... and I love my Wings.

My father grew up in Kalamazoo and has been a Red Wings fan from the 1950's and his hero was Gordie Howe and I basically inherited it from him.

Living in Britain it wasn't easy to follow the NHL until the last decade or so through satellite TV & the internet so was really only the mid 90's that I became a Red Wings fan, although I really started to get into hockey in the early 90's thanks to the EA Sports hockey games!!

Still have family in Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo & Detroit so try to get to games whenever I'm over on holiday.

If you are ever over in London and see someone wearing a Red Wings jersey there is a fair chance that it is me :lol:

How I became a Redwings fan.

I was a casual fan untill a fatefull trip to detroit in the spring of 97.

Some friends and I drove up to watch the Tigers play seattle. We wanted to check out Tiger stadium and see Griffey Jr. play. The Wings were playing in the finals. During the Tiger's game they had the Wings on the Big Screen.

We went to Windsor that night and partied. And I was overtaken by the party atmosphere and the support for the Wings. The fact that Ohio didn't have a team at the time. Made me gravitate towards the Wings. Yes i was a bandwagon fan to start. The Detroit/ Avs series pulled me in deeper. . But I still root for the Wings 10 years later.

As a side note. Its weird being a hockey fan in Dayton. I regurally go to Bomber's (ECHL) games. And the Storm is the hated team. So I'm torn between the "Big Brother" that I love(the Wings). And the "little brother" that i disgust(Toledo). Although when the Bomber's play the Storm there are a lot of Wings jersey's which kinda makes me smile.

However i've come to a conclusion. The bomber's are a decent finess team. Their major league counterparts (Blowjackets), not soo much. Toledo is a very good ,physical, and goonish team. If both teams would take something from their minor league teams, they might be better off. Although the Wings came out hitting hard the other night. And the addition of Bertuzzi will help out he goon factor.

And that is how i became a fan. With some bonus commentary, lol

hi @ll!

i'm from switzerland and my english is not good, but i try it.

the reason why i'am a wings fan is nhl 97 from ea sports :cool:

there was a nice, great player in that game, called sergei fedorov. he was beside of forsberg one of the greatest player. and he played for the detroit red wings :D

so with the internet and all that, i had the chance to learn more about the wings and so my love for this organisations grew up!

by the time, i became a fan of the other players, like lidstrom, shanahan and since 2002: ZETTERBERG :clap:

the depart of fedorov was a shock, but after all, im happy now with datsyuk, zets and all the other young guys!

in switzerland i can forget somthing like tv presence for the nhl, and so the only way for me is reading the freep, mlive and this forum, beside of listening to the radio and download the past games over at 5hole :-)

ih hope my english is not tooo bad! greetings from switzerland and LET'S GO RED WINGS!

Edited by swiss_redwingfan

hi @ll!

there was a nice, great player in that game, called sergei fedorov. he was beside of forsberg one of the greatest player. and he played for the detroit red wings :D

so with the internet and all that, i had the chance to learn more about the wings and so my love for this organisations grew up!

by the time, i became a fan of the other players, like lidstrom, shanahan and since 2002: ZETTERBERG :clap:

the depart of fedorov was a shock, but after all, im happy now with datsyuk, zets and all the other young guys!

in switzerland i can forget somthing like tv presence for the nhl, and so the only way for me is reading the freep, mlive and this forum, beside of listening to the radio and download the past games over at 5hole :-)

ih hope my english is not tooo bad! greetings from switzerland and LET'S GO RED WINGS!

That's awesome!!! :clap:

I'm from Austin Tx, and grew up watching the Redwings on ESPN. They were always on, and really ever since I saw a game where Yzerman scored right off the face off, I've been a diehard fan. Later, my family actually moved to Flint, Mi for 6 years. We tiried to go to the Joe for games, but could never get enough tickets for the whole family together. Had to settle for crappy Flint Spirit games. Though it was cool seeing Mike Richter play before getting called up to the Rangers. Even played a 2 seasons of high school hockey while I was there. We moved back to Texas after sophmore year in high school, but needless to say, I still live and die with every Redwings win or loss, and bled Wolverine blue. I even make my wife drive to Dallas every time the WIngs play the stars ( it was awesome winning both games here this season).

Love this forum. keep up the great posts.

Redwing Fan in Austin.

I'm from Chicago and I grew up with a Dad who idolized the Blackhawks.

I was born in Edmonton and my dad has always lived and breathed the Edmonton Oilers. I do not think he will ever give up last year's first round. :huh: Oh well, where are the Oilers now dad? :lol:

I live just outside of toledo ohio and ever since i was little my dad and i always rooted for the team closest to us, and detroit is olny like an hour away so it was either the wings or the blackhawks i guess and the jackets werent around then...not a tough choice, but reading all theese posts from people from texas and london and switzerland, that must suck to not be able to watch ur favorite team all that much, i never thought about that...

Guest LivingtheDream

hi @ll!

You are a great fan and it is great to have you hear on the forum. I will think of you before I make any more stupid posts! :-)

Edited by LivingtheDream

I'm another cheater. Born and raised in the Tri-City area until last year.

I am doing my best to plant seeds here in Gainesville, I've created at least one new hockey fan and dozens of people who will think "Detroit Red Wings" if they hear the word hockey...

Guest octopusdank

born and raised red, originally from cali currently in az, i hate the coyotes!!! i love going twice a year to watch my wings beat em and hearing leeeeeeeeetttttsssss goooooooooo reeeeeeeeeddd wiiiiiiiiiiiiiingggggggs

I started watching hockey in 1995-96 during the Stanley Cup Finals when The Avs played the Panthers, and I just liked the Avs because they won. We lived in North Carolina at the time, and the next year when the Wings won, I liked them too. I was young and had absolutely no idea about the brawl, so they were my two favorite teams. When we moved to Michigan, and I was in a sports card shop, an employee asked me who my favorite team was, and I told him that I had two: the Red Wings and the Avalanche! I have never seen a more surprised facial expression in my life. That, combined with the convenience of having Fox Sports Detroit in my living room to keep track of the Wings cemented me as a lifelong Wings fan. And, yes, I realize that it's all because of the 97 cup, but, oh well. I didn't watch hockey before that, and I haven't changed teams since, no matter who's won.

Word,

LDi03

Guest Tunbo Batman

I was abused by the Montreal Canadiens as a child (only crap we had on TV cuz you know, satellites were a pipe dream and all.)

So basically in the early 90s i caught them on TV for the first time and went HOLY BAJEEZUS H ******* CHRIST ARE THEY GOOD OR WHAT LOLOZORZ!!!!1!!11ONE. Seriously, I never thought that hockey could look that good if you had a team that actually could complete passes and make exciting plays, and win by scoring more goals rather than dumpîng the puck all game long.

And so i started to look actively for Wings games on TV, and i learned to know the players, and i liked the team spirit, and the solidity of the core, and the personlaities of the gys on that team. It just went from there. Of course all the success was a big plus, but that's only a secondary effect to having great scouting and negociators to find guys like Feds in the 3rd round and then keep them on your team for 13 years.

Today with the internet and all I'm happy cause i have access to almost every Wings game and they still keep me entertained :D While The Habs delve deeper and deeper into mediocrity and relishing past glory, the WIngs just bring it year in year out with superior coaching, ambience and work ethic. Also, Wings fans, althoug very numerous, are generally not noisy or obnovious, which i find relaxing and a change from the monkeys we have in Montreal :P

I got into hockey around 1989-1990. I got the first NHL game for my Sega Genesis, started to learn the teams and players, watched highlights, etc. I was really impressed by Yzerman and started to follow him and the Wings and have been a fan ever since. They are the only NHL team I've ever rooted for. I was never into the Kings or Ducks out here in So Cal.

My best friend and I started playing hockey in the 8th grade and we had a coach that knew Sergi Federov. From that point on, we followed Federov over the course of his career. So naturally, I became a Wings fan. The only other choice I had was to be a blues fan. Needless to say, I am happy with my choice 14 years later.

I happen to live first 25 years of my life in the city where Sergei Fedorov was born. I still watch him play for Anaheim and now Columbus but I remain Red Wings fan.

Also since early nineties there always was a contingent of very good Russian hockey players in Detroit.

Guest KocurvsProbert

My first post.. From a smaller town in B.C called Kelowna. Like alot of people I became a wings fan in 1983 when a young kid named Stevie Y joined the ranks of the NHL. Also helped a bit more when the Bruise Brothers came along.