• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Post-GAME 6: 4/21 Red Wings 2, Flames 1 (2OT)

Rate this topic

Definitely a good tune up for the rest of the playoffs. This was an extremely tough series and I believe that we match up well with the rest of the teams left in the west.

We had a lot of guys with some things to prove and I think this was a good start to dispelling some of those things.

First, I have to say that Andreas Lilja earned his paycheck. He really played well. A lot of us gave him a lot of grief all season long, but he stepped up and really jacked his game up a couple of notches. Good job Andreas! :clap:

Second, Dom wanted to come back and prove he still had it in him at age 42. I'd say he proved he's still got it. And speaking of age, Chris Chelios can play til he's 145 as long as he keeps playing as good as he did.

I'm still holding judgement on Robert Lang and Mikael Samuelsson. Robert redeemed himself a little tonight, but Sammy, what are we gonna do with you? :rolleyes:

The kids are alright. Jiri, Brett and Valtteri were marvelous. Especially Valtteri. This kid could be a star.

And last but not least...here's to you, Pasha, for getting the monkey off your back and shining through. You really did me proud. :wub:

I knew today would be a good day when I saw a bald eagle flying, and won $20 on one of the Red Wings lottery tickets. Damned if it didn't turn out that way!

On to the next round. We live to fight another day.

I have a joke for everyone ..its the best i got..im pretty drunk!!...here it goes...

Mats Sundin, Saku Koivu and Jarome Iginla all meet at the golf course....................ahhhh s*** I forget the rest!!! :lol:

just got home got to see all the game to the third period, and just got to watch the OTs and what a damn game, and how about franzen netting the game winner, and those who say karma doesnt excist.

Sweet Victory!

I too hope Homer is able to bounce back. I couldn't see anything but the towel over his face. While he did go to the hospital, he did sit on the bench momentarily, so I imagine it wasn't THAT urgent of a cut.

Edited by Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Don't know if anybody will agree with me, but the moment I saw Franzen's goal, it made me think of Yzerman's 2OT goal against John Casey. Yzerman had less traffic in front of him, and I think he shot over the other shoulder, but both of them were important top shelf gems.

Sweet Victory!

I too hope Homer is able to bounce back. I couldn't see anything but the towel over his face. While he did go to the hospital, he did sit on the bench momentarily, so I imagine it wasn't THAT urgent of a cut.

The announcers said it was a precautionary thing since he was cut so close to the eye. Just for examination hopefully. You never know sometimes, but I think we can expect him back for Round 2.

Don't know if anybody will agree with me, but the moment I saw Franzen's goal, it made me think of Yzerman's 2OT goal against John Casey. Yzerman had less traffic in front of him, and I think he shot over the other shoulder, but both of them were important top shelf gems.

not even close. Yzerman's was a game 7 2OT goal. If the Blues scored then, the season would have been over. Not as much pressure in this game.

my thoughts:

LILJA: 10 times better than i've ever seen him play. EVER. he realllly stepped up and showed he deserves to start. got some time on the pk too which shows how impressed babs was too.

QUINCEY: just awesome. in two years i expect him to be 2-3rd line d man with this club (or be traded for another role player the wings need).

BERT: earned his spot. hit well, passed well. made good hockey decisions. an asset for sure.

DATSYUK: man did he earn his money. i was kind of on the fence about handing him huge money BEFORE he proved he deserved it. but i'll eat my crow and say he was just fantastic.

ZETTS: still something to prove in round 2 IMO, but this is due soley to his injury and rustyness after missing 20 games. his 3 pt game five should be proof enough he's gonna start lighting the lamp a lot more real soon.

DOM: less than kipper of course but still real solid. maybe 1-3 goals in the series can be pegged on him. and on back to back nights he played awesome. his unorthadox style is fun to watch.

BABS: A++ for taking this thing by the reigns after game 4. he showed me he really knows how to coach. SOMEHOW sitting REX in away games was the right thing to do??? i dont know. but whatever the formula was, it worked. wings dominated both games 1,2,5, and 6 and if it weren't for kipper it would have ended sooner.

FRANZENSTEIN: WAY TO GO SHOWING THOSE FLAMERS HOW WE DO IT IN THE BIG D. mess with the mule, he makes you a tool. way to go with that amazing shot. payback is a *****.

MVP: should go to kipper (LBH he played out of his mind) but i gotta give it to a wing so...

MIKE BABCOCK. he rallied the troops and kept his head in the game. props to him.

HERES TO ROUND TWO. BRING ON TURCO!!!! (god i hope its dallas).

Good series guys!

I really thought we were going to pull out a win last night. Our rookie Moss had the open net but sailed the shot over the net, too bad for him that will probably haunt him for a while. Even if we had pushed the series to seven I didn't like our chances one bit in Detroit. It still would have been nice to push the series a little farther. Detroit is definitly the better team, and Calgary got out classed and out played.

Like I called, a much calmer game last night. I hope some of you have cooled down and don't think Calgary is just a goon squad out injure your whole line up anymore. Lots of Flames fans are calling for Playfair's head today, but I don't think that will happen. I would fault some of the problems with this team and series on him. But the brunt of the failure should fall on the team and the leaders in that team.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of moving around this summer for the Flames, with all the contracts ending and such. The Flames have such a great team on paper. 4 players with 70+ points. Most defence men with a great plus/minus, plus an all start goalie. So overall it was a disappointing season. With the Flames doing so poorly on the road and so great at home there is obviously something quite wrong with them, although no one can seem to put their finger on it.

Anyways. Good luck Detroit in the next round against either San Jose or Dallas. I think you'll have a better chance against the Stars personally.

Cheers,

Burninator

I really thought we were going to pull out a win last night. Our rookie Moss had the open net but sailed the shot over the net, too bad for him that will probably haunt him for a while.

Dom actually claims Moss shot it off his helmet, technically a save then, but it's still marked as a missed shot officially, for now.

Just a point of interest.

Anyways, Burninator, nothing but respect for you guys. I think your Flames are dirty good for nothings, but I would be remiss in my duties as a fan to hold it against you for cheering and defending them.

my thoughts:

LILJA: 10 times better than i've ever seen him play. EVER. he realllly stepped up and showed he deserves to start. got some time on the pk too which shows how impressed babs was too.

QUINCEY: just awesome. in two years i expect him to be 2-3rd line d man with this club (or be traded for another role player the wings need).

BERT: earned his spot. hit well, passed well. made good hockey decisions. an asset for sure.

DATSYUK: man did he earn his money. i was kind of on the fence about handing him huge money BEFORE he proved he deserved it. but i'll eat my crow and say he was just fantastic.

ZETTS: still something to prove in round 2 IMO, but this is due soley to his injury and rustyness after missing 20 games. his 3 pt game five should be proof enough he's gonna start lighting the lamp a lot more real soon.

DOM: less than kipper of course but still real solid. maybe 1-3 goals in the series can be pegged on him. and on back to back nights he played awesome. his unorthadox style is fun to watch.

BABS: A++ for taking this thing by the reigns after game 4. he showed me he really knows how to coach. SOMEHOW sitting REX in away games was the right thing to do??? i dont know. but whatever the formula was, it worked. wings dominated both games 1,2,5, and 6 and if it weren't for kipper it would have ended sooner.

FRANZENSTEIN: WAY TO GO SHOWING THOSE FLAMERS HOW WE DO IT IN THE BIG D. mess with the mule, he makes you a tool. way to go with that amazing shot. payback is a *****.

MVP: should go to kipper (LBH he played out of his mind) but i gotta give it to a wing so...

MIKE BABCOCK. he rallied the troops and kept his head in the game. props to him.

HERES TO ROUND TWO. BRING ON TURCO!!!! (god i hope its dallas).

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol::clap: