• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

aarond

Doom and gloomers

Rate this topic

If they dont get the PP going its gonna be tough to move on from this round.

We were fortunate we had a huge talent edge over Calgary.

Anyone who thinks the Wings can move on and not score on 4 min power plays is in for a rude awakening.

This is a stupid thread. I know it is nice to say you support your team through everything but this is coming across like a show-off and at that, showing off to people who support the same team as you. I didnt cry for the worlds end when Calgary won 3 and 4, I still said we would win, though I was uneasy with the momentum swing.

It happens in the playoffs, people get nervous, jump to quickly sometimes. There were a select few Very negative comments which I'll agree with you on, but for the most part, we are all Wings fans, lets not pick on eachother and point fingers and just cheer for our team to continue on through the playoffs.

Go Wings!

I'll sure eat my crow (I was a huge doubter but didn't display it on here), but it's much easier to take a loss when it is expected, and when the team wins, that's so much better!

To say we're bandwagon fans is bulls***, people can't help it if they're pessimists or optimists...

I'll sure eat my crow (I was a huge doubter but didn't display it on here), but it's much easier to take a loss when it is expected, and when the team wins, that's so much better!

To say we're bandwagon fans is bulls***, people can't help it if they're pessimists or optimists...

Thank you.

But I will say that I had a very good feeling going into last nights OT. The Wings looked a lot 'hungrier' and determined than they had entering the 3rd period of game 4.

If anything, there are fans here who are braindead followers. They have no clue how the team is built, or the intangibles the team has. They simply put on their replica jersey and yell "Go Wings! I love the Wings! Stevie's so hot! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!". That's a fan alright, albeit a dumb one.

Just because I wrote them off doesn't mean I'm any less than a fan. I've been a Tiger fan for years too. In 2003, I told people, we won't make the playoffs. I guess I wasn't a true fan then either eh? Nevermind that they had an abysmal lineup, with questionable pitching and managing. But I guess to be a true fan, you should just stick your head in the sand and say "We're awesome! Go Tigers! We can never lose a game! Bless you boys!!!".

If that's the case then I guess the Lions don't have any "TRUE" fans either because I've yet to find one that has told me that they will win the Super Bowl this year. What a bunch of fickle fans!!!

nice post. being a fan is fun... being a fan is complaining, being a fan is being relieved when you're proven wrong, being a fan is rejoicing when it all comes together. If you ask me, this thread is about being a cheerleader more than a fan. To me, message boards are for fans to be fans and attending a game is for fans to be cheerleaders.

I wasn't a "Doom and Gloomer", but I was very disapointed after Game 4 and very nerous before Game 5. I almost didn't watch Game 5 because of the past two Game 5's at home. Obviously I'm very happy I did :D , what a game!!

With our recent playoff history, you can't blame Wings fans for being upset about Games 3 + 4.

I agree and then I disagree on some points.

It's fine to criticize your team to a point, but some on here went completely oveboard. Saying the series was over after they lost ONE game, and even before the series some were saying they have no chance against the all mighty powerful/tough Flames. Sorry, but if you are a fan you BELIEVE in your team, and stick with them through it all. Be it losses, wins, injuries, etc... There is no need for some of the things that are said on here after games. It's ridiculous. For instance, after Game 4 I recall someone saying "HASEK f-ing SUCKS" and that Lidstrom was horrible etc. Honestly? What the hell is that? I just don't understand why people think it's necessarry to call out and BASH their team because they string a few losses in a series. I get that everyone was scared due to prior post seasons, but still some of the things said were outrageous and really made us Wings fans look like crap. It's the playoffs, anything can happen and thats what everyone needs to realize. Stick with em through it all..that's all there is to it.

I agree and then I disagree on some points.

It's fine to criticize your team to a point, but some on here went completely oveboard. Saying the series was over after they lost ONE game, and even before the series some were saying they have no chance against the all mighty powerful/tough Flames. Sorry, but if you are a fan you BELIEVE in your team, and stick with them through it all. Be it losses, wins, injuries, etc... There is no need for some of the things that are said on here after games. It's ridiculous. For instance, after Game 4 I recall someone saying "HASEK f-ing SUCKS" and that Lidstrom was horrible etc. Honestly? What the hell is that? I just don't understand why people think it's necessarry to call out and BASH their team because they string a few losses in a series. I get that everyone was scared due to prior post seasons, but still some of the things said were outrageous and really made us Wings fans look like crap. It's the playoffs, anything can happen and thats what everyone needs to realize. Stick with em through it all..that's all there is to it.

Well said :clap:

After the wings lost game 4, there were droves of Wings fans ripping the team's effort, predicting the Wings' demise in this series, etc. Why? Because they had just lost the second one-goal game on the road to one of the toughest home teams the NHL had this season. It was completely irrational and completely unjustified. Are you all embarassed for yourselves now? The Wings completely smothered the Flames in games one two, then they lost two very close, very hotly contested games on the road to a very good home team. The balance of the series was still in favor of Detroit. And after games 5 and 6, there is absolutely no doubt that Detroit was far better than Calgary. But hockey is a flukey sport. A bounce of the puck here or there can make such a drastic difference in the outcome of a game, and that confuses fans. After a loss, you get fans coming on here pushing the usual, tired cliches: they didn't want it badly enough; they're getting 'outworked'; they're getting outplayed; they have no heart; they're not tough enough; etc. and so forth. It's ridiculous. With a bounce of the puck this way or that, the score after game 4 of the series could have been 4-0 in favor of Detroit just as easily as it was 2-2. Those were close games. A couple breaks our way, and we could have won either one of them or both. But I said it after game 4: there are a ton of fickle Wings fans. They'll jump off the bandwagon at the first hint of adversity.

get over yourself.

I just hope the next round doesn't give the doom-and-gloomers any reason to come back!
Here's hoping :) , but even if we win they'll still find something to moan about. <_<
Unfortunately, the only way to keep them happy is to get dodecahedral on everyone's ass (i.e., win 12 games in a row) - and you know that's not going to happen.

I'm sure there were people out there who thought we were going to suck in 1997-98 because we couldn't hold on for the shutout in Game 4. :hehe:

Guest Crymson

After the wings lost game 4, there were droves of Wings fans ripping the team's effort, predicting the Wings' demise in this series, etc. Why? Because they had just lost the second one-goal game on the road to one of the toughest home teams the NHL had this season. It was completely irrational and completely unjustified. Are you all embarassed for yourselves now? The Wings completely smothered the Flames in games one two, then they lost two very close, very hotly contested games on the road to a very good home team. The balance of the series was still in favor of Detroit. And after games 5 and 6, there is absolutely no doubt that Detroit was far better than Calgary. But hockey is a flukey sport. A bounce of the puck here or there can make such a drastic difference in the outcome of a game, and that confuses fans. After a loss, you get fans coming on here pushing the usual, tired cliches: they didn't want it badly enough; they're getting 'outworked'; they're getting outplayed; they have no heart; they're not tough enough; etc. and so forth. It's ridiculous. With a bounce of the puck this way or that, the score after game 4 of the series could have been 4-0 in favor of Detroit just as easily as it was 2-2. Those were close games. A couple breaks our way, and we could have won either one of them or both. But I said it after game 4: there are a ton of fickle Wings fans. They'll jump off the bandwagon at the first hint of adversity.

Yeah, they'll be back.. and then I'll have to begin regulating again. :zzz:

I agree, some people were giving up on our wings so easily. but now that they have won they shut up and jumped back on the wagon. people like that upset me

We should start a list and sticky it, with evidence.

Edited by Crymson

I actually agree with you on that. Fear of losing is part of fandom. But like you said, calling out the team's supposed lack of heart, desire, calling for the coach's head, etc., is irrational and knee-jerky. Once again, hockey can be a flukey sport at times. It's one of the only sports where your team can totally dominate and outplay a team but still lose because of certain equalizers, such as a hot goalie or a bad break. Just because you lost doesn't mean you didn't try, it doesn't necessarily mean you lack heart, or got outworked, or any crap like that. The Wings have had early exits in recent years, but if all of those teams that beat us went to the Finals and lost in 7. They all had hot goaltenders. And they all got ridiculously outshot by the Wings in those series. So yes, fear of losing is always legit. But the brazen personal criticism of the Wings, essentially implying that they lack character and manhood, was obnoxious. It's embarassing.

BUT so is constantly showing up to shove this stuff in their faces. Just cool it dude. Everyone knows which of us panic and which don't, but the classy people DON'T rub everyones noses in it. I never panic and dis the Wings, but I also don't post smug threads mocking others for doing so.

I do, however, respect the quality of your spelling and grammar as well as your ability to eloquently express your points (hell we need that around here!)

I admit, I was worried about the 'heart' and desire to battle through and win. I am eating some crow now, too... happily! I just had not seen them really battle in a long time.

Oh, we're still here. But I stand by my past statements. Detroit played much differently in games 1,2,5 and 6 than they did in games 3 and 4. Nick Lidstrom said as much himself.

I'm just glad that the Wings realised what they had done wrong in those games to correct it.

Yep and thats because Lidstrom if anyone played terrible in 3 and 4. I like how he takes it upon himself though.

Hey, the wings did play s***ty those first two games in calgary... the same play style that got us knocked out in the first round last year. I still am not happy with how we played in games 3 and 4.... we can't do it again agasint Dallas/SJ. Its not doom and gloom, just more of: we need to play better in Calgary to put away this series without a Game 7.

For those of you who have criticized me for starting this thread because you think I'm being smug, or trying to rub people's noses in it, essentially saying "I told you so," you're missing my point. I'm not trying to say "I told you so," because the Wings could have easily lost this series. And they could easily lose the next series. In fact, I don't think they're going to win the Stanley Cup this year. I'm not saying that games 5 and 6 prove me right. My point is this: to come on here and say that the Wings lost because "they didn't want it" or "they didn't work hard enough" or "they had no heart" is such clichéd knee-jerky nonsense. The Wings effort was high throughout the series. They didn't lose games 3 or 4 because of lack of effort. For that matter, they didn't lose to the Oilers last year, the Flames the playoff before that, and the Ducks the year before that because of a "lack of effort" or "not wanting it enough." People who automatically resort to those clichés after a loss don't understand hockey, IMO. Sometimes the better team doesn't get rewarded in hockey. It's a flukey sport at times and things like a hot goaltender and some bad breaks can equalize things for lesser teams, with or without a difference in effort.

I'm not saying "don't criticize your team." I'm not saying that you're not a real fan unless you are blindly optimistic at all times. What I'm saying is that not every loss is due to lack of effort, lack of heart, lack of hunger, etc. So to come on here and automatically resort to what essentially amounts to calling the Red Wings a bunch of girls is ridiculous. And there was a lot of that stuff going on after game 4. Also, a lot of fans are fickle. After games 1 and 2, the Wings could do no wrong. Then they go on the road against a very good home team and lose two very close games by one goal each (in a sport that has a small margin of error to begin with) and all of a sudden, we had an array of Wings fans that needed to be talked down from the ledge. It was embarrassing.

For those of you who have criticized me for starting this thread because you think I'm being smug, or trying to rub people's noses in it, essentially saying "I told you so," you're missing my point. I'm not trying to say "I told you so," because the Wings could have easily lost this series. And they could easily lose the next series. In fact, I don't think they're going to win the Stanley Cup this year. I'm not saying that games 5 and 6 prove me right. My point is this: to come on here and say that the Wings lost because "they didn't want it" or "they didn't work hard enough" or "they had no heart" is such clichéd knee-jerky nonsense. The Wings effort was high throughout the series. They didn't lose games 3 or 4 because of lack of effort. For that matter, they didn't lose to the Oilers last year, the Flames the playoff before that, and the Ducks the year before that because of a "lack of effort" or "not wanting it enough." People who automatically resort to those clichés after a loss don't understand hockey, IMO. Sometimes the better team doesn't get rewarded in hockey. It's a flukey sport at times and things like a hot goaltender and some bad breaks can equalize things for lesser teams, with or without a difference in effort.

I'm not saying "don't criticize your team." I'm not saying that you're not a real fan unless you are blindly optimistic at all times. What I'm saying is that not every loss is due to lack of effort, lack of heart, lack of hunger, etc. So to come on here and automatically resort to what essentially amounts to calling the Red Wings a bunch of girls is ridiculous. And there was a lot of that stuff going on after game 4. Also, a lot of fans are fickle. After games 1 and 2, the Wings could do no wrong. Then they go on the road against a very good home team and lose two very close games by one goal each (in a sport that has a small margin of error to begin with) and all of a sudden, we had an array of Wings fans that needed to be talked down from the ledge. It was embarrassing.

Am I a bad verbal sparring partner if I actually agree with that post? :blush:

Being worried or being critical of the team is one thing. I can even roll along and keep quiet with continuous bashing threads of guys like Lang or Samuelsson, even though it gets extremely old and annoying after a while.

Some of the posts I saw after game 4 were a wee bit ridiculous though. I'm talking about posts that were waving white flags declaring mercy and saying the team is done for, when they haven't even trailed in the series yet for crying out loud. And don't tell me that I'm making this stuff up, I definitely saw a few responses like that here/there and even a thread dedicated to it saying the Wings were done.

I'm not going to be idiotic and say, "Yeah, the series just tied up after a big lead, there's no concern though", but have a little faith, the series wasn't even close to being over yet at the time.

And don't tell me that I'm making this stuff up, I definitely saw a few responses like that here/there and even a thread dedicated to it saying the Wings were done.

THAT'S GREAT. IT HAPPENS AND WILL HAPPEN UNTIL THE END OF TIME.

WE'RE IN THE 2ND ROUND. MOVE ON, EVERYONE.