• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AFwinger

bench bert article today

Rate this topic

Yeah we're down one game in a best of seven. Sitting Bert sounds like a great plan. Pavs didn't score last game either, so maybe we should bench him too. Seriously guys, if anyone thinks sitting Bert is a good idea, well... I'll just leave it at that. I wouldn't want to upset all of the hockey experts on this site...

This article pretty much points out why I didn't want Bertuzzi at the trade deadline. That being said, you can't blame him for the Wings' losses. Bertuzzi has been instrumental in creating some major momentum shifts in this playoff run (i.e. the Phaneuf takedown) as well as put up some decent points for having not played for months. I don't think benching our biggest guy against this fatass Sharks team will help our chances at all.

Guest Agalloch

This board is ******* RIDICULOUS sometimes. One player has one bad game, or if we lose a game, we get twenty threads saying how a certain player should be benched. It happens every time. One mistake around here means a benching. Absolutely ridiculous. Stop crying because we lost ONE game. It's a team effort, and they collectively lost the game.

And whoever said that we should bench Franzen: watch more hockey. He's one of our best players.

Edited by Agalloch

This board is ******* RIDICULOUS sometimes. One player has one bad game, or if we lose a game, we get twenty threads saying how a certain player should be benched. It happens every time. One mistake around here means a benching. Absolutely ridiculous. Stop crying because we lost ONE game. It's a team effort, and they collectively lost the game.

And whoever said that we should bench Franzen: watch more hockey. He's one of our best players.

I don't think this is limited to just us. Toronto fans are far, far worse. And this is just the regular season too, since the Leafs don't play in the playoffs. :P

Before entering the playoffs, one of the things I worried about most was the ability for other teams to rattle the Sharks away from their game play with physical play that might anger or fluster Sharks players (thinking Edmonton). In a way, the two controversial hits in our series with the Preds, (the one by Hartnell against Cheechoo, and the one by Radulov against Bernier), proved, I thought, to be a turning point in Sharks discipline - almost like a vaccination.

The only lingering doubt about whether this vaccination would hold was Bertuzzi, because he has been known to rattle Sharks in the past. But even that's gone now, because I think the Sharks realized early on how much discipline would factor into the playoffs - and no doubt how much it factored into the defeat of the Predators. It didn't matter that the Sharks weren't converting on their PP's; only that they had puck possession and were able to grind down and tire out the oft-penalized Preds.

Despite this phenomenon, I believe that Bertuzzi knows by now -- to the point of perfect clarity -- that taking selfish penalties can cost the team in big ways. So I seriously doubt that this negative aspect of Bertuzzi's play will continue into the rest of the series, because Bertuzzi is capable of playing an extremely disciplined game. What's more, he is unbelievably skilled as a player, and a force to be reckoned with when he's on fire. I also happen to believe that Bertuzzi and Holmstrom are two of the very few answers that the Wings have to an already on-fire Thornton. So I agree with those who have said that scratching Bertuzzi would be a mistake.

It made sense for the Sharks to re-scratch Mark Bell (whom I believe Wilson brought in as a possible counter to Bert), as Bell really did prove more liability than asset, and Bell (for as much as I like him) is not a Bertuzzi, who is more like a Pavelski with weight and veteran grit. Bertuzzi, IMO, could well make a huge difference in this series, especially now that (I believe) he's had a chance to see that he's not immune from the requirement for disciplined play from here on in -- which means, I think, more focus for Bertuzzi's actual game, with solid grit and hard hits to match the Sharks thrown in for good measure.

Edited by Grypho

Guest Agalloch

Well, yeah, it happens with every team. It's so annoying coming here after a loss and seeing a bunch of "bench ____!" threads.

Forgive me if this has already been beaten senseless. Bert is coming off a long layoff in which he didn't play hockey for a long time. He hasn't had the chance to get back to 100% and may still have some after affects from his run in with the wall of Oz. He played a handful of regular season games and in the playoffs he hasn't had a chance to play with a consistant line. I'm not opposed to juggling lines to find what fits but Bert needs that constant right now and I'm afraid that time is running out. Homer's return will get 1 rolling, its time for 2 to chip in on O.

Wings in 7, 1 game at a time.

Oh come on one of his penalties he actually deserved. Look at what could have been called against the Sharks though. They have homer refs thats for sure! I think Bertuzzi has been doing just fine, he is not 100% and that is one of the reasons he hasn't been great. I think he has done pretty well with all things considered though. Quit bashing poor Bert, it is not his fault the wings only showed up for half the game. It is a TEAM effort, not a Bertuzzi, Samuelson, or Lang effort. EVERYONE needs to step up if we want to advance in this series.

Well, yeah, it happens with every team. It's so annoying coming here after a loss and seeing a bunch of "bench ____!" threads.

Funny thing is, even after the Wings win you will still see a few "bench Lang!!!!!!!111" threads scattered around. He's just an easy target I guess.

Funny thing is, even after the Wings win you will still see a few "bench Lang!!!!!!!111" threads scattered around. He's just an easy target I guess.

Stop posting it then.... :ph34r:

Benching Bert would be a mistake. He has assests we need in this series.

As much as I like Hudler, I think he is ineffective against the Sharks. Sit Hudler.

Bert did take a few bad penalties in game 3 but the Sharks were interfering all game long without calls. That was a little frustrating.

The wings are not going to be able to put alll the blame on one player. They need to step up the offence as a team. The wings scored more goals in game 5 against Calgary then they have this whole series. If the TEAM can't solve that problem then we are out of yet another post season.

Oh and stop the Hasek bashing. Hasek played a hell of a game. If Cheechoo had shot the puck instead of faking it Hasek would have made the save.

I don't wanna even let myself get all worked up over this. Cause im in a good mood. But this article is a piece of trash. E.J. Hradek is a complete fool. And im not just saying that because of this particular article. He's had a history of being a dumbass. This is the same dude that when the lockout was into February and nearing the deadline for a shortened season, he reported they agreed to a 45mil cap and there was to be a 28 game regular season with full playoffs. Yeah good report there E.J.. Bert has been physical and has battled in the trenches. f*** Hradek. He's f*cking clueless.

Ahmen brother, now go and push the button for a free Playstation 2. :siren:

HERE (BELOW) IS TODAY'S, E.J. HRADEK ARTICLE ABOUT BENCHING BERT I DIDN'T PROVIDE A LINK CONSIDERING ITS AN ESPN INSIDER'S (PAY SUBSCRIPTION) ARTICLE...WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK, I DON'T AGREE WITH BENCHING HIM....

In reading this thread almost everybody including the person who started this thread stated benching Bertuzzi is a bad idea. Yet just about everybody is talking s***e about this board being "panic stricken" for suggesting Bert be benched. Did I miss something here? Shouldn't ESPN get the wrath of some of you guys, not this board for being "ridiculous"?

Why is ESPN even talking about hockey? They don't give a rats ass about hockey since it left ESPN. And why is everyone looking into ESPN articles for hockey?

*Insert next overdramatized ESPN sucks post here*

What a ignorant article. Bertuzzi brings plenty to the Red Wings lineup except penalties. In game 2 he got called for hooking after barely touching the guy. How about the NHL benching that referee instead? Perhaps Babcock should bench Hasek too after assisting on Thornton's goal in that very same game? :rolleyes:

Edited by RyanBarnes!