• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heroes of Hockeytown

Second Round MVP

Rate this topic

A little late, but the topic returns.

This series, I think, is a tough one to choose a single guy. The contributions were spread out pretty evenly amongst the team. I guess the stock answer of Lidstrom isn't a bad choice; he was his usual stellar self: defending, scoring, tending goal.

Hasek made a couple gaffes, but his close-out, shut-the-door, this-game-is-f***in-over ability can't be ignored. He had a great series.

Pavel, well, he scored two of the biggest goals of the playoffs and played sound offensive and defensive hockey throughout. He's one of the best friggin' pick pockets I've ever seen, and the guy he's forechecking can never be sure he's gotten away from Pavel with the puck secure on his stick.

Homer, well, the Wings never lost once he returned to the line up. He scored big points and got under the Sharks' skin. I'll never forget him sticking up for Hank and dropping Rivet.

I don't know that you can define a series MVP by a single play, a solitary moment in time, but if you can, Bob gets the nod. :P As I choose to define MVP by consistency and excellence throughout, as opposed to making one big play, even a series-saver: Bob, you get nothing!

Seriously, this is tough. Make your case, lemme see what you think.

Hasek and Homer. We got it all turned around when Homer came back. Dom out played Nabby when he had to even if he did let in some sketchy goals, he played well and was one of the reasons we won the series.

how are you guys forgetting about dan cleary? i mean he did only get one goal but its the lil things he does.

also i just wanna say the guys you rip on all the time in here really played big. sammy, lilja, and lang

NHL.com poll: "Who was Detroit's MVP in their series victory against San Jose?"

standing as of now:

hasek with 33% of the votes,

lidstrom with 21% and

datsuyk with 14%

Babcock. (If it has to be a player, I vote Lidstrom)

He's gotten this same team as last year who was too soft, too slow and too old to play the style of hockey that people have cried for since we lost to Anaheim in 2003. Sure we added Bertuzzi and Calder, but no one can say that they were a major reason why we're playing like this. Bert has dished out some monster hits, but he's not the one who's set the tone, it's guys like Lilja and Cleary.

He's gotten guys like Cleary and Franzen to play the type of hockey that we need to be able to win in the playoffs. He's gotten guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg to take hits and give hits. His defensive strategy is just as good as I've ever seen, it's like a python, we just suffocate the the life out of the other team.

I know people didn't like the way he handled Hudler, I know people didn't like the way he buttered up Lang so much and I know people didn't like the way he handled his in-game adjustments, but his coaching style works and it's being shown.

This is the first time since 2002 that we've gotten to the conference finals and it's no coincidence that it has a lot to do with Babcock being behind the bench. Teams are a reflection of their coach and their captain, the Wings never waiver, they never seem to give up they're always composed and almost every game these playoffs they've been in it. Babcock puts us in a position to win every night and that's exactly what you want out of your coach. He gets little credit and a lot of the blame, it's to be expected, but you can't deny the great job he's done. It's not something that the players just "got" they didn't just start playing harder. What has Babcock said all season? He wants the Wings to be a hard team to play against and it has worked.

Cleary has been great, but I don't think he's an "unsung" hero, he's gotten tons of press about his play, he's definitely being recognized.

Babcock has outcoached both Playfair and now Ron Wilson. He's gotten almost every single matchup he's wanted and has given the other team little to nothing to work with. He's got line combos that are playing hard and that are playing at a level that we need them to. He's gotten guys like Lilja to play well above his head and he's smart enough to let players do what they can and not worry about holding them back.

People who blindly hate Babcock for little reasons like he plays Lang, sits Hudler and isn't capable of making a top 5 goaltender of all time change his game have no concept of the job that Babcock has done. This is one of the best coaches the Wings have ever had. No one expected the Wings to be in this position this year, the players should get a ton of credit, but Babcock shouldn't be overlooked.

Edited by Heaton

In moments were it's extremely difficult to pinpoint one star I say as a default, go with the goalie as long as his numbers are above average. As for Hasek's numbers, they're great so he's my choice, Lidstrom being my runner up.