• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

19 C

Chelios not shaking hands . . .

Rate this topic

Is it being blown out of proportion? Sure. The same thing happened in the Anaheim-Minny series. Boogaard didn't join the handshake line. Some speculated it was because Lemaire kept him out. Lemaire doesn't always shake hands with the other team's coaching staff after a series, either. It's not like it never happened before.

That being said, I'm a little disappointed. It's a great tradition in hockey, I think. I love Chelios. The way he plays. So much heart, such a warrior. Every year, we talk about how they're going to play him less to keep him fresh. And every year, all these young defensemen go down and the 40 something Cheli is the one who manages to pull himself up and onto the ice all season long. He had a great playoff season. But yeah, I would have liked to see him shake hands. In hockey, like boxing, you beat the crap out of each other until the final bell (or horn) and then shake hands and say "good luck" afterwards, whether you win or lose.

Mind your own business. I support Cheli and don't need to hear from a fan from another team criticizing him.

It's not up to you to determine who posts here and what they are able to post. Keep these comments to yourself and respect other's opinions and their right to voice them, or you will find yourself unable to post.

Cheli will make it up to Selanne, free dinner to chels bar. Free glass of shut the hell up! lol cmon guys this is stupid, this thread is just retarded. Lets try to think about what the team is going to do next season, enough with all the negative garbage.

I don't think this is that big of a deal. Obviously Cheli was trying to get a point across. This is only a big deal because CBC and maybe Vs (not sure) showed him shaking the coaches hands and then leaving. I read that this happens all of the time, its just not documented or noticed. In fact I remember reading or hearing something about one of the Wings not shaking Claude Lemieux's hand the series after the draper hit. This post is probably echoing a lot of the other posts in this thread, but i just wanted to get this in there

Cheli will make it up to Selanne, free dinner to chels bar. Free glass of shut the hell up! lol cmon guys this is stupid, this thread is just retarded. Lets try to think about what the team is going to do next season, enough with all the negative garbage.

Got that right. Still say Cheli's parents should give him a good talkin' to for being so insensitive.

I posted here right after the Pronger hit and stated that I thought that it rated a 5 game suspension.

No homer glasses here. Enough with the goon and classless talk and the California fans suck crap.

I respect the Wings and their fans. I wished that I lived in a place called "hockeytown".

I love hockey and would never disrespect the game or my team by not shaking hands.

Don't let a few idiots spoil the bunch for you.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I have to go against the tide here. Chelie should have shaken hands, period. If you're going to play the game, you respect the traditions that have been in place for decades. There's nothing that happened in this series that would give him a grudge against the entire team. They won fair and square (a debate for another time) and he should have been out there with the rest of his team.

I wouldn't mind hearing his logic, though.

I agree with you for the most part. Not hearing Chely's side of things it's hard to say either way if he had any kind of reason not to so until he speaks about it I dunno what to really think.

As far as tradition goes, i'm old school hockey all the way and think you should shake hands. I mean, look at Homer and Pronger, they had a nice moment, patted each other and cracked a smile. If those 2 can let it go and appreciate each other's efforts then so can everyone else.

However, on the flip side of that coin my favorite player of all time was Dino and the comments he made about Lemieux and the FACT that McCarty shook everyone's hand against Colorado except Lemieux I fully understand as well.

No matter how pure the purists are the handshake is about respecting the game and your opponent. But there have been certain things that have happened in this great sport that can make it impossible to respect your opponent. When Lemieux deliberately hit Draper he wasn't respecting Draper, Draper's well-being or the game of hockey. Is he then deserving of a respectful handshake from Draper or any of the Wings for that matter?

I get both sides of the argument. In this case, until Chely says why, then i'm going to let it slide. It ain't a big deal in my book for any number of reasons today. Most of which are, who is going to tend goal for us next season, are Markov, Schnieder and the other FA's coming back? Will Hudler, Kindl or Grigs make next year's team? Is Kenny going to dabble in the market. How do we get bigger? That last one is my biggest concern. This team has got to get bigger. Look at what the Getzlaf line did. Those are big boys and all around the league teams are getting bigger and their dmen are getting bigger as well. Bert may not be back, Lang may not be back, Homer is getting older, who is going to fill that void of size and grit up front for us and where do we get a guy like ODonnell or Jason Smith or another big, 220lb guy who is stay at home and can block shots and actually make a significant impact when he hits people. All this is way more important to me than Chely not shaking hands.

Okay, that part about respecting Wings fans? You're making it hard.

Perhaps that was a tad too brash. I should have reiterated that it's mostly Pronger who I couldn't stand to see win a Cup.

Is it being blown out of proportion? Sure. The same thing happened in the Anaheim-Minny series. Boogaard didn't join the handshake line. Some speculated it was because Lemaire kept him out. Lemaire doesn't always shake hands with the other team's coaching staff after a series, either. It's not like it never happened before.

That being said, I'm a little disappointed. It's a great tradition in hockey, I think. I love Chelios. The way he plays. So much heart, such a warrior. Every year, we talk about how they're going to play him less to keep him fresh. And every year, all these young defensemen go down and the 40 something Cheli is the one who manages to pull himself up and onto the ice all season long. He had a great playoff season. But yeah, I would have liked to see him shake hands. In hockey, like boxing, you beat the crap out of each other until the final bell (or horn) and then shake hands and say "good luck" afterwards, whether you win or lose.

What he said.

This actually does disappoint me a bit. I realize he's a veteran and I realize he is allowed to do whatever he wants to do, but it is a reflection on the organization and the Detroit Red Wings are a hell of a lot more classy than not shaking hands with an opponent after a loss.

Edited by RedWingsFanatic

Perhaps that was a tad too brash. I should have reiterated that it's mostly Pronger who I couldn't stand to see win a Cup.

Well, he won't win one this year, so don't lose any sleep over that.

Eh, maybe it is being blown out of proportion but I am personally disappointed. As wings fans we often talk about how classy our team is while ripping into other teams players. What Chelios did is a very poor representation of a team that had gained some respect from the hockey world in these playoffs.

Honestly, for the oldest player in the NHL, what he did made him seem like he had the mentality of a 5 year old.

Chelly is on wdfn every Thursday at 5pm. We'll see what he has to say then.

Let's discuss this for the next five months.

Ahhh that was great... totally made me bust out laughing :D

I didn't see any of this mess either as I too had to leave the room *blah*

Not that my opinion matters but I just feel like he's an adult, it's his decision, I'm sure he had his reasons, and I don't think any less of him for it *shrug* Not a big deal to me but hey I was a gymnast for 12 years... we don't shake hands after a competition lol

If it was a certain player or players Chelios did not want to shake hands with, he should of not shaken hands with those players.

Better yet he should of done the old extend your hand and pull away at the last second and run his fingers threw his hair trick. That would of been hilarious!! :sly:

This personally bothers me. I was playing in a HS game against our school rivals and the game broke into an all out brawl (this is an no fighting league) and after it was said and done, we all still shook their hands and they beat us 8-1.

My point is, no matter what you should shake hands. No one is an exception from the rules. Most Wings fans have been complaining that the Ducks were 'classless'. Last time I checked, not participating in the hand shake is classless too.

Anyone who thinks Chelios isn't a great guy simply doesn't know him at all. He's a character and he's grumpier than anyone on the ice, but so what? "Classy" players are over-rated, not to mention very, very subjective by definition.

Cheli's OK in my book. If he didn't want to shake the players' hands, it's his business. It doesn't reflect on the Wings organization in any way, if you ask me. Ducks fans should be more worried about staring down Emery and trying to stop the pop-gun offense in Ottawa, instead of whimpering about Cheli.

This personally bothers me. I was playing in a HS game against our school rivals and the game broke into an all out brawl (this is an no fighting league) and after it was said and done, we all still shook their hands and they beat us 8-1.

My point is, no matter what you should shake hands. No one is an exception from the rules. Most Wings fans have been complaining that the Ducks were 'classless'. Last time I checked, not participating in the hand shake is classless too.

Hmmm the only Duck I might have called "classless" would be Pronger - but that's not really the right word anyways. I've already said he should have gone through the line. However, I don't think it's a "rule" that you have to do it. I would think the Wings organization might not like it since it reflects on them, but I don't know if you can force someone to do it - just like you cannot force someone to be nice on the ice...