• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gwelch1340

Opinions: Most improved player?

Rate this topic

I want to start off by saying that I think the fans here at letsgowings.com are the best most intelligent fans on the internet. I am surprised that there haven't been a sea of complaints after this WCF loss. I believe, as many of you believe, that our team played as well as they could. Of course factoring all the injuries on our team. It actually made it very entertaining to watch some of our young talent and i would like to ask everyone this question.

Of the young talent on our team, who do you believe displayed the most improvement during the playoffs?

Personally, the name Valterri Flippula kept popping up on the ice. He had a lot of scoring chances in the last series against the ducks and played a lot of two way hockey. And I for one would give him the nomination even though his stats don't reflect highly on his performance. In my mind his puck sense and control in was phenomenal and i hope that he begins to shine next year or in the years to follow.

So who do you have? Cleary, Franzen, Lebda etc? Lets here it.

And here is to next year. Grigorenko get you butt over here. :hehe:

Love you guys even though i don't speak up much.

Cleary for the regular season for me. Even though he was kind of streaky. Flip was great once he got his role up in the Bigs.

For the playoffs, I think #3 should get some credit. I know he made a HUGE mistake and cost us a game, but he was way better than I think everyone expected. Especially considering how much people seem to dislike him on here.

EDIT: And let's not forget the way Datsyuk played this Playoffs....

Edited by rage

For the last month of the regular season into the playoffs, Im gonna have to say Lilja. He was playing on par with some of the best shutdown defenseman in the game.

For the playoffs, Datsyuk

Overall: Cleary followed by Filppula.

Playoffs?

Lilja hands down. The difference between last year, and this year is like night and day. It was like getting a whole different player. Yes, he made a huge mistake, but it was just that, a mistake. He was a big player (defensively) for the wings. And I used to hate him. I hope he returns playing the same way next season. It will make Babcocks job a little more difficult.

That beings said, Filps made a big name for himself too.

SWF, I thought sammy took a step back from last season. granted, he was hurt for a while, but I just didn't feel his impact that he had last year. Mule and Flipper really impressed me this season.

Edited by rwfan007

Lilija wow did hell just freeze over lol

Gotta give credit where credit is due. He has picked up on so many levels. Laying hits. Good sound defensive playing. Very FEW mistakes / turnovers. Sorry, but I was just really impressed with the way he picked it up. I think being benched for half the season helped him realize why he was brought to Detroit. Props to him for being smart enough to catch on. :clap:

Most improved regular season: Cleary then Lilja

Most improved playoffs: Datsyuk followed by Lilja

Rookie surprise: Flip then Quincey

No way we expected to get 20 goals out of Cleary during the regular season. By the end of the seaon I was cheering Lilja instead of cringing at him being on the ice. The thing that turned it around was when he fought instead of turtled. I think that it gave him a new confidence and made him realize that he had a big body and could lay it on people.

Datsyuk, a long-time playoff no-show, brought it in the playoffs this year. As he was the biggest question mark for the Wings in the post season, it was awesome to see him actually live up to his potential. Lilja was (I can't believe I am writing this) our most solid playoff D-man.

As for the rookies, if I squinted a little to blur the numbers on his back, Flip showed some flashes of Fedorov. He used his foot speed, which isn't quite Feddy-esque, and his strength on his skates to beat D-men to the outside. Now if only he could get the outside to insode move going. Quincey was just... solid in the playoffs. I kept scratching my head when he was out during the OT against the Flames, but I was pleasantly surprised when he proved himself to be solid, making the simple play and not trying to get too fancy.

Most improved regular season: Cleary then Lilja

Most improved playoffs: Datsyuk followed by Lilja

Rookie surprise: Flip then Quincey

No way we expected to get 20 goals out of Cleary during the regular season. By the end of the seaon I was cheering Lilja instead of cringing at him being on the ice. The thing that turned it around was when he fought instead of turtled. I think that it gave him a new confidence and made him realize that he had a big body and could lay it on people.

Datsyuk, a long-time playoff no-show, brought it in the playoffs this year. As he was the biggest question mark for the Wings in the post season, it was awesome to see him actually live up to his potential. Lilja was (I can't believe I am writing this) our most solid playoff D-man.

As for the rookies, if I squinted a little to blur the numbers on his back, Flip showed some flashes of Fedorov. He used his foot speed, which isn't quite Feddy-esque, and his strength on his skates to beat D-men to the outside. Now if only he could get the outside to insode move going. Quincey was just... solid in the playoffs. I kept scratching my head when he was out during the OT against the Flames, but I was pleasantly surprised when he proved himself to be solid, making the simple play and not trying to get too fancy.

Oh man, I totally forgot about Quincey! This kid wants a roster spot! He played really solid defense for the time he was out there, and while he didn't have any goals, he had a lot of good chances!

I have to say Datsyuk. He proved to me the past couple months that he can be one of the go to guys when the games really count. If he didn't produce this year in the playoffs, despite his long term contract, I would have wanted him out of town.

It's crazy how when you think about it so many people improved: Cleary, Lilja, Flip, Datsyuk in the playoffs, and Quincey definitely didn't show his inexperience in these playoffs.

Overall though, I'd have to say Flip, especially during this Ducks series. He made Niedermayer look like the hack of a defenseman he is on several occasions, and the faith that Babcock showed in him throughout the playoffs has to say something.

Even though he made the play that could've cost us the playoffs.... Lil' Ja has been by far the most improved player in my mind.

Playoffs, Lilja, without question. I think the serious bashers are silenced for now, Andreas. Stellar job, even with the turnover. No one was more devastated than he was over that.

Season: Dan Cleary was amazing. Close runners up for best in show, regular season: Johan Franzen, our Mule. And right behind him, Markov.

I'd say Flapjack, all the way. He seemed to be the only guy playing during some of the tough-to-watch games in the Calgary and San Jose series. After that? Dan "Newfie" Cleary :thumbup:

Biggest disappointments? Bert and Sammy.