• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Detroit # 1 Fan

Samsonov traded to Chicago

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211004&hubname=nhl

Nice deal for Montreal.

Montreal trades Forward Sergei Samsonov for D Jassen Cullimore and Forward Tony Salmailnen.

It has been agreed upon that Montreal will buy out Cullimores contract.

So basically dumping Samsonov on Chicago for a decent young player.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

I'm surprised Aucoin wasn't going the other way to replace Souray.

Looks like the Canadiens agreed to buy out Cullimore.

Edited by ARice89

Montreal got a steal. Cullimore's contract will only be a small hit to the Cap, and Salmailnen doesn't make hardly anything either. He has potential too.

I wonder what this'll do for Samsonov. Playing in a no pressure market like Chicago might revive his career. We'll wait and see.

Montreal got a steal. Cullimore's contract will only be a small hit to the Cap, and Salmailnen doesn't make hardly anything either. He has potential too.

I wonder what this'll do for Samsonov. Playing in a no pressure market like Chicago might revive his career. We'll wait and see.

Another small injury prone Black Hawk player = More Red Wing wins agaisnt the Hawks next season ! :D

Though , if he plays on a line with Havlat and Williams/Handzus , he could have a decent season.

Another small injury prone Black Hawk player = More Red Wing wins agaisnt the Hawks next season ! :D

Though , if he plays on a line with Havlat and Williams/Handzus , he could have a decent season.

Hah! Even in Chicago Williams is not a top line player. Don't kid yourself. :P

so what was the point of even trading Jassen Cullimore when the Habs were just going to buy his contract out?

This trade wasn't about the actual players involved so much as it was about the cap space they represent...especially as far as Montreal was concerned. Cullimore was probably going to be bought out one way or another, his salary was just thrown in to even up the trade a bit.

ON PAPER

To Chicago:

Samsonov (3.5m/season)

To Montreal:

Cullimore (1.9m/season)

Salmelainen (750k/season)

IN REALITY

To Chicago:

Risky upgrade on LW

To Montreal:

$850k cap space

This trade wasn't about the actual players involved so much as it was about the cap space they represent...especially as far as Montreal was concerned. Cullimore was probably going to be bought out one way or another, his salary was just thrown in to even up the trade a bit.

ON PAPER

To Chicago:

Samsonov (3.5m/season)

To Montreal:

Cullimore (1.9m/season)

Salmelainen (750k/season)

IN REALITY

To Chicago:

Risky upgrade on LW

To Montreal:

$850k cap space

makes sense to me.

Looks like the Habs are going into the FA market!!. Lets face it The Habs have been terrible ever since 1993. Well maybe not terrible, but since Roy was traded at least. It was nice to see two Original Six teams make a trade thought!! :D

I'm not by any means saying the Blackhawks are Cup contenders; but, let's not forget the hawks have Toews, and the 1st overall pick, add in martin havlat, samsonov, handzus, and williams, and this team isn't beginning to look half bad. If Khabibulin can play well, this team has a CHANCE to compete for a playoff spot.

This is a little tricky. There are a couple senarios, but since Montreal said it was trade or buy out Samsonov, here is what it looks like in actual cap hits.

If Montreal would have used the buy out option on Samsonov:

2 years at $1.56 cap hit per

This is what is interesting to me, since they are buying out Cullimore, here is what it looks like (with the potential buy out of Salmelainen, and keeping him)

2 years at $760k hit for Cullimore

and/or

1 year at $750k/ 2 years at $300k for Salmelainen

That means if Montreal keeps Salmelainen they will spend $2.27, if they buy him out they spend $2.12.

Samsonov would have cost them $3.12 in a buy out. You have to tip your hat to Montreal in this deal.

I'm not by any means saying the Blackhawks are Cup contenders; but, let's not forget the hawks have Toews, and the 1st overall pick, add in martin havlat, samsonov, handzus, and williams, and this team isn't beginning to look half bad. If Khabibulin can play well, this team has a CHANCE to compete for a playoff spot.

All signs point to Handzus leaving Chicago.

But what is scary is that Chicago could be pretty good if they sign the correct UFA's, and possibly dump A.A.'s contract on someone else.

I hope this the Hawks can get better and compete for playoffs. That means I can really talk trash to some people I know who live in Chicago. :)

Good deal for Montreal, but good deal for Chicago, too:

1) Salmelainen has a little potential, but scored only six goals and eleven assists in his second season and was a -3. He wont be a star, only a somewhat offensive forward.

2) Samsonov could be well worth the 3 million in a situation that... is not Montreal. Honestly, their offense is pretty terrible past their first line and first defensive pairing (You might be thinking that Chicago is the same way, but it's different- Montreal plays in a defensive system, and he gets benched when he plays him game, while Chicago is pretty offensive minded, they just need somebody to make the plays (Samsonov!)).

3) Montreal saves space to meet their needs and gets somebody that is at least not a liability, because now that I think about it, a -3 in Chicago= defensive star.

If Montreal would have used the buy out option on Samsonov:

2 years at $1.56 cap hit per. This is what is interesting to me, since they are buying out Cullimore, here is what it looks like (with the potential buy out of Salmelainen, and keeping him).

2 years at $760k hit for Cullimore

and/or

1 year at $750k/ 2 years at $300k for Salmelainen. That means if Montreal keeps Salmelainen they will spend $2.27, if they buy him out they spend $2.12. Samsonov would have cost them $3.12 in a buy out. You have to tip your hat to Montreal in this deal.

All signs point to Handzus leaving Chicago.

The formula for a buyout is 2/3 of the cap hit split over two years.

- Samsonov has 1 year with 3.525 million cap hit, so his buyout hit would have been 1,175,000 for the next two seasons

- Cullimore has 1 year with a cap hit of 1.9 million, so his buyout hit will be 633,333.33 for the next two seasons.

- Salmelainen has 1 year with a cap hit of 700,000, so his buyout would be 233,333.33 for the next two seasons.

So even if the Habs buyout both players, the Habs still have 300,000 each season as opposed to buying out Samsonov themselves. Salmelainen will likely be a depth player, so they fill a roster spot with a cheap salary and save 541,666.67 in cap space, the difference between buying out Samsonov and buying out Cullimore.

I'm surprised Aucoin wasn't going the other way to replace Souray.

Looks like the Canadiens agreed to buy out Cullimore.

classic you take my garbage i ll take your garbage trade

I hope this does kind of rekindle Samsonov's career, it would make for som more exciting games with the Hawks, and if that happened maybe we could get a better rivalry going with em'.

I would love to see chicago good again maybe we can play them in the playoffs it might be a mean nasty series but at least we would not have to go to the west coast

Guest DetroitIan

Looks like we'll be seeing alot of Samsonov now. And all the people on here that talk all that smack about him will see how a change of scenery is just what this guy needed. Just watch how many times he burns us next season. Then we'll see how lazy he is, and how much he "sucks ass". I mean obviously I think we will dominate the Blackhawks next season. But I guaruntee Sergei will be putting pucks behind Dom.

Looks like we'll be seeing alot of Samsonov now. And all the people on here that talk all that smack about him will see how a change of scenery is just what this guy needed. Just watch how many times he burns us next season. Then we'll see how lazy he is, and how much he "sucks ass". I mean obviously I think we will dominate the Blackhawks next season. But I guaruntee Sergei will be putting pucks behind Dom.

Yeah, Sergei Samsonov is probably the best player to come out of Russia.

Let's get serious here. He has never, in a PROFESSIONAL league, put up more than 75 points. Never put up 30 goals. Never put up 50 assists. I find it astonishing how overrated this guy is. He has never done anything overly impressive. EVER.

Does he have the talent to make an impact in the NHL? Sure. But he is coming from one team that is offensively troubled to another. He isn't the playmaking center that the Hawks need to play with Havlat. He probably won't play with Havlat.

Look at the two seasons that Samsonov put up decent numbers in the NHL, 2000-2002. He played with Thornton, playing with Thornton, I could pot 20 goals. Seriously though, if Samsonov is such a goalscoring threat, they why didn't Thornton have more assits while playing with Samsonov? The answer is that Samsonov isn't that much of a threat. As evident by Thorntons numbers when he went to San Jose and played with guys who can put the puck in the net.

Chicago doesn't have anyone to play with Samsonov. He won't be any more effective there than he was in Montreal. I'd be more worried abotu J. Willy.

Please, stop this Samsonov lovetrain before it starts. HE ISN't THAT GOOD!!

What a great move for both teams.

I believe in Samsonov and believe he'll succeed in Chicago. He just wasn't too comfortable with the Habs. As for Montreal's side, Tony Salmailnen will be a great player, trust me, and Cullimore isn't bad for depth. I'm truly exciting, Samsonov and Havlat might very well play good together, and if not Havlat, Ruutu.

Guest DetroitIan

Yeah, Sergei Samsonov is probably the best player to come out of Russia.

Let's get serious here. He has never, in a PROFESSIONAL league, put up more than 75 points. Never put up 30 goals. Never put up 50 assists. I find it astonishing how overrated this guy is. He has never done anything overly impressive. EVER.

Does he have the talent to make an impact in the NHL? Sure. But he is coming from one team that is offensively troubled to another. He isn't the playmaking center that the Hawks need to play with Havlat. He probably won't play with Havlat.

Look at the two seasons that Samsonov put up decent numbers in the NHL, 2000-2002. He played with Thornton, playing with Thornton, I could pot 20 goals. Seriously though, if Samsonov is such a goalscoring threat, they why didn't Thornton have more assits while playing with Samsonov? The answer is that Samsonov isn't that much of a threat. As evident by Thorntons numbers when he went to San Jose and played with guys who can put the puck in the net.

Chicago doesn't have anyone to play with Samsonov. He won't be any more effective there than he was in Montreal. I'd be more worried abotu J. Willy.

Please, stop this Samsonov lovetrain before it starts. HE ISN't THAT GOOD!!

Nobody is saying he's some total SUPERSTAR. It's just that when people say the term, "sucks ass". Thats something that should be reserved for Deverblow or another low-teered NHLer. But the fact is, Samsonov has been a solid player throughout his career, and he has ONE bad season, and now he just sucks balls. :rolleyes: Im not saying he's some amazing player, what Im saying is, he certainly doesnt suck ass because of one bad season with one team. And just watch, I GUARUNTEE he has a better season with crappy Chicago, then he did with the Canadiens. Oh and I would take Samsonov over Williams any day of the week and 3 times on Sunday. And so would any other GM in the NHL.

Gah Chicago you could've done better than Samsonov... Its times like these that I really hate having only 1 other original 6 team in our conference, and it incidentally happens to be one of the worst teams in the league.

I was really hoping Chicago would take advantage of its 1st pick this year and make a couple good trades, and maybe give us a couple good games next year. Oh well, Samsonov isn't that bad I guess...

Gah Chicago you could've done better than Samsonov... Its times like these that I really hate having only 1 other original 6 team in our conference, and it incidentally happens to be one of the worst teams in the league.

I was really hoping Chicago would take advantage of its 1st pick this year and make a couple good trades, and maybe give us a couple good games next year. Oh well, Samsonov isn't that bad I guess...

Yeah I know what you mean, it'd be nice to have some local competition...Nashville is the closest we've had lately, but I've never really been able to get into that "rivalry." The Hawks will be better next season...probably won't make the playoffs but the way things are shaping up they should be able to ice at least two respectable lines and should get solid goaltending. Their big question is defense - they have the makings of a pretty sweet d-core, but no one to lead it. They rely on inexperienced guys like Seabrook and Keith to play 20+ a night which is killing their development and doing them no favors in the long run. If Aucoin stops being s***ty and they acquire at least one established veteran defensemen that can lead the way and teach the young guys how it's done they may be in business.