• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyCrazy3033

Rumor: Blue Jackets may buy out Fedorov's contract

Rate this topic

Fedorov is great for the nostalgia.

No kidding.

Like someone else said, why don't we just bring the '98 Cup team and try to play out the season with them? Hey, it's only been 10 years. Like that's going to make a difference. :rolleyes:

I tell you, I'm already mad enough that Holland is considering bringing Kozlov back. If he even dares bring Fedorov back, I will take back all the nice things I said about him at the trade deadline last season. I might even be inclinded to join the anti-Holland bandwagon, because quite frankly, two old russians from the glory days aren't going to bring anything to this current team.

i'd rather have Kozzie.....but if Fedorov takes a HUGE salary cut (im talking 50%) then I wouldn't mind. I think his presence would also strongly increase attendance at the Joe.

Guest Agalloch

Um, no thanks. Fedorov was great and all, but I'd rather see someone more productive be brought in instead of him.

I don't see the appeal. He's older and been less productive than Robert Lang, and we all know how popular that guy is.....

Fedorov since the lockout

GP G A PTS +/-

73 18 24 42 -7

67 12 32 44 -2

Lang since the lockout

GP G A PTS +/-

81 19 33 52 12

72 20 42 62 17

I think he's pretty much done. IF he gets bought out I'd say bring him on for CHEAP. I can't rationalize him making more than say, Hasek who we know would contribute much more than Fedorov.

*spelling*

You can compare their stats but you have to remember that Lang played for one of the best teams in the NHL and Feds played for one of the worst.

I am not so sure everyone "knew" that Hasek was going to make a contribution at the beginning of last season. I think the majority of us had our doubts about his groin.

That being said I say leave Feds alone. I believe he left craving the spotlight and could not amount. I don't think he fits in our family here. Although I will not rise in anger if he is. This article makes me want Smyth even more.

You can compare their stats but you have to remember that Lang played for one of the best teams in the NHL and Feds played for one of the worst.

I am not so sure everyone "knew" that Hasek was going to make a contribution at the beginning of last season. I think the majority of us had our doubts about his groin.

That being said I say leave Feds alone. I believe he left craving the spotlight and could not amount. I don't think he fits in our family here. Although I will not rise in anger if he is. This article makes me want Smyth even more.

Very true. But Lang also scored 74 pts in 63 games with Washington in 03-04 (79 pts total, 5 with the Wings :D) when the Caps were tied for 2nd worst in the league. The same year Fedorov had 65 pts in 80 games on the Ducks who finished 17 points higher in the standings that year. So Fedorov on a "better" team was already offensively less productive than Lang.

Yeah they are only stats, and don't really factor in defensive ability (although I think the +/- hints at it) but my point is that Lang seems so unpopular on this board and I think Fedorov would be the new Lang.

We get him cheaper than we paid Lang, maybe it's worth a shot. I'd personally rather see the team get younger and tougher, not reach ten years back for an aging player.

As far as Hasek, I sure as hell didn't know he'd have that kind of season. I admit I was pretty nervous when he was signed last year.

Very true. But Lang also scored 74 pts in 63 games with Washington in 03-04 (79 pts total, 5 with the Wings :D) when the Caps were tied for 2nd worst in the league. The same year Fedorov had 65 pts in 80 games on the Ducks who finished 17 points higher in the standings that year. So Fedorov on a "better" team was already offensively less productive than Lang.

Yeah they are only stats, and don't really factor in defensive ability (although I think the +/- hints at it) but my point is that Lang seems so unpopular on this board and I think Fedorov would be the new Lang.

We get him cheaper than we paid Lang, maybe it's worth a shot. I'd personally rather see the team get younger and tougher, not reach ten years back for an aging player.

As far as Hasek, I sure as hell didn't know he'd have that kind of season. I admit I was pretty nervous when he was signed last year.

I'll bet you if Lang was around during the glory years, there would be a ton of people who'd want to keep him because of nostalgia.

That's mainly why these people want to bring Fedorov back. I mean, they can't actually think he'd help this team, do they? Hey, let's sign Alexei Yashin while we're it! And resign Lang! Put together a Fedorov-Yashin-Lang line, and that's probably the slowest moving, laziest line in the history of the NHL.

Everyone's all over me because I want Hartnell on this team, but he brings needed items to this team. Fedorov is washed up, and has been phoneing it in for years now. He needs to hang them up. In fact, he better, because I do not want him coming back here and ruining the new identity the Wings have created for themselves of being a more physical, gritty, and harder team to play against. Fedorov will screw all that up.

A 37 year old underperforming center (who's become injury prone) with a huge contract is just not very high on the Wings list of needs right now.

I could see Kozzie coming back here way before Fedorov. Though I don't think that's necessarily the best move for the team either.

Rick Nash only had like 5 more points than Lang last year. I doubt anyone really thinks lang is as good as Nash is. Feds would fit in great with the line up and the payroll. He's a proven playoff performer who know's what it takes to win. KP, IMO it's staggering how much hatred there is toward the guy both on this board and down at the Joe. But that's been hashed, rehashed, and done again, so there is no point in getting into all that. Maybe some people are jaded or their memory is cloudy, but when it mattered (playoffs) the guy had the heart, skill, work ethic, and toughness to get the job done. Say what you will, but the guy wasn't and still isn't soft, and would complement Babcocks system well. Point is he's an upgrade over at least 6 players on the current forward roster, and probably more than that.

Harold, I just don't really see any baggage that would still be affecting his play on the ice still remaining. I consider that part of it a non-issue.

why is shanahan gets cheered at the joe and feds gets booed fact is shanahan was offered the same money here and he basically told us to shove it federov haters let it go without him we are at a 52 year drought and counting

why is shanahan gets cheered at the joe and feds gets booed fact is shanahan was offered the same money here and he basically told us to shove it federov haters let it go without him we are at a 52 year drought and counting

Yeah I wasn't happy with Shanahan signing in NY to say the least.. but one big difference to me is I don't remember Shanahan -or many Wings for that matter- holding out on a contract for more money.

Fedorov held out 59 games of the 97-98 season cashing out at $28 million for 43 total games, $2 mil base, $14 mil signing bonus and $12 million bonus for the Wings reaching the WCF.

Contract holdouts never win fans over. Heck as a Coyotes fan I'm still bitter about Tkachuk and Khabibulin over that. And yes, still a bit bitter with Fedorov too. I don't hate him, but I am bitter.

*grammar*

Edited by Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Rick Nash only had like 5 more points than Lang last year. I doubt anyone really thinks lang is as good as Nash is. Feds would fit in great with the line up and the payroll. He's a proven playoff performer who know's what it takes to win. KP, IMO it's staggering how much hatred there is toward the guy both on this board and down at the Joe. But that's been hashed, rehashed, and done again, so there is no point in getting into all that. Maybe some people are jaded or their memory is cloudy, but when it mattered (playoffs) the guy had the heart, skill, work ethic, and toughness to get the job done. Say what you will, but the guy wasn't and still isn't soft, and would complement Babcocks system well. Point is he's an upgrade over at least 6 players on the current forward roster, and probably more than that.

Harold, I just don't really see any baggage that would still be affecting his play on the ice still remaining. I consider that part of it a non-issue.

I don't think it's necessarily a deal breaker, but I think there is a serious chemistry consideration to bringing Fedorov back into the fold. I like Sergei, but he's always been a little on the difficult side, and most of all I thought Babcock didn't have a good experience coaching him. (I'm not 100% on that though).

Either way, he's expensive. He's old. He's become injury prone. And I don't think a skilled center is not the top of the Wings priority list right now.

Care to compare Feds' best year to Lang's best? No one, ever, would call Lang on the same level as Feds is in terms of their careers. One is a future HoF member who took the hockey world by storm when he entred the league and played at that level for years, declining as he hit his mid thirties (as most players do!).

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, though, because you're a cool poster with well backed opinons, I did have to call the stat thing out as a hardcore Feds fan.

Apples and oranges.

Fedorov wanted to be "the man" and he knew he'd never find that in Detroit in Stevie's shadow.

Shanny realized that he's part of Detroit's past and the new youth on the team are part of the future.

Fedorov left for ultimately selfish reasons. Shanny left for the good of the Wings.

Apples and oranges.

Apples and oranges.

Fedorov wanted to be "the man" and he knew he'd never find that in Detroit in Stevie's shadow.

Shanny realized that he's part of Detroit's past and the new youth on the team are part of the future.

Fedorov left for ultimately selfish reasons. Shanny left for the good of the Wings.

Apples and oranges.

The part about Fedorov is your opinion, not fact.

Should Cheli, Draper, Maltby, and Osgood be booed, because they are clearly part of the past, taking spots away from youth? The future. Believe whatever you want to, but I think it's just as "selfish" for fans to see everything the guy gave to the team and it's fans, and then boo him cause he only spent 14 seasons here. :rolleyes: Who's really the greedy one?

edit-- 13 seasons not 14 sorry.

Edited by bringback91

Hey everyone, what do you call a homosexual knight?

Sirgay!

:tomato:

Edit: screwed up my own joke

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I second this Cap'n. :thumbup:

Did any of the Fedorov fans out there watch the playoffs this past season? The Wings made enormous strides with their grit and hardwork style of play and came up just a bit short. And what did we learn? We learned that we still need to get bigger, stronger and grittier throughout the lineup. Knowing this some of you people want to bring in a 37 year old, 3 steps slower than when he left forward who has been dogged by the lack of 100% effort tag his entire career?

Sometimes I wonder if your love for Fedorov outshines your love of the Red Wings because Fedorov is not the player that can get this team over the hump. Ryan Smyth, Scott Hartnell (ugghh, I know I hate to say it but its true), guys that are big, strong, go to the net and get dirty are the guys that'll get us to the next level.

We made huge strides this year and all you want to do is f*** all that up by bringing back Fedorov?

Did any of the Fedorov fans out there watch the playoffs this past season? The Wings made enormous strides with their grit and hardwork style of play and came up just a bit short. And what did we learn? We learned that we still need to get bigger, stronger and grittier throughout the lineup. Knowing this some of you people want to bring in a 37 year old, 3 steps slower than when he left forward who has been dogged by the lack of 100% effort tag his entire career?

Sometimes I wonder if your love for Fedorov outshines your love of the Red Wings because Fedorov is not the player that can get this team over the hump. Ryan Smyth, Scott Hartnell (ugghh, I know I hate to say it but its true), guys that are big, strong, go to the net and get dirty are the guys that'll get us to the next level.

We made huge strides this year and all you want to do is f*** all that up by bringing back Fedorov?

Arrr, what i learned is that while Hank was excellent on home ice... he did not make the trip t' the visitin' teams arena. Me also learned that since the win's management backed feds int' a corner and forced him out, we have not had the scorin' t' get us o'er the hump.

That is why I want t' f*** that up by brin'in' sergei back... becuase currently our playoff scorin' is and has been f***ed since he left.

Arrr, i also feel that if we be t' brin' somebody in (ob'iously no body except me can actually stand a wings team for more than one year... you always have t' get the the "next" one) Me would rather it would be someone who contributed a hell o' a lot more t' this team than many current players on the roster.

savvy?

Edited by OsGOD

The part about Fedorov is your opinion, not fact.

Should Cheli, Draper, Maltby, and Osgood be booed, because they are clearly part of the past, taking spots away from youth? The future. Believe whatever you want to, but I think it's just as "selfish" for fans to see everything the guy gave to the team and it's fans, and then boo him cause he only spent 14 seasons here. :rolleyes: Who's really the greedy one?

edit-- 13 seasons not 14 sorry.

Ozzie was booed A LOT! but in th' goaltending way... OSSSSSSSSS-GGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Edited by OsGOD

Apples and oranges.

Apples and oranges.

Shanny left because he wasn't going to be the man AFTER STEVIE LEFT. Fedorov had an offer made for 5 years, 50m where the fifth year was pulled and never put back while Fedorov was going through personal problems. The Wings only ever offered 4/40 after that. He instead signed with Anaheim, who offered him 5 years for the sme 40 million. Just think for a second. What would the Wings have looked like in 2005-06 had Fedorov signed Holland's 4/40 or 5/50 deal? Assuming Lang is never acquired, the Wings would have been on the hook for an additional 3.8m...which probably means no Shanahan and/or no Schneider coming out of the lockout.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Arrr, what i learned is that while Hank was excellent on home ice... he did not make the trip t' the visitin' teams arena. Me also learned that since the win's management backed feds int' a corner and forced him out, we have not had the scorin' t' get us o'er the hump.

That is why I want t' f*** that up by brin'in' sergei back... becuase currently our playoff scorin' is and has been f***ed since he left.

Arrr, i also feel that if we be t' brin' somebody in (ob'iously no body except me can actually stand a wings team for more than one year... you always have t' get the the "next" one) Me would rather it would be someone who contributed a hell o' a lot more t' this team than many current players on the roster.

savvy?

Definitely our offense needs a boost in the playoffs. Although is Fedorov the kind of offensive presence the playoffs require? I suppose if we plan on winning Stanley Cups on the power play he'd be helpful. Truth be told i'd rather have players that can fight their way to the net and create goals without having to have a power play to do it, especially in the playoffs.

Dustin Penner, Ryan Getzlaf, Correy Perry, Travis Moen = big, young, strong, go to the net, fight for garbage goals, win Stanley Cup and not have to do it all on the Power Play. Fedorov is none of these things and the Wings need somebody who is.