• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

North Guy

Bertuzzi a Duck: 2-Years, $8M

Rate this topic

two completely different situations...Hatcher is a gronk and he's too slow...Rafalski can actually skate and move the puck...he won't be here for just one season and he'll be worth the money

but that is exactly the same way I was lookin' at Bertuzzi a summer t' heal and Me think he would be well worth the 8million for 2 years har. We be all just 1/2 empty on one side o' th' issue and 1/2 full on th; other side.

Edited by OsGOD

Apparently I'm late to the party but its horrible, this decision.

What's horrible about letting a $4 million/year back-injured player that hasn't been the same since 2004 go?

This isn't directed at you ChitownWingsfan:

I'm as bummed about losing Bert as anyone, but I don't want him for $4 million per. Besides, if Kenny had signed him for that, this thread would have 379 posts b*tching that he's out of his mind and way overpaid for him.

Kenny and Co can't win no matter what they do.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

After a few days to digest this happening.... I feel a lot better about how Holland is handling things.

I've read about a ton of contracts where players are in my opinion being overpaid and signed for way longer than I'd want most players locked in for.

Bert at $8 mil for two years is one of those contracts. MAYBE he goes out and proves he's not finished, but that is a big maybe at 4mil of cap space til the summer of '09. I wanted to see what he could do with a one year contract but he wanted more money, and I don't blame him since I've never been offered an 8 million dollar contract. But I am still pissed he chose the damn Ducks!

I trust Holland to fill the gaps nicely and leave some room for a nice trade deadline day pickup or two.

Edited by Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Come on Cap'n. You don't honestly think Rafalski has a better chance of working out than the lumbering oaf? (Actually I thought Hatch had a pretty good playoff that year considering) The Rafalski deal was a good one IMO. If you ask me the Kronwall deal is the gamble, and I like the guy.

And you can't blame Holland on Hatcher hurting his knee, or Hatcher for that matter. That was just really bad luck. There is always that risk that someone could get hurt. No one saw Fischer's heart problem or Greg Johnson's either. I worry about Kronwall too. But if he's healthy, and well if everybody's healthy, the Wings are better on D this coming year than they were in the playoffs, imo.

I trust Holland to fill the gaps nicely and leave some room for a nice trade deadline day pickup or two.

I do too. I don't know why people are getting so upset about this. I would have liked to see him back but not at that price. The Wings, and Holland, have proven most of the people in here wrong the last 2 years. After the lockout no one though Dats and Hank would be signed and the other signings like Sammy and Lilja would work but they did. And even hockey writers were counting the Wings out the last 2 years. I remember one person, a fan and actually a few fans in here not a writer, saying the Blue Jackets were going to challenge the Wings for the central back in 05-06. how did that work out? People start worrying way too quickly.

Edited by StevieY9802

After a few days to digest this happening.... I feel a lot better about how Holland is handling things.

I've read about a ton of contracts being where players are in my opinion being overpaid and given contracts way longer than I'd want most players locked in for.

Bert at $8 mil for two years is one of those contracts. MAYBE he goes out and proves he's not finished, but that is a big maybe at 4mil of cap space til the summer of '09.

is that an o'erpayment or the current goin' rate for players with the cap constantly increasin' now?

is that an o'erpayment or the current goin' rate for players with the cap constantly increasin' now?

Maybe a lil bit of both. But lets see how these free spending teams do the next few years if the cap stops rising or when their current contracts with up and coming players expire. They won't have room to breathe.

Not to answer this question for Wings_Fan_In_Exhile, but we'll see how many Tampa Bay's there are come April.

Methinks we are on the same page.

Oh and HockeyCrazy3033 I happen to like your positive posts amid all the player bashing that goes on here, helps even things out. But if Bert "wanted to stay in Detroit" he would have.

Maybe a lil bit of both. But lets see how these free spending teams do the next few years if the cap stops rising or when their current contracts with up and coming players expire. They won't have room to breathe.

yeah I'll be watching that too. Philly and NYR are the teams I will keep an eye on. I just don't understand. The Wings paid what was market for Rafalski and 6mil won't hur them too bad and 5 years isn't a crazy length. 6-8 is.

Dam why must everyone go to the ducks, just like when feds left. I'm surprised Lang didn't sign with them! Gawd, why is it every year the Ducks beat us we lose someone or two good players? I thought Bert WANTED to stay with Detroit? it seems to be a vicous cycle.

Edited by 96Homer

My initial reaction was mostly emotional. I had been happy to see him in Detroit, who had been in need of a physical presence. As much as I was excited at his potential from what I saw in the playoffs, there is no way I'd pay him $4M per year, for two years! I don't begrudge Todd his decision to go to Anaheim, and Burke remains one of my favorite GMs of all time (because I like physical, old-school hockey).

That said I have confidence in the Holy Trinity of Hockeytown (Kenny, Scottie, and Stevie), and I look forward to this upcoming season. We have some solid young talent that needs development, this will be a good opportunity for them. It will also give us the space under the cap to pull off a blockbuster trade (or two) during the season or at the deadline.

How you guys are always shocked by Kenny talking big about gaining size upfront and not doing anything is beyond me.

Am I the only one that saw this coming?

I don't get it, what is the guy supposed to do? Wrap 10 mil up in Bert and Big E just to get some freaking size? I'm sure he could pay Lomas Brown 3 mil to play right wing too, but it wouldn't be worth it.

*free lions reference to lighten the mood :D *

Maybe there saving cap for Feds. :ph34r:

Deadline day the head line will read..........BOO NO MORE, WELCOME BACK SERGEI AND STANLEY!

Aye, i some how missed this... Aye! No sergei no cup.

Me thought it was Hasek but we did nah get t' the finals last year either.

Edited by OsGOD

How you guys are always shocked by Kenny talking big about gaining size upfront and not doing anything is beyond me.

The Wings may have lost Bert to Anaheim, but did you already forget that it was Kenny that brought him here in the first place?

The Wings may have lost Bert to Anaheim, but did you already forget that it was Kenny that brought him here in the first place?

Yes, for all 10 games he played in our uni.

I stand by what I said before we ran out of time with the deadline, we sign Hasek and one key guy. Lose the rest and sign a few bums.

So far we have lost Bert, Schneider, and having a heck of a time with Markov.

Signed Rafalski, and are on the verge with Dom.

All we need is two scumbags and Kenny will think he has done good.

Why does he insist on talking about becoming tougher but cant ever seem to actually do anything about it?

I wish hed shut up about it already.

[barnesbrothers]

I'm a little disappoionted we didn't sign Bert, but more than that I am growing more and more frustrated with Holland's inability to get some size and toughness back on the team. It's always going to be expensive to bring in a player like that unless you've developed him through the draft, but at some point you've got to bite the bullet.

Some people seem to think the Wings have always been a finesse team and that's how they won the Cups. Not so. In terms of size/toughness over the years we've lost McCarty, Lapointe, Ward, Fischer, Shanahan, hell even Dandenault would drop the gloves sometimes, all the way back to Fetisov and Konstantinov. The Wings could play the skill game, but they also didn't take sh*t from anybody.

I don't want goons, but the Wings need to get back team toughness and size. They showed a lot of heart and grit this last playoffs, way more than I expected from this lineup. But they still need some big tough bodies to help out.

[/barnesbrothers]

I stand by what I said before we ran out of time with the deadline, we sign Hasek and one key guy. Lose the rest and sign a few bums.

Why does he insist on talking about becoming tougher but cant ever seem to actually do anything about it?

Did you not get the point of my post?

Like it or not, Kenny brought in Markov. Kenny brought in Bert. True, Bert left on his own, but its not like Kenny hasn't started to address size.

Sidenote: What does Schneider have anything to do with your arguement?

:unsure: Soooo, I take it your not a Kenny Holland fan.

Listen I think we're all pissed off about the Wings losing Bert . But IMO Kenny does a good job for the Wings. He's done well since the cap was introduced in getting down the salary and maintaining the Wings performance as being one of the top team's in the NHL and being a contender for the Cup every season ....have a little faith in the guy.

Edited by glasgowcelticwing

[barnesbrothers]

I'm a little disappoionted we didn't sign Bert, but more than that I am growing more and more frustrated with Holland's inability to get some size and toughness back on the team. It's always going to be expensive to bring in a player like that unless you've developed him through the draft, but at some point you've got to bite the bullet.

Some people seem to think the Wings have always been a finesse team and that's how they won the Cups. Not so. In terms of size/toughness over the years we've lost McCarty, Lapointe, Ward, Fischer, Shanahan, hell even Dandenault would drop the gloves sometimes, all the way back to Fetisov and Konstantinov. The Wings could play the skill game, but they also didn't take sh*t from anybody.

I don't want goons, but the Wings need to get back team toughness and size. They showed a lot of heart and grit this last playoffs, way more than I expected from this lineup. But they still need some big tough bodies to help out.

[/barnesbrothers]

word.

Guest Crymson

That's what everyone said last off-season

Yeah, and look how terribly we did this year.

Gee, in comes the Wings "fan" who is only interested in bashing anything and everything that the team and its management do.

Didn't you realize a long time ago that your sort of behavior is unwanted here?

:unsure: Soooo, I take it your not a Kenny Holland fan.

Listen I think we're all pissed off about the Wings losing Bert . But IMO Kenny does a good job for the Wings. He's done well since the cap was introduced in getting down the salary and maintaining the Wings performance as being one of the top team's in the NHL and being a contender for the Cup every season ....have a little faith in the guy.

Im not a huge fan of Kenny but I dont hate him.

I think he is much better at the deadline than in the off season.

Especially under the cap. He cant seem to get anything done in the off season.

For the last couple times he had to deal with Dats and his crap so that was his excuse.

This year ?

Im just saying, for Kennys sake he should stop talking about adding bigger tougher forwards to this team becasue I dont think he will ever do it.